Switching nic levels. How often do you do it and is it a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
I've been vaping 24mg Caramel Blend (a very nice tobacco type thing) and my battery ran out. So it's charging now and I'm back to EVOD numero uno which has USA Mix at 18mg which I am puffing away on and having to take extra big draws to feel I'm getting a good vape.

I don't know where I'm going with this. I'm sort of thinking aloud, just spilling the contents of my brain into a great big white box which, when I press 'submit new thread' will be open to scrutiny by one and all.

Comment if you like. I would if I was you.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Well, to my mind, there is no reason at all to hurry and reduce the nicotine.
The nicotine is the least harmful substance in tobacco smoke. You smoke for the nicotine, but you die from the smoke.

A lot of new vapers make the mistake of reducing the nicotine too quickly - and many of them end up smoking tobacco cigarettes again. Because they are missing something. Something that they can find - in tobacco cigarettes.

I would recommend using the nicotine level that you are comfortable with and that satisfies you. It is important to feel comfortable with vaping, to enjoy the experience and to get precisely what you want - the flavor, the nicotine, the act of inhaling and having something in your hand - - all that, only minus the harmful smoke as such.

Take your time, please.

I started out with 18 mg nic and I am still at 18 mg nic almost 2 years later. I just consume less liquid now.

Your body will tell you when you have had enough nic for the moment. And then you will put the PV aside automatically, for a while

Enjoy, vape what you like. The nicotine is not the enemy :)

Last edited:

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
Every day,

24, when I get up for the first hour or so.

18, the majority of the day.

6, after 9 pm till lights out.

That's interesting. I start with 18 with a cup of coffee and I'm fine with that most of the day. Evening I switch to 24 I'm trying to stop that though. In fact I'm trying to just stick to 18's just ordered lots of new liquids all 18's.

Well, to my mind, there is no reason at all to hurry and reduce the nicotine.
The nicotine is the least harmful substance in tobacco smoke. You smoke for the nicotine, but you die from the smoke.

A lot of new vapers make the mistake of reducing the nicotine too quickly - and many of them end up smoking tobacco cigarettes again. Because they are missing something. Something that they can find - in tobacco cigarettes.

I would recommend using the nicotine level that you are comfortable with and that satisfies you. It is important to feel comfortable with vaping, to enjoy the experience and to get precisely what you want - the flavor, the nicotine, the act of inhaling and having something in your hand - - all that, only minus the harmful smoke as such.

Take your time, please.

I started out with 18 mg nic and I am still at 18 mg nic almost 2 years later. I just consume less liquid now.

Your body will tell you when you have had enough nic for the moment. And then you will put the PV aside automatically, for a while

Enjoy, vape what you like. The nicotine is not the enemy :)

Thanks Anja I completely agree with this. I've only stopped cigs 10 days so far and haven't had any desire for a cig at all but I'm wary of lowering nic levels too soon though the 24 hits the spot a bit too much at the moment but no way I will be in any rush to drastically reduce nic levels any time soon. I'm not 'safe' yet :)

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Thanks Anja I completely agree with this. I've only stopped cigs 10 days so far and haven't had any desire for a cig at all but I'm wary of lowering nic levels too soon though the 24 hits the spot a bit too much at the moment but no way I will be in any rush to drastically reduce nic levels any time soon. I'm not 'safe' yet :)

Well, if the 24 is too strong at times, then I think you are completely right going to 18 :)
However, it may be a good idea to keep that opened bottle of 24 - just in case. Many vapers in the German forum have done that. Vape your usual liquid - but when, for whatever reason, that does not satisfy you, then puff away at the stronger liquid until you are satisfied

And nicotine, by itself, without the many harmful substances in the smoke, is about as "dangerous" as caffeine.
The diseases such as cancer, COPD, restricted blood flow to the legs, etc etc, are all caused by the smoke itself. Not by the nicotine.

edit:
(one link)

The paper suggested that even those undesirable contaminants found in e-cigarette vapour were of no health concern as they were found at levels CASAA described as ‘trivial’. Even Nicotine itself has been compared to caffeine in terms of the relatively low risk of ill effects on the body. In short you stand the same low risk of heart problems or strokes as drinking a nice cup of coffee. - See more at: http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/a...armful-than-smoking.html#sthash.SDdUtx0g.dpuf

Last edited:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I started vaping to quit smoking, but to not get rid of nicotine entirely. I enjoyed smoking, but just didn't like what it was doing to me. (Coughing up a lung in the middle of the night, wheezing, etc.)

I started off at 24mg and have cut it down to 4-6mg. And I'm perfectly happy there. No need to switch up strengths during the day, and I'm much happier and sleeping much better at night.

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
Well, if the 24 is too strong at times, then I think you are completely right going to 18 :)
However, it may be a good idea to keep that opened bottle of 24 - just in case. Many vapers in the German forum have done that. Vape your usual liquid - but when, for whatever reason, that does not satisfy you, then puff away at the stronger liquid until you are satisfied

And nicotine, by itself, without the many harmful substances in the smoke, is about as "dangerous" as caffeine.
The diseases such as cancer, COPD, restricted blood flow to the legs, etc etc, are all caused by the smoke itself. Not by the nicotine.

edit:
(one link)

I actually ordered most of my initial liquids in 24mg and will definitely keep some of them for when I need that extra hit. Times of stress, maybe when I'm out drinking with friends and we all get carried away and I get the urge for a cig a 24mg will zap it. It's too much a lot of the time though and I'm working on it. Thanks for that link I was worried I was going a bit nicotine crazy :)

I started vaping to quit smoking, but to not get rid of nicotine entirely. I enjoyed smoking, but just didn't like what it was doing to me. (Coughing up a lung in the middle of the night, wheezing, etc.)

I started off at 24mg and have cut it down to 4-6mg. And I'm perfectly happy there. No need to switch up strengths during the day, and I'm much happier and sleeping much better at night.

You know, I started on e cigs thinking this will work for me I can quit smoking with this. I never really thought about nicotine at all. It's only after I quit I started to analyse it. I suppose we all look back on what a stupid idea it all was once we are on safe ground having moved on. That's fantastic you moved on to low nic levels eventually. Maybe we'll all get there, but if some of us don't, it will never be as bad as smoking cigs, not even close :)

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
@Silent Scream:
that sounds good! :)
And you are absolutely correct!

And there is no need to worry about the nicotine that you vape.
As we all "preach" in the German vapers forum "Nicotine is the least harmful substance in cigarette smoke"

Cigarettes kill, but it's not the nicotine or the tobacco. It's the smoke!

Nearly everyone knows that smoking is unhealthy, but a lot of people continue to smoke to get nicotine from tobacco. Few people realize that it is the smoke, not the nicotine or the tobacco that is actually unhealthy.

source - with a few good links

Once you start reading this stuff, you will be amazed at what .. untruths... people are told in the media. Also about the "evil nicotine". Trust me ;)

Last edited:

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
@Silent Scream:
that sounds good! :)
And you are absolutely correct!

And there is no need to worry about the nicotine that you vape.
As we all "preach" in the German vapers forum "Nicotine is the least harmful substance in cigarette smoke"

source - with a few good links

Once you start reading this stuff, you will be amazed at what .. untruths... people are told in the media. Also about the "evil nicotine". Trust me ;)

I am one of those people who has friends that believed nothing in the world could stop me from smoking. They are all amazed I have stopped. I don't know how to explain to them how easy it was with vaping. There is NO WAY in the world I would have stopped smoking if vaping didn't exist. I feel I've been handed a lifeline out of nowhere.

Ben B Brown

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2013
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
when I started Vaping I was using 36 mg nicotine every month I have reduced my nic level, this week I started using 4 mg nic will stay there for now. I most likely will not give up Vaping as I enjoy the flavors and the hand to mouth is a hard habit to break for me, I do have a few bottles of higher nic around if I need them

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
I've been vaping 24mg Caramel Blend (a very nice tobacco type thing) and my battery ran out. So it's charging now and I'm back to EVOD numero uno which has USA Mix at 18mg which I am puffing away on and having to take extra big draws to feel I'm getting a good vape.

I don't know where I'm going with this. I'm sort of thinking aloud, just spilling the contents of my brain into a great big white box which, when I press 'submit new thread' will be open to scrutiny by one and all.

Comment if you like. I would if I was you.

Hi Silent,

Finding one's comfort zone in milligram vliquid strength is not too too difficult. Your body will actually tell you what feels right. In your case, I would also suggest you mix some of your 24mg and your 18mg to give you a lovely 21mg strength. That might be your ideal, for at least parts of the day, if not for all the time.

Changing nic strengths is not the objective for everyone. I know for me, I started at 18mg (going on 3 years ago) and today I vape.... 18mg! :D

I know vapers of over 4 years into it who are at 24mg and quite happy with it.

Can you describe more of what you mean about "to feel I'm getting a good vape"? There are many factors besides the nic mg. strength. The vliquid delivery system (atomizer, tank, coil, clearo, carto, etc...or as I termed them, "toppers") can also play a part, as can the battery, and even down to the drip tip! :)

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
Hi Silent,

Finding one's comfort zone in milligram vliquid strength is not too too difficult. Your body will actually tell you what feels right. In your case, I would also suggest you mix some of your 24mg and your 18mg to give you a lovely 21mg strength. That might be your ideal, for at least parts of the day, if not for all the time.

Changing nic strengths is not the objective for everyone. I know for me, I started at 18mg (going on 3 years ago) and today I vape.... 18mg! :D

I know vapers of over 4 years into it who are at 24mg and quite happy with it.

Can you describe more of what you mean about "to feel I'm getting a good vape"? There are many factors besides the nic mg. strength. The vliquid delivery system (atomizer, tank, coil, clearo, carto, etc...or as I termed them, "toppers") can also play a part, as can the battery, and even down to the drip tip! :)

Well I'm going to have to be honest, I'm so new to all this I didn't really think about nic levels. I have an EVOD starter kit which I love and various juices and I started on 24mg on the advice of people on forums who said if you're just quitting you need high nicotine.

I think because I got used to the 24 the 18 doesn't feel quite right though I am kind of forcing myself to use 18 through the day right from the start. I have ordered more 18's to come tomorrow or Monday too. The 24 gets me kind of high which is nice but a bit worrying lol.

I'm using a clearomiser it has a single coil I think the battery is just an EVOD which I think is a standard ego I don't really know.

I'm having no issues even the amount of nic is no big deal I have not wanted a cig at all since I started vaping I just got paranoid I was vaping such high nic and then got used to it, almost swapping one addiction for another albeit a less harmful one.

Spiralnebel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2011
Herne @ Germany
:) I am vaping for nearly two years now, started with 16mg nic
and vaping now just 3-6mg. What i can tell you is that in my mind
you just need to hear on your body. If you start coughing with
your regular nic level go 2-3mg down. At the first days you may
will vape more but if you like to reduce your nic level this seems
to be the best way in my mind. Also try various atomizers. The
lowest nic level you will enjoy with dripping atomizers like the
omega cause the clouds are much bigger. Another method you
can try is to put the coil more far away from the air channel cause
this will increase the throat hit. Also play around with different
types of wick and wire and try dual coil setups. Adding menthol
to your liquids is also a well used method :) Good luck

VanessaHuxtable

Sep 27, 2013
USA
My story:

Started at 24mg and now I'm at 12mg. I only started vaping under 4 months ago and the way I have done it is to only order a little bit of the lower nic juice at a time. So if I am rotating 5 flavors... 1 or 2 will be lower nic. This has helped me gradually lower my nic and I only try to do it with new flavors so my expectations of flavor and throat hit aren't made up yet.

I ordered two new Mt Baker Flavors at 6mg the other day... I'm going to try those for a little bit as night time vapes.

The reason I have lowered my nic is because I vape way too much lol. Every ten minutes I'm looking for my pv. So I figured I should lower my nic level at least to justify my vaping habit. I know I must consume more nicotine now vaping than before as a cigarette smoker (one ciggy every 2-3 hours vs a few toots every 5 minutes).

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
I'm the opposite. I don't want to lower too much because I don't want to vape constantly. Not that there is anything wrong with that! :D

People that have lowered nicotine, are you going through more e-liquid?

If you're not intentionally trying to lower nic levels, just listen to your body. When it feels like too much, lower it a bit.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I think because I got used to the 24 the 18 doesn't feel quite right though I am kind of forcing myself to use 18 through the day right from the start. I have ordered more 18's to come tomorrow or Monday too. The 24 gets me kind of high which is nice but a bit worrying lol.

I started vaping 18 months ago at 18 mg and slowly reduced my nic level to zero over about 8 months. What bothered me the most through that was the reduction of throat hit with lower nic juice. I loved TH! It's possible you are experiencing the same thing changing from 24 to 18.

It was very easy for me to get used to lower nic juice because I changed it so slowly. I also did not start for a few months, so I had cigarettes well out of my system. During that time I didn't care about nic level or the amount I vaped, just focused on not smoking. If I had needed 36 mg juice I would have used it. But I used to get a little nic high too when chain vaping 18 so I never tried more and it worked out fine for me.

Best of luck with it!

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
My story:

Started at 24mg and now I'm at 12mg. I only started vaping under 4 months ago and the way I have done it is to only order a little bit of the lower nic juice at a time. So if I am rotating 5 flavors... 1 or 2 will be lower nic. This has helped me gradually lower my nic and I only try to do it with new flavors so my expectations of flavor and throat hit aren't made up yet.

I ordered two new Mt Baker Flavors at 6mg the other day... I'm going to try those for a little bit as night time vapes.

The reason I have lowered my nic is because I vape way too much lol. Every ten minutes I'm looking for my pv. So I figured I should lower my nic level at least to justify my vaping habit. I know I must consume more nicotine now vaping than before as a cigarette smoker (one ciggy every 2-3 hours vs a few toots every 5 minutes).

That's the great thing about vaping. YOU decide what's right and wrong. With cigs you just keep doing it because well... what else is there to do? Though I have to say lowering your nic level because you vape too much sounds weird. Maybe if you raised your nic level you wouldn't vape so much? It's a learning experience for us all.

I'm the opposite. I don't want to lower too much because I don't want to vape constantly. Not that there is anything wrong with that! :D

People that have lowered nicotine, are you going through more e-liquid?

If you're not intentionally trying to lower nic levels, just listen to your body. When it feels like too much, lower it a bit.

It seems lowering nic levels is the new 'let's give up' for vapers. I'm not knocking it, I've been whining about 24mg being too high for me but I absolutely agree, do what feels right till it starts to feel wrong. I don't feel so bad about high nic vaping anymore. I'll get lower eventually or I won't. Anything that keeps me off cigs works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread