Which Mech might be best for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sed Contra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2013
Northeast Ohio
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section of ECF, but I know the rebuildable crowd will know what the best mech options might be for me...

To pre-empt those who might suggest that I "Just get a Provari," I already have a Mini decked out with two Tatroe extension rings for the 18650 and the Tatroe base - I love my Provari, but I'm having difficulties dual coiling my Trident clone. 28 gauge Kanthal works great for single coils, but for dual coils at higher resistance, they take too long to heat up. Unless I'm doing something wrong, even dual 32 gauge coils seem to take too long; 2.0 Ohms at 5.5 volts isn't putting out what a single 28 gauge coil is putting out. Basically, my conclusion is that the Provari isn't the best solution for dual coils. I've even gotten the Provari to work at .8 Ohms, which leaves absolutely no headroom, but between 1.3 and 1.8 Ohms, it's still not satisfying with 28 gauge Kanthal. I'll be ordering 30 gauge, but I suspect that ultimately I'm going to be more satisfied with my Trident with a mech.

First, am I crazy? I love the Provari for what it is, and I'm thinking that it'll work great when my Kafun 3.1's come in (I ordered two clones from fasttech), but considering fasttech's prices, I'm thinking of getting a mod or two for drippers.

Second, if I go the fasttech clone route, which is what I can afford, four options pop out as being particularly strong: the Chi-You, Nemesis, Sentinel, and K100 clones. The price differences between them aside, which is going to be the best option for running a Trident with dual coils? I have never used a mechanical. I know that safety is a concern, and I'll make sure to use an Ohms checker and whatnot. One of the reasons why I started doing more advanced stuff with the Provari is all of the excellent built in safety features, but now I think that I'm at the point where I get into mechs. Is there a clear winner between the Chi-You, Nemesis, Sentinel, and K100 clones? Aesthetics aren't unimportant, but I value other things far more: safety being primary, but also durability and ease of use.

So...for the specific purpose of chasing clouds with a dual coil Trident, which of these is going to be my best option - and why. If there is a better option than these four, what is it, why, and is it in a similar price range? For that matter, is there some reason why I should abandon the Trident and chase clouds with something else?

Thank you very much.

By the way, I'm not opposed to getting two mechs, so feel free to offer the best two choices and why I might want to buy those two to compare with each other or whatever else I might not be thinking of...

Thanks again...it has been three months or so off of cigarettes, and lately I have been struggling every day with dissatisfaction and need to find something that is going to get me through this phase.

Edit: I suppose that it would also be helpful to get advice on battery selections. Currently I use a rotation of 2 AW IMR 18350 and 2 AW IMR 18650 batteries with my Provari, and I have an i4 charger.

Last edited:

patrao_n

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2013
United States
Well looks like you have the batteries taken care of. I would use the imr 18650 by aw. Those have a 24 amp limit I believe. One of the best batteries out there. Sorry I cannot help you on the mech mod though. I am still waiting for my sentinel in brass from fasttech. Reason I chose brass was because from all the reviews about the aluminum one stripping its threads. For 16 bucks even if it doesnt work that well I can mod it and not worry about being out alot of money should I break it.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

justinonymous

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2010
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Between the Chi, Nemesis and Sentinel clones I think they're all about the same performance wise. It's kind of just personal preference. Clouds are mostly in the build, my friend. Be wary that products from Fasttech ARE coming from China and they don't always get it right. Sometimes packages even get lost. My buddy works at a local vape shop and they sell some clones and one of them came with 2 switches. Good luck to you!

Also, use the right batteries.

Cjax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
RVa USA
Short answer, Nemesis. Long answer, of the 4 you suggested the Chi and the Nem are better for voltage drop because of silver plated pins. I'm not sure all the Chi clones have those though because there were so many variations of that one, so make sure it says it in the description. I personally never liked the looks of the original Chi, much less it's clones so I passed on that one. The Nemesis on the other hand is beautiful. Intuitive afc and switch design. Atmo did a very nice job designing the original and China has seemed to reproduce it extremely well. I have one and I use it much more than even my $200+ mods. Both the Chi and Nem clones have their issues, but the Nem seems to be the better of the 2 as far as user testimony goes from what i have read. Also it is smaller than the Chi which is a plus. I also have a brass version on the way and am hoping that will be better a far as voltage drop considering brass's conductivity vs ss. I've owned originals and clones, some i liked and others not so much, but I LOVE my Nemesis clone!

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
yna8udur.jpg

This right here is the best setup available. The mech - a REO grand, and the RBA, a REO RM2 will take your vape beyond the level you seek. It is a juice feeder - you simply squeeze the bottle that is concealed inside the nearly indestructible body of the mod to deliver fresh squeezed juice on demand thru the RBA. It is highly pocketable and quite compact.

The RBA is essentially foolproof and versatile to accommodate many different configs. A basic micro coil like this will blow you away:
aju9utej.jpg

It is the end game vape combination.

Here's a short vid about the grand:
http://youtu.be/WaDqS2kPLo0

It runs on an AW IMR 18650 :)

Here's a link to the forum here on ECF where you will find the most helpful people on ECF and even the maker of the mod / RBA is on there frequently.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/

Last edited:

Sed Contra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2013
Northeast Ohio
Just want to point out that AW 18650s are NOT 24Amp rated by default! The AW IMR 18650 1600mAh is 24 amp max continuous. The 2000mAh is only 10 amps. . . . . . . . . . . as you were :p

Thanks!

So...the immediate conclusion is...wait...thinking out loud...I need to know what the max amperage of the Provari is, and if it's more than 10 amps, I need to "upgrade" from the AW IMR 18650's that I have, which are both 2000 mAh, and get a pair of 1600's. Sweet. If the Provari doesn't allow hitting even 10 amps, then I'm fine with what I have. Homework...gots me some homework to do at the Provapes website!

Sed Contra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2013
Northeast Ohio
This right here is the best setup available. The mech - a REO grand, and the RBA, a REO RM2 will take your vape beyond the level you seek. It is a juice feeder - you simply squeeze the bottle that is concealed inside the nearly indestructible body of the mod to deliver fresh squeezed juice on demand thru the RBA. It is highly pocketable and quite compact.

The RBA is essentially foolproof and versatile to accommodate many different configs. A basic micro coil like this will blow you away:

It is the end game vape combination.

Here's a short vid about the grand:
REO grand - Getting Started Tutorial - YouTube

It runs on an AW IMR 18650 :)

Here's a link to the forum here on ECF where you will find the most helpful people on ECF and even the maker of the mod / RBA is on there frequently.
Reos Mods

I've thought about going that route before, actually, and the REO does look like a rather viable option, if not the final word. All things considered, though, it's not the direction that I'm going to take immediately, since, for one, the REO Grand is outside of my current budget and I want to be able to get more out of what I already have. I cheap mech from Fasttech can get me there...though I recently revisisted nano-coils on my Provari, and that actually got me pretty close to where I want to be - and without any safety concerns that the Provari doesn't mitigate just by doing its thing.

I will definitely keep the REO in mind, though, for the future...it's not hard to see the obvious benefits!

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
the provari isn't going to put a dent in 10 amp batteries. Although I don't know it's exact amp limit; I'm pretty sure it's about half that.

So...the immediate conclusion is...wait...thinking out loud...I need to know what the max amperage of the Provari is, and if it's more than 10 amps, I need to "upgrade" from the AW IMR 18650's that I have, which are both 2000 mAh, and get a pair of 1600's. Sweet. If the Provari doesn't allow hitting even 10 amps, then I'm fine with what I have. Homework...gots me some homework to do at the Provapes website!

Although. . . . . ↑ this and your original post don't really jive(?)

Sed Contra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2013
Northeast Ohio
the provari isn't going to put a dent in 10 amp batteries. Although I don't know it's exact amp limit; I'm pretty sure it's about half that.

Although. . . . . ↑ this and your original post don't really jive(?)

I'm confused...lol. In the above post I'm only referring to being fine with the batteries that I have if the 1600 mAH 18650's aren't going to give the Provari an increase.

I do have to say, though, that since going back to itty bitty micro-coils, I'm a lot more satisfied with the Provari, though. I was trying to wrap bigger diameter dual coils with thicker gauge wire, and it just wouldn't heat up fast enough - nano's work just fine, though. Somebody on Rip Trippers' FB group reminded me of that solution to the problem, and I've been pretty happy ever since. Now, it's not as responsive as .2 Ohms might be, but it's satisfying enough right now. Heck, I just wrapped a single 28 gauge Kanthal nano-coil measuring in at 1.7 Ohms in an A6 RDA with 1/16 air holes, and I'm happily vaping it at 4.8 volts on a Twist right now.

It seems that, if I'm going to use 28 gauge, I have to do nano's if I want any sort of timely response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread