Vamo v5 with v2 head replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicflo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2009
Virginia
Got tired of my tanks popping off my v5 vamo. Ordered 3 of the v2 replacement heads about a month ago or so for $12 shipped. I figured the removable ring looked cool but didnt really serve me any funtional purpose, plus it kind of makes it look more "phallic". I was going to do a video but was too lazy to set everything up sp ill just do steps. This is how i did it.

1. Remove the top ring and pull off the press fit top portion of the battery tube. The battery tube portion should be fairly easy to pull out.
20131027_035844.jpg

2. Attach the threaded bottom portion of the battery tube to where the top beauty ring goes.
20131027_035857.jpg

3. At this point all you are doing is basically wiggling the head off, made easier by having a grip on both sides taking care not to damage the screen and/or buttons. As soon as you can get a tiny gap just keep shifting up the side opposite the side of the largest gap. Keep in mind that the head has short wires soldered to the board inside so make sure you are more gentle if you feel it is about to pop off. you will end up with these pieces:
20131027_040030.jpg

4. This is the self explanatory soldering part. White wire goes to middle post and black goes to the outer well. The heads I got all had a dab of solder already on it to make it easier I guess. Connecting the battery tube extension back to the head while you are "desoldering" will help dissapate the heat and add some weight so that the leads just come right off.
20131027_041206.jpg

5. Thats basically it. With just the head and the main vamo body I set it flat on a solid metal surface (35lb dumbell in my case), then used a scrap piece of 2x4 to tap the new head down into place. I was hitting the edge in one spot as i rotated it to make sure I was making it even.
20131027_041800.jpg

the end.

Last edited:

vicflo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2009
Virginia
Very impressive.

By "popping off," what do you mean? That is, I'm trying to get a read on the exact problem you solved.

oh stripped threads + prefer the v2 look. i was just going to put this on the stripped 510 thread but would have been weird for people to scroll all the way down 2 pages to a how to.

i realized too late that the threads on smoketech cartos are like several nanometers narrower than other cartos/atomizers. plus i happened to push myself up from my couch one day and put pressure right where the atomizer and vamo meet and it just came right off... was never the same ever since. Any top heavy atomizer would just fall off if i just swung it the wrong way.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Hey thanks Vicflo for following through with those pics!! Nice job!! I like the V3/V5 top with removable ring myself, plus I believe the well is bigger on the V3/V5 top so that certain devices like the T3 don't need an adapter. But this guide will work for V3/V5 tops too when they become available. (Thankfully my V3 threads are fine so far but was really interested to see that V5 top come off.) Also good to know about the Smoktech carto threads being narrower and causing issues!

White Rabbit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

i realized too late that the threads on smoketech cartos are like several nanometers narrower than other cartos/atomizers. ......

Vicflo, I am glad someone else noticed this. I use Artemas Tanks with Smoketech flanged 3.0 Ohm single punched cartos from Crystal Clear Vaping and although they say they are 510 threads, I find them very loose on ALL of my devices. I love (most) of their tank cartos, but hate that you need to screw them extremely tight in order to avoid any wobble. I solved the problem short term with a 510 to 510/Ego adapter with a spring loaded center pin. Using that adapter, I can screw the carto down very tight to avoid wobble.

Nice Job on the top replacement. Thanks for posting

The Old Wabbit

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Please Please PUUUUHLEEEEESE!

Provide more detailed pictures of the V3 head and the connector, would it be possible to say get a machinist that knows how to cut threads make another 510/eGo connector and replace a stripped/bad one? My brother could pump out HUNDREDS of replacement 510/eGo connectors in stainless steel or even titanium...the biggest thing would be can it be removed and replaced easily or is it one piece?

Thank you SOOOO much for that how-to and pictorial walkthru on the head removal...I believe that is the first time we have actually seen the top cap on the V3 removed! (the battery tube on the beauty ring threads was freeking GENIUS!!!!!!!)

Is your V5 threads stripped or you just wanted to replace it? (there was a rash of V3 stripped heads that seemed to come out in batches)

Would you be willing to make a video?

Last edited:

vicflo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2009
Virginia
Where do you find V2 top caps for $4 shipped?
I only know 2 shops in the UK offering them for 6.99 british pounds plus 14.50 pounds shipping.
That´s $34.60

from here but it seems they are out of stock and the price has gone up $2. not sure how much international shipping is for them though.

vicflo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2009
Virginia
Please Please PUUUUHLEEEEESE!

Provide more detailed pictures of the V3 head and the connector, would it be possible to say get a machinist that knows how to cut threads make another 510/eGo connector and replace a stripped/bad one? My brother could pump out HUNDREDS of replacement 510/eGo connectors in stainless steel or even titanium...the biggest thing would be can it be removed and replaced easily or is it one piece?

Thank you SOOOO much for that how-to and pictorial walkthru on the head removal...I believe that is the first time we have actually seen the top cap on the V3 removed! (the battery tube on the beauty ring threads was freeking GENIUS!!!!!!!)

Is your V5 threads stripped or you just wanted to replace it? (there was a rash of V3 stripped heads that seemed to come out in batches)

Would you be willing to make a video?

oh my bad i just saw this. i mean if he was going to machine it its probably worth it to just buy one to check out? I thought I threw the v5 top somewhere but its nowhere to be seen... i honestly dont remember throwing it away either.

im not a very big video person lol.

Thommi

Sep 4, 2013
RE, Italy
Thanks vicflo.
$6.99 for a steel one isn´t that much cheaper, considered shipping expenses it might come cheaper to order a complete Vamo V2 from Fasttech or Vaporbreak.

But your idea of replacing one top cap with another got me to think ..... isn´t there some other mod, maybe a cheap mechanical one for which the top cap is available separately with the same diameter?

I.e. I own a Lambo 6.0 which has the precise same diameter as the Vamo, even the extension caps fit into the screws.
It has a screwed top cap, and the cap isn´t available separate, but taking this as an example I assume there should be plenty of other mods with the same diameter and at least for some of them the top cap should be available.
If only I knew which ones fit.

TyPie

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2013
New Joisey (aka NJ)
I have another thread going, asking if there are any V5 owners that also own an earlier version whether or not the 'sinking' center pin issue has been fixed or improved.
Seems weird and a shame that such a well-known, seemingly common defect cannot be addressed adequately in new models, like an easily-replaceable or easily repairable part. This ain't exactly rocket science. (Of course, this is exactly the problem with having to be the low-cost / cheapest provider, or cheap & fast.)

Last edited:

Thommi

Sep 4, 2013
RE, Italy
I don´t mind the problem, after all it´s a real cheap device, so I don´t expect it to be perfect.
I don´t even mind a replacement top cap costing $7.
What I do mind is the fact, this top cap is (as far as the first 10 pages of Google hits can tell) available in only 3 shops worldwide and all of these charge for shipping alone more than a new Vamo costs including shipping.

What we would need is a supplier with lower shipping costs, such as Fasttech stocking these replacement parts.

The side solution would be (as I´m trying right now) finding some other mod where top caps are available for cheap and fit onto a Vamo.

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
My switches keep wearing out. I now have 3 V2 and 1 V3 with intermittent switvhes. Any instructions on how to remove and replace the board. I would like to replace the switch on the V3 as I really like it. I think it's a big improvement over the earlier modeks.

Sent with my arthritic thumbs with proofreading help from the hound!

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
My switches keep wearing out. I now have 3 V2 and 1 V3 with intermittent switvhes. Any instructions on how to remove and replace the board. I would like to replace the switch on the V3 as I really like it. I think it's a big improvement over the earlier modeks.

Sent with my arthritic thumbs with proofreading help from the hound!
It's more than likely the push button...those should be pretty easy to locate once you get it apart and find a part number for the click button, then unsolder and re-solder the new one...no need to replace ALL of it for one single component

specter9mm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
San Diego, CA, USA
Performed this head replacement on my Vamo V3 recently, worked like a champ. The V3 head I got had super loose threads, and the rubber insulator for the positive post would squish out with my tanks screwed all the way in, and completely cut off air flow. Replaced it with my preferred V2 head and it works awesome. Got the replacement heads from Vamo Body Parts

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
bookmarked. now all we need is a success story on an actual V3. genius using the battery tube, nonetheless. Thanks for posting this.

Not a genius, but:

V3_V2_Cap.jpg

Performed this head replacement on my Vamo V3 recently, worked like a champ. The V3 head I got had super loose threads, and the rubber insulator for the positive post would squish out with my tanks screwed all the way in, and completely cut off air flow. Replaced it with my preferred V2 head and it works awesome. Got the replacement heads from Vamo Body Parts

My experience with that vendor was excellent. I purchased one of those top caps and it was on backorder (and was clearly stated on the website). Within a few hours I received an email from the vendor, making sure I understood that the part was on backorder, and giving me a proposed shipping date. When that changed a few days later due to issues with the manufacturer, I received another email.

I like that kind of service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread