• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

new to vaping...need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomacoma

Oct 27, 2013
Toronto
i i have no idea on what to buy out there. The idea of vaping seems to be the lesser of the 2 evils, especially when everything else has failed for me. I'm a pack a day smoker for over 15 years and I'm looking the kick this habit to the curb once and for all. Now with that being said, I am a pure newb to this and with all the different types of e cigs out there that an be customized and to look like the apollo space craft is pretty intimidating. I just want some thing that is ideal for me, to keep the cravings a bay and hope that I can get rid of the cig habit. So with that said, what would your recommendation be for the following: 1. device - I would like to stay away for the e cigs that look like actual cigarettes since there battery life is not long. 2. cartridge - this is where im confuse a lot of the times. I know there cartomizer, clearomizer and tank systems. what would be the best, in terms of reliability. and 3. What level of nicotine e juice do i need to keep the craving down (mg) and do your guys recommend any type of flavours. also if you guy can also pm a list of vendor in canada that sell nic juice woulod be great. Thanks,

Hey how are you? I am new as well. Only been vaping for just over 2 weeks and haven't had a cigarette for the whole time. I was a pack a day smoker for 17 years (I can't believe it has been that long). I'm not sure how much help i will be, but I will tell you what I did.

First, I asked a couple of places for advice. What I was suggested to get was a cheap kit to start (I got a kit with 2 ego batteries, two ce4 type clearomizers, and a USB charger, and a bottle of juice). I started with a bottle of tobacco juice to get the taste as close as I can to an analog cigarette to make the transition as smooth as possible. It wasn't totally easy but it wasn't hard, for me at least. I've been that way since. Never looked back. I have a new nova v3 clearomizer and different juice on the way as we speak. On some sites you can get 10ml sample bottles. I suggest starting there. They are usually cheap and you can get a few flavours to try out and see what you prefer. Upgrade later. There are tons of upgrades and mods to buy, but don't go nuts at first. Start slowly with the hardware and read reviews. You will find something you will like and will kick analogs for good. I suggest starting with around 24mg of nic. Stay away from cartridges (I've always been told). Buy a few clearomizers, maybe cheap ones, to start, like a stardust or ce4 or something. Ego batteries. Get at least 2. They are cheap. Good luck!

metrabolic

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2013
Chandler, AZ
Being that I have tried everything and know that it can be scary and confusing. My number 1 recommendation for device is a innokin mvp. The battery is great, easy to use and just very reliable.

There are so many different things out there, but I really like cartomizer tanks. I would recommend buying several different things though, to find out what you like. I recommend boge cartomizer, protank 2 and if your like the tank system I would recommend a map tank. A bit expensive, but a very good buy. I really do not like anything smok brand, but that's my preference. I would also recommend picking up a atomizer as well.
As for juice I would start with mount baker vapor, just because they are cheap and you can get several different flavors and mg ranges for very little money. Then once you are up and going find places that have a nice sampler. If you smoke a pack a day I would recommend staying at 24 to 18 mg, but pick up a 12 to 9 mg so you can mix if the dose is to high.
Good luck!

RubyRuby

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
British Columbia, Canada
Welcome & I feel your pain! I wish I had answers but so far all I have are many of the same questions. I started (about 3 weeks ago) with a Colibri because I wanted the most cigarette-like device I could find. I am already upgrading my gear... or I will be when my order arrives. I'm trying some different things from fasttech & they will take ages to get here, so until then I am refilling cartos & wishing I had done more research before I spent any money.

RubyRuby

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
British Columbia, Canada
Oh, I did have one thing to say that may be useful. I did not buy strong enough e-liquid, and it is making it way harder to switch. I prefer the vaping, stinkies tasted awful after about only 3 days of vaping, but I still occasionally struggle with a 'nic-fit'. I suggest buying stronger than you think you need in at least one liquid so you have something to give you an emergency boost when you need it.

4mehealth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2011
canada
It all depends on your wants. I get that you don't want a cig-a-like. I'd say that if you like to tinker (or willing to), put in time to read and research, ask questions, etc, I would suggest a mod. I find that it does everything "better". (I started with the Roughstack from Madvapes).

That being said, if money's an issue, go with an ego style. Those batteries will last you a significant amount of time.

As for the atomizer/ cartomizer/ tank/ etc, I don't know. It's all kind of personal. Try one of each (or two) to get a feel for what you like/ willing to put up with. Example (from my personal experience):

Atomizers - great flavor, plenty of vape, but you have to drip, their consistency (one atty to the next) varies. They can last you anywhere from a day to a month.

Cartomizers - muted flavor, less hassle of dripping into it each time. Depending on your juice, variance in longevity.

Cartomizer Tanks (these are the tanks where you insert the cartomizers in 'em): See above, the negatives here are taking time to punch your own holes, or ordering pre-punched at a premium (using the term loosely, however, I've found the prepunched cartos are a little bit more expensive).

Bottom Coil Tanks - I find them to be alright. Cooler vape. I haven't had much time with them to give them a full judgement.

Rebuildables - At this time, I'd recommend you stay away from this. Can be a nuisance. However, cost wise, long term I've found it to be the most economical.

*Note: I am a dripper. Found it to be what I liked. I just use tanks for when I'm driving.

As for juice, you didn't mention what you smoke. As I understand it (and do note that my information is outdated, I researched this 2 years ago when I was starting), 12mg = extra light, 24 = light/ regular. And you go from there. I would suggest ordering a small bottle of varying concentrations to see which you like (no sense in ordering 30ml if it don't work).

And when it comes to flavors, depends on you. I'd recommend away from tobacco as no vape tastes like a cig.

Best of luck to you.

Tomacoma

Oct 27, 2013
Toronto
Thanks, that is some useful info. I smoke du mo light regulars. Been smoking 15 per day for about 15 years. The reason why I want to quit is the obvious, it not healthy for u and that i have a daughter on the way. I have been looking around and i find a lot of people using the ego twist with a evod clearomizer. Do u think that a good set up?

metrabolic

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2013
Chandler, AZ
Tomacoma:11111654 said:
Thanks, that is some useful info. I smoke du mo light regulars. Been smoking 15 per day for about 15 years. The reason why I want to quit is the obvious, it not healthy for u and that i have a daughter on the way. I have been looking around and i find a lot of people using the ego twist with a evod clearomizer. Do u think that a good set up?

I think it would be a pretty good place to start. That's were I started but found I needed something more very quickly. If I have any recommendation on this get more then one battery. They sometimes die quicker then you think and the last thing you want to do is wait for it to charge. Make sure you get a charger to because they don't always come with one.

vangrl27

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
vancouver

an ego twist with a clearomizer is perfect, I've been vaping for 8 months now and have not felt any need to upgrade, but maybe get a kit so you have 2 batteries, always good to be charging one while you're using the other:)

Kits

Good choice. Ego-t and the evod is a nice start. You can always go from there. Start 24mg nic too. You can always tone it down with later juices.

SoUnique

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2012
Onatrio, Can.
Another vote for the twist & EVOD. I'm close to 2 years vaping & have a crap load of clearomizers & tend to use the ProTank2 & EVODS exclusively.
I would suggest getting both 24 & 18mg juice to start. I think 24 may be a bit strong if you smoke lite cigs, but will give you a boost at hard times, like after meals, drinking & first thing in the morning.
Get a few types of flavors, you might be surprised with what you like, I know I was.
Get small bottles of juice to start with & learn what you like.
Make sure you have a back up, buy a kit not a single battery so you always have a fully charger battery.
If you go with the EVOD, pick up some spare 1.8 replacement coils for it.
It's also okay to use an e-cig & smoke at the same time, it took me about 7-8 weeks to completely switch.

Good luck & have fun.

look30

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
California
I think 24 mg is way too much 12-18 should be the starting number , ideea is to replace cigz not to get hyper from nic.

A good place and this one accepst Visa/Mastercard is MadVapers - Your Canadian Distributer of Premium E liquid and E Cigarettes , they have same kits like Canvape but chaper and they carry Halo Juice.
I recommend you to get one bottle of Halo Tribeca and one bottle of Halo Longhorn at 12 mg and see which one you like the best, alternativelly you can mix Tribeca with Longhorn for a third flavour.

With Madvapers you have to create an account and then email for access to nicotine juices.

For the first time buyers they run a 10% off promo with coupon code "Maddening"

Canadian Genuine Joyetech eGo-C Twist 650 mAh battery kit

look30

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
California

That is the setup which helped my wife to quit , now she's ready , after 4 months , to go APV but honestly the black Spinner 1300mah is the most resilient piece of equipment I ever bought as long it's original , Canvape sells the "debranded" version but they're not just debranded , the whole battery looks and feels different and burned the juice for some reason.

Madvapers sells the originals , highly recomend to the the 1300 for a few more money.

Here is what I would buy :

Kit here :

Battery(get the black one for some reason is better than the rest):

Vision Spinner 1300 mah Battery

Atomizer (get two) :

Evod (black?)

Charger( this one is brand name most sellers have generics) :

Joythech Ego Charger

Spare atomizer coils : Some people say one coils lasts2 weeks... they don't so buy more at 2.2 ohm.

Shipping is $9.99 and they shipp extremely fast.

bdpf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2013
Toronto
That has been my main setup for almost 2 months since I started vaping, so I think it's a good choice.
I also use mini protank 2 for liquids that I think might crack plastic tanks. Even though they use the same heads, I prefer the vape from the Evod for some reason.
As for the nic, I also think 24mg will be too strong. I used to smoke a pack a day of DuMaurier light as well and started with 12mg nic. While I felt a bit of discomfort at the beginning, it only lasted 2 days so obviously I was vaping more for those 2 days.
Now I alternate between 12mg and 6mg during the day.
I'd say start with 12mg or 18mg and you'll be fine.

SASmith

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
Abbotsford, B.C. Canada
Try this kit. Comes with 6 10ml bottles you choose to try some juices. (it was also recommended in another thread).

https://www.canvape.com/product-p/ultwistkit.htm

I have this kit and can recommend the Vendor and the kit, I just purchased it for my Nephew as well and after a few days he is completely off cigarettes. As for the juice as a two pack a day smoker, I started at 24mg , but it doesn't sound like you would need that strength. My Nephew is vaping 18mg ( 1 pack a day smoker). I prefer a 50/50 pg/vg blend and my all time favorite juice is Maple Leaf Vape's "Canadian Blend " which is a smooth tobacco with a hint of Maple. Good luck and hopefully you will soon be enjoying your vape. :)

bdpf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2013
Toronto
I have both, the mini nova and Evod, both are good but I generally prefer the Evod.

I have really nothing to complain with the nova other than the fact that you have to tip it once in a while when the tank gets low and you start having this silica taste.
The Evod is not perfect neither. With the silica wick it comes with, I get sometimes some dry hits when the tank is full, and no gurgling. When I replace the silica wick with cotton, I no longer get the dry hits when full but get the gurgling when the tank becomes empty LOL!

No tank is perfect and all have their small issues you have to deal with. The best is for you to try a few and see what you like best. In any case, both are good tanks.

Now for the ohm rating, I tend to use 1.8ohm but with the twist, it doesn't really matter since you can adjust the voltage anyway. So if you get a higher resistance, use a higher voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread