Considering getting a VAMO 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMaguire2013

Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Hey all,

So far I've just been using two eGo C-Twists for the past month. They've been perfectly fine to me but I'm thinking about upgrading to see what else is out there. I've been looking around some of the VV/VW mods but the VAMO looks like one of the cheapest and many people have told me it holds up pretty well (even compared to Lavatube and similar) -- and if it doesn't, the price alone makes it easy to replace.

So I'm not really sure which version to get, but I decided the stainless steel v5 probably wouldn't do me wrong -- unless someone disagrees?

Also, I use 2 x Protank II and 2 x T3s. Will these both work by default on the VAMO? Should I grab an adapter of some sort?

And does anyone have suggestions on batteries? Probably want to get an 18650 as opposed to an 18350 for the larger capacity.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I have the SS Vamo 5 and it works great. A VW Vamo will be a definite improvement over an eGo C. I use AW batteries which are considered the best, both 18650 and two 18350's. You can only get the full 15 watt vaping range with two 18350's. The two 18350's do provide a little fuller vape. Some don't find it is much and prefer one battery. Having an 18350 is handy when you want to reduce the size of the Vamo. Here is one place where you can get both sizes in the AW's but there are plenty of other places such as RTS:

http://www.sweet-vapes.com/shop?pag...color_plus.tpl&product_id=1144&category_id=23

JohnMaguire2013

Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
I have the SS Vamo 5 and it works great. A VW Vamo will be a definite improvement over an eGo C. I use AW batteries which are considered the best, both 18650 and two 18350's. You can only get the full 15 watt vaping range with two 18350's. The two 18350's do provide a little fuller vape. Some don't find it is much and prefer one battery. Having an 18350 is handy when you want to reduce the size of the Vamo. Here is one place where you can get both sizes in the AW's but there are plenty of other places such as RTS:

http://www.sweet-vapes.com/shop?pag...color_plus.tpl&product_id=1144&category_id=23

I am a little wary of using two 18350s as I've seen a lot of warnings about stacking batteries. Don't want my device blowing up in my hand. :x I'm also not particularly concerned about the size of the VAMO -- in fact, I think I prefer a longer device (I started with a small 650 mAh battery, then got a 900 mAh twist, then an 1100 mAh twist, and the longer the better in my opinion -- not sure about the thickness of the VAMO but I don't expect I'll have too much of an issue with it.)

As far as the 15 watt range goes: I've been confused as to who would use something at that high of wattage. I use 2.5 ohm coil heads at about 4.0-4.2V which, if I remember correctly is something like 6-7 watts.

And is AW a brand-name?

Thanks for your comments!

EDIT: Also, if using two 18350's is not *that* dangerous, I suppose you might be right that it's a better setup than a single 18650 -- assuming the "capacity" is essentially twice what one would be. (That way you could switch to a single 18350 if you wanted, or use two for a longer capacity.) In any case, can you recommend a good charger as well? Or will pretty much any 18350/18650 charger be fine?

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
The whole "blow-up" issue is way over-blown. Plus the Vamo has a built in protection circuit and is vented to boot. You do have to use common sense. Always use stacked batteries in pairs, on the same charger and rotate which one goes in first.

And it is not about needing to vape at 15 watts. With the 18650, the Vamo has to "boost" the power, where as it doesn't with two 18350's. There is a difference in how it vapes. Not significant to many but a definite difference.

AW is the brand name. They will last longer.

JohnMaguire2013

Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
The whole "blow-up" issue is way over-blown. Plus the Vamo has a built in protection circuit and is vented to boot. You do have to use common sense. Always use stacked batteries in pairs, on the same charger and rotate which one goes in first.

And it is not about needing to vape at 15 watts. With the 18650, the Vamo has to "boost" the power, where as it doesn't with two 18350's. There is a difference in how it vapes. Not significant to many but a definite difference.

AW is the brand name. They will last longer.

Awesome, thanks a lot!

EDIT: Does anyone have any familiarity with the Efest IMR 18350 batteries? Wondering if the quality is greatly reduced from the AW brand ones. It'd be nice if I could order all my hardware from one site so I get them all at once, and I can't find many sites offering the AW that also offer the VAMO.

I'm also seeing lots of different chargers at different prices -- what's the difference?

EDIT 2: I've also heard the threads tend to wear out quickly on the VAMO. Is it worth grabbing a 510 and a eGo adapter?

Last edited:

JohnMaguire2013

Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
So I went ahead and ordered a Chrome VAMO V5, 2 of the batteries you linked, a single AW 18650 battery, and a cheapy charger (Trustfire TR-001 Multifunction Charger). I'm still a little concerned about the stacking because I noticed after submitting my order that the batteries you linked are button top (worried they may not fit) and the charger may not be ideal for ensuring a consistent charge, which is why I went ahead and ordered the 18650 battery afterwards as a just-in-case. And hey, this way I can have a backup battery (or two if I can't stack.)

$46 for the VAMO, $18 for the two batteries, $10 for the charger, plus $6 for shipping, and then an additional $11 for the 18650 battery with shipping of $3 comes out to a grand total of way too much (or $95 if you're being technical.)

I really hope I like this setup cuz it's quite some investment I just threw at it, at least for me. :p

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Awesome, thanks a lot!

EDIT: Does anyone have any familiarity with the Efest IMR 18350 batteries? Wondering if the quality is greatly reduced from the AW brand ones. It'd be nice if I could order all my hardware from one site so I get them all at once, and I can't find many sites offering the AW that also offer the VAMO.

I'm also seeing lots of different chargers at different prices -- what's the difference?

EDIT 2: I've also heard the threads tend to wear out quickly on the VAMO. Is it worth grabbing a 510 and a eGo adapter?

I have Efest's also in both sizes. I think they are also good batteries. But they do lose their power longevity more quickly than AW's. If you are interested in Efests, here is a site that sells them and has FREE shipping:

Efest IMR 18350 800mAh 3.7V LiMn Battery Flat Top or Nipple Tops (2PCS)

Most on ECF recommend these chargers. I have this one as well as a cheaper Trustfire. Both work but the Nitecore charges the batteries more fully:

http://www.crystalclearvaping.com/Nitecore-I2-Intelli-charger_p_195.html

Last edited:

JohnMaguire2013

Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
I have Efest's also in both sizes. I think they are also good batteries. But they do lose their power longevity more quickly than AW's. If you are interested in Efests, here is a site that sells them and has FREE shipping:

Efest IMR 18350 800mAh 3.7V LiMn Battery Flat Top or Nipple Tops (2PCS)

Most on ECF recommend these chargers. I have this one as well as a cheaper Trustfire. Both work but the Nitecore charges the batteries more fully:

http://www.crystalclearvaping.com/Nitecore-I2-Intelli-charger_p_195.html

You know, I was looking at that Nitecore charger, but on most sites I saw 18350 wasn't listed as a support battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread