Trying to get Father off Cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

allenx1966

Oct 28, 2013
ohio
MY dad wont quit smoking and now has leukemia. I just started the ecig thing, v2 w/ ex blanks, i am somewhat happy. My dad is another issue all together. He is a heavy chain smoker, winst lights. In order to make him switch, he will have to have the following.
high nicotine, ease of use, large amount of exhaled vapor to convince him its working, and be cheaper than real cigs.

he hit my v2 ex blanks, said it was close, but his hands would shake too much to fill them. also, i dont think he likes the pg taste.
i got some v2 blank carts on the way, hoping he might be able to fill them, and some johnson creek 24 vg juice, and some needle bottles from ebay. he is stubborn, so i think he will end up having to use pre filled carts.

any suggestions for him? strong, cheap, carts, with just plain tobacco taste, preferably with low or no pg.

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
ooooh, toughie ... I believe that most pre filled cartos are PG only juice, one of the reasons that I never cared for them. I hate to say it but your dad may be a very hard sell when it comes to ecig's because almost everything requires some effort and fiddling, especially when it comes to the delivery system (tank,carto, clearo, etc) ... You may just have to find a good large capacity carto and pre fill them for him ... fill like 5 3ml cartos at a time ... old timers are the hardest to convert.

FYI, there isn't any juice that actually tastes like a cigarette .. Tobacco juices at their best taste like some type of fresh, unburnt tobacco. Hopefully someone else who had a habit similar to your dad will chime in, because I can tell that you really want this to work for him ... good luck.

dmichael

May 13, 2013
BC, Ohio, USA
I am no expert, but here's my recommendation. Find an ecig that is easy to use, nothing fancy. Something with one button such as an eGo T. After that buy a low resistance atomizer for a stronger hit and buy high VG juice in either 24 or 36 mg (I'd say 24). As for the "cheaper" thing, all you have to do is some simple math.

5 packs a week is 25 bucks per week. That's 100 a month.
My 30ml bottles usually last me about a month and cost me ~25 bucks.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
First off, he has to want to do it...if not, he will be hard to convince.

Are you near by...can you fill several cartos for him to use for a few days at a time?

You don't say how old your father is...but I'm 61...so maybe I can offer some rambling suggestions. With the v2 (that's a kr808d cig-sized, right?) the eSmart or Kanger T4 are small easy to use clearos (litecigusa.com). Cartomozers would be much easier, and can work well if they are new (not well used)...plus, you can fill a week or more worth of cartos at one time. I know when I started (40 year 3 pad smoker), I found that a cig-sized with cartos seemed pretty natural to me...similar to smoking...and I could fill 10 or more at a time for several days of vaping. Only later did I begin using clearos and larger batteries.

He will likely be happier with a tobacco type flavor to start...but since taste is so subjective, you may have to get several samples for him to test. At least in my case, the correct flavor was harder to find than the correct device. And, since taste change as your taste buds recover, this can be an ongoing process.

Last edited:

Stellaboots

Sep 25, 2013
Western MD, USA
I second what Grimwald says.

Get him a set up where he can choose the flavors, switch the clearos on his own, and you check his stock weekly.

If he can do a rotation of clearos, you should be able to set him up on a weekly basis for minimal cost. A couple batteries, a few clearos filled with juice, and if you check in once a week, he should be good.

I wish you well- good luck
:)

kittybite

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Portland, OR
As someone whose tried both cigalikes and an eGo/tanks setup, I can tell you that you will get nowhere near the amount of vapor through a cartomizer as you will a tank. With that said, if you can get him set up with a bunch of tanks and show him how to use them, you might get him off analogs. I've heard a lot of good things about the EVOD kit, and you can get one from Vapedojo for about $35 (2 batteries, 2 tanks, and replacement heads). Just my 2 cents, but it might be worth trying!

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
If he doesn't want to quit smoking, he won't. It's that simple.

Sorry to be a little "harsh", but that's reality, and if cancer isn't enough to motivate him to make some effort to transition to something less harmful than the coffin nails, then he doesn't really want to do it.

Some people will light up on their death bed, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Too bad, so sad.

That said, good luck in your efforts, but no matter how you feel about it, it's up to him.

Stellaboots

Sep 25, 2013
Western MD, USA
Got to agree with Kitty- Evod was the perfect starter kit for me. I have an iTaste MVP2 on order, because of longer battery life, which may be helpful in this situation- especially the fact the battery level is visible with a green/yellow/red series. I can see how a dead battery would cause issues for some people. Especially older gents, who are used to instant gratification.

If I can switch to vaping, so can anyone. He just needs the right set-up, and enough gear to make sure he doesn't go back to a cig-stick.

allenx1966

Oct 28, 2013
ohio
MY dad wont quit smoking and now has leukemia. I just started the ecig thing, v2 w/ ex blanks, i am somewhat happy. My dad is another issue all together. He is a heavy chain smoker, winst lights. In order to make him switch, he will have to have the following.
high nicotine, ease of use, large amount of exhaled vapor to convince him its working, and be cheaper than real cigs.

he hit my v2 ex blanks, said it was close, but his hands would shake too much to fill them. also, i dont think he likes the pg taste.
i got some v2 blank carts on the way, hoping he might be able to fill them, and some johnson creek 24 vg juice, and some needle bottles from ebay. he is stubborn, so i think he will end up having to use pre filled carts.

any suggestions for him? strong, cheap, carts, with just plain tobacco taste, preferably with low or no pg.

UPDATE: thanks for all the suggestions, I am looking into all of them. I just got my first Red Oak johnson creek juice to try for him. I messed up, didnt read the details, i got the PIPE tobacco Domestic flavor, whooooooo dog is it nasty, lol. I just ordered the Silverthorn after reading the descriptions closer. i will say i can feel the nicotine in my bloodstream for sure with the 2.4%, so i think when i get the silverthorn in, that part of the puzzle will be complete. PLUS i loved that the pg free juice doesnt have that nasty throat burn. I also got some "needle" bottles from ebay, 5 pack, really cheap! the needle bottle is WAY easier than the dropper, so his old hands might be able to handle that. i will take the v2 battery and a v2 ex blank to him with the johnsons creek silverthorn and see how he likes the flavor and the needle bottles. if he likes the hit and the taste, i then will explore easier methods/tanks.clearos.
i have experimented with refilling a v2 cart, by simply popping out the white plug and reinserting it. i was able to refill it several times before it tasted funny and started losing good vape hit. that might be something that would work. buy him a crap load of blank carts, fill them for him every week or two, till they go bad.
i am just thrilled that he is open minded enough to try this at 79 years old! his healthcare only covers half the leukemia treatments he needs, so i was hoping if i can get him to switch, i can get rid of alot of carcinogens that will help keep his blood numbers in normal range. for those that thought i was trying to get him to quit, i am not. just trying to get healthier way for him to get nicotine that he will accept.
thanks everyone! i will update after i get done experimenting, maybe others are in same boat and can learn from my experience.
its always a pleasure to come to a mature forum and get real help, hats off the the mods here.

allenx1966

Oct 28, 2013
ohio
First off, he has to want to do it...if not, he will be hard to convince.

Are you near by...can you fill several cartos for him to use for a few days at a time?

You don't say how old your father is...but I'm 61...so maybe I can offer some rambling suggestions. With the v2 (that's a kr808d cig-sized, right?) the eSmart or Kanger T4 are small easy to use clearos (litecigusa.com). Cartomozers would be much easier, and can work well if they are new (not well used)...plus, you can fill a week or more worth of cartos at one time. I know when I started (40 year 3 pad smoker), I found that a cig-sized with cartos seemed pretty natural to me...similar to smoking...and I could fill 10 or more at a time for several days of vaping. Only later did I begin using clearos and larger batteries.

He will likely be happier with a tobacco type flavor to start...but since taste is so subjective, you may have to get several samples for him to test. At least in my case, the correct flavor was harder to find than the correct device. And, since taste change as your taste buds recover, this can be an ongoing process.

i think i got the right ejuice on the way that he will like. im thinking your right about filling cartos for him. i think i will just get him the empty blank cartos from v2, a bunch of them, and fill them for him when i visit him every other week or so. he is 79 and smokes 2 to 3 packs a day! im thinking i will need tons of cartos.

Tbev

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal-Vegas
instagram.com
I have been a 2plus pack smoker for ten years my parents both for 40plus years I got a vamo v3 a month ago and haven't touched a cig. I'm great but I was a picky ..... about having something to replace cigs. I refuse to call a cigarette an "analog" anyways I am getting my parents on the vape train as well I let them both use my vamo and my parents were satisfied with it. The trick is going to be making sure the device they use doesn't screw up and give him an excuse to have a cig. I think your doing great with the bottles from eBay. I'm running a Pyrex tank and I'm going to get a couple spares that I can keep prepared incase something screws up for my parents. I also stressed that a vaporizer is a better nicotine delivery system and it won't burn his pillow when he smokes in bed. Good luck were both on the same page.

bizziboi

Verified Member
Sep 21, 2013
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
It's tricky imo. If someone doesn't want to quit ecigs might just not work. While they are a good surrogate since you can ease over the nic craving and have something in your hand, it is never like a cigarette. So even if you meet all the criteria, it won't be like a cigarette (which is a good thing, but also something you gotta be willing to work with).

At least that's my take on it. After a while it's better than any cigarette and cigarettes taste yucky, but initially....for me it was a bit of struggle, just MUCH less than it was with any other replacement I tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread