Getting started on vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokd

Oct 15, 2013
Dayton, OH
Started vaping last year when I picked up a Victory cartomizer starter kit for 99¢. Wasn't too impressed with the functionality of the system (poor drags, stock cartomizer flavors horrible) so I pretty much abandoned it for awhile, plus I hadn't been too invested in it money-wise so it didn't seem like a big loss.

I thought I'd give it another go with a slightly better system, so I picked up a Tsunami G Class kit recently from the local smoke shop -3.7V with 2x EGO 650mah battery with 3x 2.4ml clearomizer for various flavor liquids. Have been much more impressed with the overall vape quality and battery life, and I picked up some flavors recommended on this forum. The only concern I had was the residue on the battery each time I refilled the tank, which really bothered me until I read that this happens with almost all atomizers and is not cause for alarm - I simply wipe it with a paper towel and it is good to go.

I'm very glad I found this forum - very comprehensive and many good recommendations! My only gripe was the new members forum was still full of what I felt was much more advanced topics than I was able to understand - it probably exists but I did not find a noob's wiki. I had wanted to post some questions but felt like I had no idea what I was getting into or even trying to ask half the time, with all the terminology, options, and what not, so I read the various threads for the last 3 weeks and finally feel confident to know at least something about vaping. I also didn't want to just throw money at a bunch of different setups, though I've been very tempted to pick up something much nicer.

Last edited:

stokd

Oct 15, 2013
Dayton, OH
Ultimately, I would like to get a nice VV setup with an 18650 battery and a rebuildable atomizer so I can lower future costs. I know there's new products coming out every week, but any thoughts on the Joye Evic kit with an RSST atomizer? I'd like to have 2-3 flavors in rotation, so that would probably run me around $200 for the setup, which is why I'm holding off for now as I had been changing my mind every day as to what I want.

vdaedalus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Yeah, I was kind of in the same boat, and still haven't made the jump to rebuildables. It's coming, though. For now, if you haven't already, maybe look into the Kanger Protank 2 and/or Mini? They use the same coils (plus you can use them in Evods, which are great 'leave the house with them, don't worry about them getting banged up, they can take it' clearos), and I've been cleaning and dry burning my coils, still on my first five-pack. Evods are also a cheap option for flavour rotation, buy a few in several colours so you can identify which is which, you can get three for less than twenty bucks and they are super easy to clean and maintain (as all of my Kangers have been).

I've got an eVic and absolutely love it, it's a great first-step APV and actually helped me get a handle on wattage-resistance relationships so I'll be more comfortable with slightly clunkier, but equally capable, mods (like the Vamo and MVP2 I have on the way in the mail). The main reason I went with the eVic is that it's available in every single brick-and-mortar in my town, so I was able to hold it, play with the menus, ask questions and try it out. It cost me as much as three Vamos would have, but I don't regret it at all.

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
Hi stoked:) Welcome to the forum! I know just what you mean about not knowing where to start. I started almost 2 years ago and cannot believe how the vaping technology has changed since then. Don't be afraid to ask questions around here. We are here to help and all started out in the same place. I have noticed that there seem to be less people posting in the new members forum anymore by a lot. I think that may be because there is so much to learn at 1st that maybe people are so overwhelmed that they just give up. I remember feeling so confused and overwhelmed when I started out and we have 10 times more stuff on the market now then just 2 years ago. You can't go wrong by just reading on this forum for 100s of hours lol. I really am afraid we are loosing new members due to them being so confused and frustrated that they just say forget it. I have also seen some vets be rude to new members with perfectly valid questions. That can chase a new member away faster then anything! That makes me sad because vaping has so much to offer if people can just get passed the learning curve. I am glad you stuck it out:) I am sure soon you will be buying a new set up. It seems to just be a natural progression in vaping to keep moving up. We learn from each step so in my opinion it's not really money wasted. Just want to say again don't be afraid to ask questions because we all started out at step one and had to learn bit by bit.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
Buying little bottles of flavours is a fairly cheap way of trying lots of them at little expense until you find a few that you really like. I'd not worry right now about what device you will ultimately settle on but concentrate on getting the best (for you) performance and satisfaction from the one you have.

Then you will develop a knowledge of what you absolutely detest about it and that will colour your future buying decisions. It is possible to spend loads of money on lots of different things - but it might help you to narrow your search down to what it is that you personally have to have in a setup; vv, best flavour - huge clouds of vapour etc.

If you are intent on saving the most money possible then you will have to make your own coils and also your own liquid. It is not nearly as difficult as it may first appear and there are a huge number of forums here devoted entirely to such things. You will be doing a great deal of reading!

Best of luck and welcome to the madhouse ;)

T

Enoch777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Midwest, USA
I feel like I've somewhat skipped this obstacle, and certainly agree - it can be very confusing for newcomers just starting out. Trying to dig through ... 7-8 years(?) of vape technology is no easy task.

I remember learning about eGos and thinking "Ohhh this must be the best thing everyone is using now." Hah. APVs, mechs, and RBAs were well into the marketplace by that point. Nothing against eGos though, they're fantastic actually.

I highly recommend you check out GrimmGreen on YouTube. This was my initial source for vape-related information, especially on gadgets, batteries, etc I still catch his Sunday Double Feature every time.
He has a no-nonsense way of explaining vape stuff in a fun, easy to learn manner. It's like your best friend explaining all the confusing details in the simplest way. Easily the best "Noob wiki," as well as advanced topics for those who are interested.

Vape well, vape often :vapor:

stokd

Oct 15, 2013
Dayton, OH
Thank you for the suggestions. I had found GrimmGreen yesterday by chance and watched some of his videos. I also have tried sample flavors but found it a pain to keep washing my clearomizer right after a few puffs when I tried a flavor I didn't like. Guess I should pick up some packs of cheap cartos to try the samples out. I am picky about flavors I like but definitely will be giving a few vendors a chance so I don't miss out on flavors I really like such as W2V Creme brûlée.

Enoch777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Midwest, USA
I also have tried sample flavors but found it a pain to keep washing my clearomizer right after a few puffs when I tried a flavor I didn't like. Guess I should pick up some packs of cheap cartos to try the samples out.

Might consider just getting a dripping atty and a drip tip if you haven't already got one. Something like these. Or (when they are in stock) Ikenvape drippers.

The benefit here is that you can try a small amount of a liquid, 3-4 drops. When you want to try another? Vape until you get a dry hit, then dry burn the rest off. Works like a charm. They're a bit more pricey than a pack of cartos, but there's a reason for that. You'll get better flavor, more vapor, etc They also tend to have a much longer life span than cartos.

Caveat is that you must drip another 3-4 drops once you get dry hits. Not really that big of a deal. Lately I am vaping exclusively on an RDA (Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer) and everytime I take a drag I think to myself "Now THIS is a damn good vape." I much prefer dripping over cartomizers, BCCs, carto tanks, and clearos. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread