New from California

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDaystar

Oct 30, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Hi there, great Forum. I'm new to vaping, and getting headaches from information overload (so many choices). I am hoping to find a cigalike style delivery system, and say goodbye to analogs forever.

Does anyone have an answer why in California, apparently we cannot order non-tobacco flavors from certain cigalike companies online, but they are available in M&B stores? Are there any cigalike online companies that WILL ship non-tobacco flavored carts to California? Is is possible to order non-tobacco flavors of just e juice (not cartomizers) online, and have it delivered to California? Can't seem to find the answer to this. Any ideas?

Kaisen

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks for your responses, makes sense. Any suggestions on e Go brands, or online e juices?

Ego really just describes the size and threads of a common battery type. Kanger (EVOD), Joyetech, Smoke, Vision, and others (even non-brands) make their own versions, but most important: they are all interchangeable.

I like to recommend the USB pass-through style batteries in 1000-1100mAh size. That way they last all day, and if for some reason they get low on charge you can continue to vape them when plugged into any USB outlet.....so you won't get caught jonesing for a nicotine fix with a dead battery. I prefer Kanger EVODs, and Smok Tech, but they all work the same (mostly).

Any Ego or 510 threaded head will work on a Ego-style battery. I prefer a bottom-coil clearomizer for its simplicity and ease of maintenance. The Kanger EVOD clearomizer is my favorite, but there are several good ones. Some flavors (cinnamon, spicy, citrus, tobaccos, etc) will crack polycarbonate tanks, like the EVOD, so you should also consider a glass tank, like the Pyrex Kanger ProTank and its variants. They can be heavy because of their glass/metal construction, and they are a little more expensive....but they last nearly forever and most are rebuildable.

I'd recommend a Kanger Mini ProTank II, and a Kanger EVOD on top of a USB pass-through battery.

There are LOTS of good online liquid sellers, like Mt Baker Vapor, EC Blends, Halo, etc, etc. You'll need to experiment with different ratios of PG/VG to see what you like.

It's a journey! Enjoy it

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
There are many choices, but not all stick batteries are created the same, and it's fairly important that you stick with name brands in this category and battery regulation varies by device, and that can affect the vape in several ways. Here's my two cents on stick batteries:

Stick Batteries, known as eGo Style Batteries (entry level, backup, out and about, stealth, primary):

Trusted Vendors shown, but NOT selected based on pricing, you'll still need to shop around. You will need device specific battery chargers (which often come in kits) for these devices. Also, kits often provide two batteries allowing for simultaneous vaping while charging of the backup. Each of the eGo style batteries below have both 510 and eGo thread connections. As such, they are compatible with most toppers, including most Kanger products. Additionally, each of these devices has at least variable voltage, which allows you to adjust and regulate the battery output voltage, providing customizable vapor production, temperature, throat hit, and finding the "sweet spot" for your juices to suit your individual vaping preferences:

1. Innokin iTaste 3.0 vv/vw, usb passthrough, ohms reader, etc. - https://ivape.net/index.php/iTaste-VV-3.0-Variable-Wattage-Device-Pearl-Chrome.html (variable power, LCD display, +/- buttons, Usb passthrough, 3.3 - 5.0 volts, 6.0 - 11.0 watts, 800mAh)
2. SLB KGO VV - http://www.hoosierecig.com/Mega-KGO-VV-1200mAh-3-6v-_p_441.html (LCD display, +/- buttons, Usb passthrough, 3.0 - 6.0 volts, 650 - 1200mAh)
3. Vision Spinner - Vision Spinner VV eGo Battery 1300mAh (3.3 - 4.8 volts, 1300mAh)
4. Joyetech Twist - eGo Twist 1000 Mah Battery in Black (3.2 - 4.8 volts, 650 - 1000mAh)
5. Smoktech Winder - Smok eGo Winder 900mAh Variable Volt Battery (3.2 - 4.8 volts, 900 - 1100mAh)

Best Starter Combo kit out there, imho, provides two batteries, i.e., the twist and/or spinner, and two toppers, i.e., the eVod and/or MT3s, among others: http://www.myvaporstore.com/Vision_Spinner_Joye_Ego_C_Twist_Combo_p/vvs-c.htm.

Recommend one eVod and one MT3s topper with one Spinner and one Twist to start. This way you get four different products with the kit and allowing you to experience four different setups, as you figure out your preferences and what works best for you. Alternatively, the Spinners with evods has been a popular choice with many vapers this year. Or finally, two iTaste 3.0's with Protanks II's would be perhaps the best vape in this category available, imho. BTW, you can spend less and get a fixed voltage battery, but you'll have much less vape flexibility and it won't be long before you'll want to upgrade to variable voltage, more than likely, and the difference initially is only a few dollars per battery anyway.

Welcome to the Forum. Good luck in your GearQuest!

Kaisen

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
While I agree with Bill's, I'd point out that none of those batteries are pass-through....meaning that when the battery gets low/dead, you need to unscrew the head and plug them in to charge = no vape.

Two batteries are a must, but it's not always possible to carry two with you when you go out. So I'd still recommend a USB pass-through and if you can afford a second battery, a variable-voltage like Bill's suggests is perfect. The iTaste vv 3.0 is awesome, but unique in size/shape. Some like it, some don't. Personally, I think variable voltage is overrated and can throw a newbie off-track with too much to manage. Just my opinion.

But what do I know? Many new vapers are on to giant mechs, rewicking, and building their own sub-ohm coils as a "hobby" within a few weeks of starting.

Whatever works for you!

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Regarding juices, there are several good strategies. Finding good juices is harder than finding good gear, imho, as tastes are just so subjective, so recommendations don't really translate too well. What I've found helps is:

1. Sampler packs. Some very good vendors out there with sampler packs. I found MyFreedomSmokes had several good packs and I did find a vape or two that I liked right off the bat, TG.
2. Juice Bars. Go to the nearest Vape Shop in your area and try out their juice bar for flavors. At the least, you can usually narrow down categories of juices to try such as fruits or tobaccos or pastries, etc.
3. DIY. Eventually, I found that I could make better juice than I could buy as I could keep adjusting the flavor to suit my own preferences. That being said, I still had to buy juices, and still do, to narrow down the categories and flavors, to even start to figure out what I might like to make in DIY.

Good luck in your JuiceQuest! Welcome to the Forum and all the best!

NDaystar

Oct 30, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks, Curt:) I'm excited about finding a better setup. My first ecig was one I bought from a liquor store. Tasted like burnt rubber that might have come from a dumpster. Undaunted, I actually went to a vape shop, but they had a poor selection. I was interested in a small cigarette-like system, but they had some overly complex huge devices that looked like they could double as a car muffler. I did sample a few tobacco juices, and they weren't bad. I loved the feel of vaping in and of itself. I discounted fruit/candy juices initially because I'm not into sweet flavors in general. I am re-thinking that idea, and will probably go hit up another shop tomorrow now that I am more informed. The E-go was a great suggestion, hopefully I will find one I like soon:)

nmackan

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
Turkiye
Most people for trying's sake gets a cheap set and tries if it is ok with them. (Most of us more than 90% I think) And some others go to it with head on style. They think why I should pay twice if I am ever going to get mods later on.
As you can see there are a lot of people who quit cigarettes by using e-cigs you can see if anyone is determined to quit and believes in the people around it works. So I suggest if you begin, begin with a semi-developed system. You look for pass through, you even look for variable voltage there is not huge differences between the beginning sets and medium devices. Look at the mah values of the batteries the mah gives you the time you can use the battery so getting 350 mah cigalikes or 1100 mah pass through ego types (This I only read from this forum. I havent seen nor use any)
I started with a no name device, got a red kiwi (ego type beginner set 650 mah) and get an evic (2600 mah batteries)

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal
Hi there, great Forum. I'm new to vaping, and getting headaches from information overload (so many choices). I am hoping to find a cigalike style delivery system, and say goodbye to analogs forever.

Does anyone have an answer why in California, apparently we cannot order non-tobacco flavors from certain cigalike companies online, but they are available in M&B stores? Are there any cigalike online companies that WILL ship non-tobacco flavored carts to California? Is is possible to order non-tobacco flavors of just e juice (not cartomizers) online, and have it delivered to California? Can't seem to find the answer to this. Any ideas?

I have no problem getting any flavor juice shipped to California and have never heard of any one having a problem

bprice

Oct 29, 2013
CA, USA
I'm also in CA, Bay Area, and have recently received a shipment of flavored juice with no problem. I have an order in with Wizard Labs for some VG, PG, and flavors as well that I'm still waiting on. Hopefully there isn't going to be an issue with that order so I can try some DIY flavors. I also bought some from a local vape shop that were really good.

remmy00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2012
Southern California
First of all welcome to the board.

Beauty of living in Socal is there are Vape shops popping up on every corner. My advice about the e-liquid is to head down to a few of them and sample away till you get a good feel for your taste profile. Once ya get an idea then just paruse the vendor sections of this board for MORE than enough options of vendors, none of which in my experience have issues shipping to California.

As far as upgrading the mod... The posts above have a lot of good advice and the only thing I would add is to goto one of the local shops and play around with them. See what feels good for you...gives you a good Vape and fits in your price range.

If you haven't stumbled across it yet here is a link to a Google map that a member put together http://goo.gl/maps/wtqd1 that lists most of the local shops.

Here is the thread that it comes from http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/southern-cali-vapors/375878-socal-vape-shop-retail-directory.html

If you want any recommendations on particular shops feel free to pm me or post here.

Best of luck and welcome to the dark side...haha

thatsandychick

Oct 30, 2013
nor cal

I'm new here myself. Just ordered vaping system from Cali company and I also live in cali. Excited to try it and hope it works better than what ive been using. The pre made cartiridge system does not work for me. Hoping the liquid works better

SoCalMichelle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2013
Upland, California, United States
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread