Cotton unwicking trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snickerfritz

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2013
USA
Hi all, thought I might pass this along. I'm all about staying in a happy vape zone, and for this reason I've been generally either recoiling or rewicking every day. May seem like trouble to some, but to me, not being in happy vape zone is trouble. Now, I finally keyed into the absolute joy of cotton wicking a month or two ago, thanks to the encouragement of some kind souls on here helping me along the way. So, for the last, say, month I've been basically rewicking with cotton daily, but the method I'd been using to dewick the old cotton (twisting and pulling from one side) would booger up the coil every other time or so, so I'd just end up having to do a new recoil just too damn often. It took me a month to work out this dewicking trick that just occurred to me in a flash. This may be old news to some, and may seem obvious to others, but the thing to do is to grab the wick from both sides using two pairs of tweezers or needlenose, and pull both sides outward, so the wick tears in the middle of the coil and you're not trying to pull a whole swollen side of the wick all the way through the coil. So, there it is.

Last edited:

Jaguar07

Carpe Nocturne
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
Long Beach, California, USA
What I do with my cotton wicks:
Make the fatter side usually my right side facing the coil larger, then I slide the skinny side of the wick in and twist and pull it in a bit. Then I trim off the ends. When I go to remove the wick, I grab the "Fat" side and pull. This pulls it out the opposite way of what I pulled it in and makes it a snap to get it out, without disturbing the coil.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
This may be old news to some, and may seem obvious to others, but the thing to do is to grab the wick from both sides using two pairs of tweezers or needlenose, and pull both sides outward, so the wick tears in the middle of the coil and you're not trying to pull a whole swollen side of the wick all the way through the coil. So, there it is.

An excellent way to do this Snickerfritz. Thanks for sharing :thumb:

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
My coil never gets messed up when I pull the old cotton out. Are you using 30 gauge or higher? That may be the reason. I typically use 28 gauge and it is nice and firm. Coils last for weeks and take a lot of abuse without changing shape. Also, the vape is better if you use a strip of cotton that slides in and out easily (here come the jokes) - if it's too thick, it tends to cut off airflow at the coil ends and reduces vapor production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread