New Calculator to try

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Great work HotRod19579! This just keeps getting better!

One thing I noticed is the Export to Excel function won't allow an export if Excel is not installed on "this" computer.
I think i said before I'm using this in the Virtual Box emulator on my Mac and don't have Excel on it, but I do have OpenOffice (that can read and write Microsoft Office files) on my Mac.

Any chance of getting this export to work without Excel installed?

Thanks

The application uses a Microsoft API which allows the application to pass data to Excel. The application will detect errors when passing data to Excel and present the message that Excel is not installed. I will investigate to see if there is an API available for OpenOffice.
Another option might be to export the data to a comma delimited file (.CSV). Will OpenOffice open CSV files? A shortcoming of .CSV files is that the data/columns would not be formatted.

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
What I mean is as an individual, you enter a list of all your flavorings you have available to you, once your list is complete the program searches through all the known recipes for matches of your flavors, it then displays these recipes you could potentially make with your on-hand ingredients. One recipe has 4 flavors, which you happen to have all four, so this recipe is displayed, the next one you may have 3 flavors, of 4 required, so this is listed second, and the listing of recipes may end with the last recipe which you might only have one of the required flavors.

Basically you have a list of your flavors you have, the software then compares that list of flavors to known recipes, and if any matches, or partial matches exist it would display any recipes which you could potentially make out of your list of flavors.

Hope I described it in a way which makes sense to you. I just think it would be cool to have a library of hundreds of recipes, and the program would search, and compare recipes to flavors on hand. Granted if you only have a few recipes or flavors this would probably not be real useful, but if you have a few hundred recipes entered, and were presented a list of specific recipes which you have everything on hand to try would be pretty nice.

Spazzer

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2013
Upstate NY
The application uses a Microsoft API which allows the application to pass data to Excel. The application will detect errors when passing data to Excel and present the message that Excel is not installed. I will investigate to see if there is an API available for OpenOffice.
Another option might be to export the data to a comma delimited file (.CSV). Will OpenOffice open CSV files? A shortcoming of .CSV files is that the data/columns would not be formatted.

Yes, a CSV file should work fine.

Thanks

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
What version are you using. V2.1.0.13 fixed the problem you are describing.

Yo han, please let me know if the later version resolved the issue you were having.

I also posted an update, V2.1.0.19. This version fixes an issue in the Modify Recipe window. An exception was being thrown if you were trying to modify a recipe that had a nicotine entry of "none".

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
I'm getting program quits responding and Winblows wants to close it every time I try to import a folder full of .rec files, it is a fairly large folder, and seems to shut down about 2/3 of the way through the list, I tried removing individual files from the directory, thinking maybe it didn't like the file/s but it did not help.

I know at least 3 versions did not do this, but I'm not sure where/when it started.
OS is Win 7 x64, I could try The horrible Win8 but I prefer not to even boot that nasty up..

I also separated the files it seemed to hang on into another Dir, it does go through them with some missing ingredient/added errors

Here is a sampling of the errors, it could be mistakes in the .rec, but haven't looked into them individually. Looking at them it seems to be adding repetitive entries?

Ingredient contains in the recipe, Nicotine, matches an existing ingredient but values were different, building a new name.
Ingredient contained in the recipe, Nicotine(2), matches an existing ingredient. Using existing ingredient.
Ingredient contained in the recipe did not exist. Added a new ingredient: Watermelon - FA.
Ingredient contained in the recipe did not exist. Added a new ingredient: Orange - FA.
Ingredient contained in the recipe did not exist. Added a new ingredient: Lemon - FA.
Ingredient contained in the recipe did not exist. Added a new ingredient: Sweetener - Flavor West.
Created new recipe entry: Watermelon Frost_2
Ingredient contains in the recipe, Nicotine, matches an existing ingredient but values were different, building a new name.
Ingredient contained in the recipe, Nicotine(2), matches an existing ingredient. Using existing ingredient.
Ingredient contained in the recipe, Watermelon - FA, matches an existing ingredient. Using existing ingredient.
Ingredient contained in the recipe did not exist. Added a new ingredient: Strawberry - FA.
Ingredient contained in the recipe did not exist. Added a new ingredient: Fruit Punch - Flavor West.
Ingredient contained in the recipe, Sweetener - Flavor West, matches an existing ingredient. Using existing ingredient.
Created new recipe entry: Watermelon Strawberry Granita
Ingredient contained in the recipe did not exist. Added a new ingredient: Watermelon.
Ingredient contained in the recipe, Strawberry, matches an existing ingredient. Using existing ingredient.
Ingredient contained in the recipe, Lemon, matches an existing ingredient. Using existing ingredient.
Ingredient contained in the recipe, Sweetner, matches an existing ingredient. Using existing ingredient.
Created new recipe entry: White Chocolate Cappucino
Ingredient contained in the recipe, Nicotine, matches an existing ingredient. Using existing ingredient.
Ingredient contained in the recipe did not exist. Added a new ingredient: PA Wh Choco.
Ingredient contained in the recipe did not exist. Added a new ingredient: PA Cappucino.
Ingredient contained in the recipe did not exist. Added a new ingredient: Ethyl Maltol - Cotton Candy.
Created new recipe entry: White Chocolate Cappucino1
Ingredient contains in the recipe, Nicotine(2), matches an existing ingredient but values were different, building a new name.
Ingredient contains in the recipe, Nicotine(3), matches an existing ingredient but values were different, building a new name.
Ingredient contains in the recipe, Nicotine(4), matches an existing ingredient but values were different, building a new name.
Ingredient contains in the recipe, Nicotine(5), matches an existing ingredient but values were different, building a new name.
Ingredient contains in the recipe, Nicotine(6), matches an existing ingredient but values were different, building a new name.
Ingredient contains in the recipe, Nicotine(7), matches an existing ingredient but values were different, building a new name.
Ingredient contains in the recipe, Nicotine(8), matches an existing ingredient but values were different, building a new name.
Ingredient contains in the recipe, Nicotine(9), matches an existing ingredient but values were different, building a new name.
Ingredient contains in the recipe, Nicotine(10), matches an existing ingredient but values were different, building a new name.
Ingredient contains in the recipe, Nicotine(11), matches an existing ingredient but values were different, building a new name.
Ingredient contains in the recipe, Nicotine(12), matches an existing ingredient but values were different, building a new name.
Ingredient contains in the recipe, Nicotine(13), matches an existing ingredient but values were different, building a new name.
Ingredient contained in the recipe did not exist. Added a new ingredient: Nicotine(14).
Ingredient contained in the recipe, PA Wh Choco, matches an existing ingredient. Using existing ingredient.
Ingredient contained in the recipe, PA Cappucino, matches an existing ingredient. Using existing ingredient.
Ingredient contained in the recipe, Ethyl Maltol - Cotton Candy, matches an existing ingredient. Using existing ingredient.
Created new recipe entry: White Rabbit
Ingredient contained in the recipe, French Vanilla, matches an existing ingredient. Using existing ingredient.
Ingredient contained in the recipe did not exist. Added a new ingredient: Creme Dementhe.
Ingredient contained in the recipe did not exist. Added a new ingredient: Whipped Cream.
Ingredient contained in the recipe did not exist. Added a new ingredient: Sweetcream.
Created new recipe entry: White Rabbit1
Ingredient contained in the recipe, French Vanilla, matches an existing ingredient. Using existing ingredient.
Ingredient contained in the recipe, Creme Dementhe, matches an existing ingredient. Using existing ingredient.
Ingredient contained in the recipe, Whipped Cream, matches an existing ingredient. Using existing ingredient.
Ingredient contained in the recipe, Sweetcream, matches an existing ingredient. Using existing ingredient.
Created new recipe entry: Wuffle Truffle
Ingredient contained in the recipe, Nicotine, matches an existing ingredient. Using existing ingredient.
Ingredient contained in the recipe did not exist. Added a new ingredient: Chocolate Hazelnut (FA).
Ingredient contained in the recipe did not exist. Added a new ingredient: Waffle.

Last edited:

yo han

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2008
the Dutch mountains
Yo han, please let me know if the later version resolved the issue you were having.
I also posted an update, V2.1.0.19. This version fixes an issue in the Modify Recipe window. An exception was being thrown if you were trying to modify a recipe that had a nicotine entry of "none".
Yup, problem solved. Thanks!

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
Really liking this program, as you already know, imports are now A-OK! Very Cool!

I'm adding a screeny of something I noticed when searching, not quite sure how to treat this other then manual edits of ingredients, but maybe you could change it so it does not treat "Banana" as a different ingredient compared to "banana" in the recipe search function, is multiple entries for same ingredient.

example.jpg

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Really liking this program, as you already know, imports are now A-OK! Very Cool!

I'm adding a screeny of something I noticed when searching, not quite sure how to treat this other then manual edits of ingredients, but maybe you could change it so it does not treat "Banana" as a different ingredient compared to "banana" in the recipe search function, is multiple entries for same ingredient.

View attachment 268697

Early in the development I had to make the decision of treating all recipes and ingredients as case sensitive or ignore case. This decision effected edit checking to see if the recipe/ingredient already existed when adding a new one. Right or wrong I went the route of making everything case sensitive. What you are seeing in your screen image is that you have entered two ingredients, one called "Banana" and the other called "banana". I could change this if everyone feels that it should be changed however if I changed it now, I am not sure how to handle those ingredients/recipes that already exist. For instance you currently have two ingredients of B(b)anana. It is possible that the two ingredients have different attributes such as drops/ml, PG/VG percentage, etc... If I attempted to combine the two entries into one, one of conflicting attributes would need to change which could impact the recipes that you are using the ingredient in. Also, when combining which case sensitive name would be applied to the new entry? Thoughts?

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
I would like to solicit some input from those of you who are using the calculator. I would like to know if any of you run into the scenario I will describe below and if adding a new feature would be a benefit. Maybe it is only me that runs into this but I keep catching myself grabbing a piece of paper to do some calculations so that I can modify my recipe percentages.

I will mix up a new recipe. I determine that I need to add a little of this or a little of that. I test this by putting 1ml into my CE5 and then add 1 drop of this or 2 drops of that. Now I want to adjust my recipe to reflect the changes I just made. This might involve
- Calculate how much I increased the percentage of flavor X by or
- Calculate what percentage of new flavor Y I just added to the recipe.

I then catch myself with a piece of paper calculating what percentage 1 drop of X in the 1ml of base I used so that I can modify the recipe appropriately.

Is this unique to me? Any suggestions on how I might prompt a user to input the new values?

yo han

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2008
the Dutch mountains
Early in the development I had to make the decision of treating all recipes and ingredients as case sensitive or ignore case. This decision effected edit checking to see if the recipe/ingredient already existed when adding a new one. Right or wrong I went the route of making everything case sensitive.
Just a thought and no idea if it's possible: when deleting an ingredient which is used in a recipe you could offer the possibility to substitute it with a different ingredient. That way he can delete "banana" and substitute it with "Banana" in all existing recipes.

Dave_in_OK

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2013
San Antonio Texas
Any suggestions on how I might prompt a user to input the new values?

You might add an adjustment column per ingredient for volume and percentage values which is defaulted to 0 but allows the user to input the tweaking amount. So that if the user adds a volume the adjusted percentage is reflected or if they add a percentage the volume is reflected. That then reflects those changes to total volume. And give the option to save with adjustments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread