How do you "discover" new flavors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a psychologist, I often wonder about patterns of behavior and how we learn them.

I'm starting to wonder how people in different parts of the country / world find out what flavors they like. I know in my area of Southern California, there are so many B&M shops that my pattern has been to simply try to visit them all, see what they offer and try as many as possible. This has become a hobby for me, but I have to assume it's isolated to SoCal where the B&M shops are in abundance.

So my question is simple: how do you discover new flavors? Do you blindly order online? Do you trust others reviews in ECF? Do you have a trusted mentor who tells you what they find to be great? There must be over 1000 flavors on the market now, and more coming daily...how do you find what you like with all of those options?

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
I used to buy based on reviews but got burned too much that way. The best experiences have come mostly from free samples of juice thrown in with an order... especially those orders placed for hardware only. I think it has worked out that way because the vendor notices that I'm a new customer and haven't purchased their juice before so they send their very best examples of it. I found my current ADVs that way. The vendor threw in two samples... one tobacco and one dessert with a hardware order. I now vape their juices pretty exclusively.

ericm12121977

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2013
Tulsa, OK
I visit a lot of my local B&M stores since they are in over abundance in my area. I also like supporting online vendors who support the vaping communities either through youtube reviews, or watching vapeTV and their reviews and interviews with vendors. Recently I have gotten into DIY and am trying to recreate my favorite flavors.

Dustmight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Detroit, MI USA
For me, access to B&M shops with reputable products is a challenge. There are some amazing vendors located in my state, but just not close enough to make regular visits to sample their products. Most of my choices thus far have been recommendations from friends, and from folks on YouTube who review juices/products in depth. There's a lot of waiting for the mail and trial and error involved, as well as a stockpile of "Meh" juice samples as a result. The forums are great, but in my opinion, rather cumbersome to wade through for thorough opinions. It would be great if there were a strictly "juice reviews" forum or site out there that would be similar to this site for pipe tobacco: TobaccoReviews.com - The largest collection of pipe tobacco reviews on the internet All that being said, I personally enjoy the "hunt for juice" as a hobby. Discovering something great is just an added bonus.

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
Unfortunately I have only one 'local' store (within 20 miles) and they don't have good juices.

So, like many, I go by reviews. That actually hasn't worked very well for me and I've spent way too much money ordering samples from various vendors and not liking them.

I've only found two vendors that I've stuck with and - this might seem strange - both had 'interesting' websites. By 'interesting', I think I mean they show a bit of imagination, not just a 'generic' site with 'generic' pictures (and 'generic' juices).

And neither seem afraid to post bad reviews. That's actually very important. When I'm checking out a vendor's website, no negative reviews sends up warning bells.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Excuse me please, I am from Germany, and I have seen this mentioned all the time but cannot find it on Google (heck, I am googling from Europe, so US American links are not the first that Google will find for me .... ):

What exactly is a B&M shop, please?

To answer the OP's question:
I discover new flavors mainly by sticking with one vendor whose liquids I like and then ordering some of their other flavors, especially if other vapers (whom I trust) recommend them. - In my home country, we do not have offline shops everywhere. So we order online mostly, and there is the shipping charge to be considered. -

The other day, I was in vaper's heaven, visiting a vaping fair :)
Oh, all the lovely flavors to try.. like a child in a candy shop ;) .... Vanilla Custard, Banana Milkshake, Dragon Blood (= berry).. so wonderful :) It is so nice to discover new flavors!

Apart from that, I mix my own liquids. Mostly one flavor per little bottle, and then I mix the flavors in the tank if I want to. Easier that way, and more variety if desired.

/edit - in case any ANTZ read this:
disclaimer:
"like a child in a candy shop" was a reference to myself, and I am 53 years old :p

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Brick & Mortar physical space (store) differentiating from online cyberspace (store.)

thank you very much! :)
That's what it is! What we call an "offline shop" in Germany, as opposed to the online shops!
I really appreciate it! And there I was, thinking about a huge chain of "B&M" retail vaping outlets in the US *giggles* ;) Like "H+M" clothing stores or Starbucks. Vape-bucks or Star-vape or something like that ;)

Oh, and as to discovering new flavors:

As offline shops - or B&M stores (I am so proud of myself!) are rare in many regions of Germany, one great way to discover new flavors are the "vapers meetings / evenings out" which we have in many regions of Germany. We meet for an evening meal and drinks in a vape-friendly restaurant. People bring their hardware and many liquids, and we let others try, if they wish. That is a lovely way to discover new hardware, new flavors and vendors that we have not tried yet. :)

It is also a lovely opportunity to bring a new - purchased - liquid like strawberry shortcake, have others try it and love it - AND get an experienced vaper to get interested, mix the exact flavor at home and tell you the recipe at the next meeting :D

Last edited:

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
I usually go off other people's recommendations, although I do a lot of DIY liquid too. For me though, the flavours have to be highly concentrated, I find a lot of the budget sites have juices that are way too weak for me.

There's only a couple of sites in the UK that I buy from now, they offer tailor made juices and extra flavour shots - which for me is a must have. I've thrown away more weaker juices than I care to mention, but I've still got at least 50 different flavours to go through :D

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
*giggles* I love this forum!
You are all so helpful with this poor lady from Germany who talks funny when it comes to vaping, because my entire vaping vocabulary is in German. Thank you very much! :wub:

How about an online B&M?

Hm.. how do you transport all these bricks and all this mortar through cyberspace? ;)

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
reviews and sampler packs :) I have one vendor I can buy any flavor they release without hesitation....they are my main vendor...I also have 2 others that I found one by winning a contest and one from suggestion from someone that has the same taste profile I do. :)

Biggest suggestion read reviews and love sampler packs

dmska

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2011
I look in the general e liquids discussion. I usually try the liquids that are being talked about a lot, IF they sound like something I would like to vape. I already know what my preferences are, but that's how I decide on new purchases. I don't purchase everything that is hyped, though. I try to look for people with like tastes as mine and go from there.

Shopan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2013
Thebestcityintheworld,USA

DebbieF

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Albuquerque
I actually have several B&M stores around me (5+ in a 15 mile radius and more within an hour drive). But I end up ordering online mostly now. At first I thought it would be easier in a store, but none of the ones around me really let you sample so it ends up being a guessing game anyway. Ironically enough, the only 2 juices I've found completely unvapeable came from a local shop at the recommendation of a co-worker. Go figure!

So I do pretty much what everyone else here is doing to some degree ... read tons of posts, find people with similar tastes, order sample packs, watch video reviews, take chances, and start to develop "safe" vendors that tend to fit my flavor profile more often than not. Oh, and spend a lot of money trying to figure it all out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread