Non-smokers vaping...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
How do you feel about people who never smoked cigarettes vaping?

I was at the only vaping supply store in Maine on Monday (which is also an 18+ only tobacco shop) checking out all their juices. In walks a kid, who I swear was not a day over 18, grabs a bottle of juice and says I should "try the cinnamon roll, it's really good". Now I have no idea if this guy is a young ex-smoker but I doubt it.

I didn't say anything to him as it's not my business but it kind of bugged me. As a 12 year ex-smoker (thanks to vaping) I don't think non-smokers should start vaping anymore than they should pick up a cigarette. BTW the shop only sells juice with nicotine in it.

Am I just being a total snob or does this bother anyone else? I think what makes me cringe the most is the mis-information about e-cigs marketed to children and here's this barely 18 year old vaping.

To each his own....

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I may be one of the few out there who still believe - god forbid - that if you are of legal age, and it's legal, you have the right to do whatever you want. You can't get into a hornet's nest of "vaping is ok for them, but not for those". No matter how you look at it, it's a bazillion times better than the alternative.

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!

I was at the only vaping supply store in Maine on Monday (which is also an 18+ only tobacco shop) checking out all their juices. In walks a kid, who I swear was not a day over 18, grabs a bottle of juice and says I should "try the cinnamon roll, it's really good". Now I have no idea if this guy is a young ex-smoker but I doubt it.

I didn't say anything to him as it's not my business but it kind of bugged me. As a 12 year ex-smoker (thanks to vaping) I don't think non-smokers should start vaping anymore than they should pick up a cigarette. BTW the shop only sells juice with nicotine in it.

Am I just being a total snob or does this bother anyone else? I think what makes me cringe the most is the mis-information about e-cigs marketed to children and here's this barely 18 year old vaping.

To each his own....

You don't actually KNOW that the kid wasn't a smoker in the first place. Most kids have definitely tried cigarettes well before they're of age to buy them. Hell, I was a pack a day smoker at age 12.

And yeah, the kid was old enough to make his own choices. He's old enough to die for his country so he's old enough to decide if he wants to vape or not, right?

Oh, and one more thing....what sort of vape shop only sells juice with nicotine in it? That's absurd...lol

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
Other than looking young, what makes you think he wasn't a smoker? I believe most smokers start before age eighteen (I didn't but I was a bit slow in that regards :) ) Or maybe he's taking up vaping *instead* of smoking. That's what I would have done if e-cigs had been available back then - I started smoking to fit in with my friends.

I agree with Rickajho - if he's old enough to fight (and possibly die) for his country, he's old enough to vape if he wants to. (I believe that for drinking too but that's an unrelated subject).

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
Other than looking young, what makes you think he wasn't a smoker? I believe most smokers start before age eighteen (I didn't but I was a bit slow in that regards :) ) Or maybe he's taking up vaping *instead* of smoking. That's what I would have done if e-cigs had been available back then - I started smoking to fit in with my friends.

I agree with Rickajho - if he's old enough to fight (and possibly die) for his country, he's old enough to vape if he wants to. (I believe that for drinking too but that's an unrelated subject).
Hey, I'M the one who said that! *pouts*

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Unless you asked, you have no way of knowing if the person is or is not an ex-smoker. There are a lot of young people that smoke(d). I'm with Rickajho on this one in any case.

If it was one of my grandchildren, I would rather they took up vaping instead of smoking. I think the novelty would wear off very quickly. Since many of us are able to drop our nic levels, I don't believe nic is quite the addictive ingredient as reported. Something else in cigarettes are more addicting than just the nic.

I personally feel that it won't be nearly as hard to give up vaping if that is all they have done.

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
I started smoking when I was 15 & I never got asked for ID until after I was 18. I understand your point OP. I don't agree with non-smokers vaping but I didn't agree with non-smokers smoking but not because of the reasons you might think. I like many of us never thought I'd quit the cigs and I hated to see people who have never smoked start. I know how easy it is to get roped in. I remember bumming cigarettes from people and eventually trying my luck at buying a pack...and it worked...I didn't get carded. After that i was a regular smoker for 15 years. I just hate to see other people get started because as much as I loved smoking I hated it at the same time.

But yes, we are all adults & I guess the best you can do is share your experience with others...if they're open to listening...without being preachy & if they decide to do it then it's their choice. Who knows, maybe vaping might actually save them from cigarettes...or at least I'd like to hope so.

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado

To each his own....

Next time just karate chop him.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
It seems a lot of us had the same thought process. ;)

Did any of you hear the latest? In NY you can't buy any tobacco product unless you're 21. SMH
E-cigs included :(

You can vote some idiot into office and go off to die in a war but you can't buy an ecig?! Excuse me, I'm going to go melt down somewhere in a corner.

cmdebrecht

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
I was a late bloomer and didn't start smoking til college. My son's friend was a smoker in his junior year of high school. He picked up a Blu and was able to quit.

So yeah, if it keeps a "kid" from smoking (either in the first place or helps him to quit), better to vape than light up.

If a pup does skip the cigs and go straight to vaping, I bet it won't be as miserable an addiction as smoking in the long run.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

To each his own....

I experimented with a lot of new things when I was young. What stuck was smoking. For 37 years. There's no way anyone is going to stop people from trying things. Even making stuff illegal doesn't work. IMO the best scenario possible is that anyone who tries anything new does so knowing the risks so they can make an informed judgement on it for themselves.

That said, it's clear to me that no one under age should be able to buy vaping supplies, cigarettes or alcohol. IMO nicotine from vaping is is not addictive, but may be habit forming for some and not for others. Smoking is quite addictive. If vaping is keeping someone off of cigarettes, that's OK with me.

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
I knew I was just being a snob! :oops:

I wasn't going to say anything to him and he totally has every right. I agree with all of you, I guess I was stuck in the mindset that vaping is a great way to quit smoking and should be used primarily as such.

To everyone that has replied so far, are all of you ex-smokers? I get the impression from most of the people here on ECF are ex-smokers. Honestly I think if I had never smoked a cigarette but discovered vaping I would have been as much into it as I am now, it's that enjoyable to me. (yes I'm apparently a snobby hypocrite too!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread