Not open for further replies.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
You own/use this... and it will go sub-ohm? I'm asking because of this:

"All units are tested prior to shipping with various ranges of Atomizers, Cartomizer, and Tank systems from 1.5 ohm to 4 ohm, including Dual Coils."

Leads one to believe it may have a lower limit... ya' know. :)

Flames11112 said:
A MVP version 2 will fire a 1 ohm
All the Innokin APVs will fire at or near 1.0Ω (even the 3.0 :blink:)... but they get a "little warm", so I tend to stay above 1.3Ω. ;-)

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
any dna20 mod will do
the semovar handles 1 ohm
mechanical with a kick chip

there not many as sub ohm and regulation dont really go together. sub ohm is basically to counter the non regulation of a mechanical, and when using a regulated output there isnt really a need for high wattage so the choices will be slim.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Look at all the above posts. See how they sneak the ohms up and then discuss the real issue: watts.

If you have a regulated VV device, you can always up the voltage to compensate for the increased ohms. That's not to say that all combinations work, nor that it's 100% identical. But rather, that you can "get a regulated device to work".

The real question is...do you know the difference between using a sub-ohm coil on a mech, a micro-coil on a mech, a micro-coil on a regulated device, and a standard coil? Turns out you can get a real decent vape a lot of ways.

So if you don't mind "fudging" stuff a bit to make the electronics work, many of the higher-wattage PVs will work for you. If you insist on 26 ga wire and .5 ohms (or whatever)....well, get a mech and good batteries and a multi-meter and understand it all.

MikeJA

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
California
I wish people would stop chasing these sub ohm builds. Sure, you get a load of vapor, but to what end? What's the point of it? Pushing batteries to the limit in order to create a huge vapor cloud that you can show off on youtube?

I usually run 30g wire on a mech, typically 1.2 - 1.4 ohms and it billows out more vapor than a cigarette ever blew out smoke. And most importantly, it keeps things safe and keeps me from going back to cigarettes. Totally satisfying.

EDIT: And I mean no offense to the OP. Just frustrated to see so much sub ohm talk on here that will eventually lead to someone getting hurt, and get the media focused even more on demonizing us.

Last edited:

pianman6954

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
United States
I can make a 1.3 ohm coil with ribbon that will fire on most regulated mods but suck and the same with 32awg round that blows clouds. The reality is the electrical part is easy the physics part is the hard bit. Ultra thick/big stuff needs tons of current to work instantly so there is a reason to go sub ohm. Ribbon works amazing in sub ohm. As far as regulated, i would build that myself because even with higher wattage there is a bottoming out when the draw starts getting excessive.

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
Sure, you get a load of vapor, but to what end? What's the point of it? Pushing batteries to the limit in order to create a huge vapor cloud that you can show off on youtube?
.... Just frustrated to see so much sub ohm talk on here that will eventually lead to someone getting hurt, and get the media focused even more on demonizing us.
Seems like another good place for this: PSA: Cloud Chasing is Dangerous.

I'm not saying no one should ever do such things, but they need to know what they're doing first. And maybe the New Member Forum isn't the best place for these discussions. I know not everyone in New Members is a new vaper-- some have a lot more experience than I-- but it seems that most really are new.

MikeJA

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
California
Seems like another good place for this: PSA: Cloud Chasing is Dangerous.

I'm not saying no one should ever do such things, but they need to know what they're doing first. And maybe the New Member Forum isn't the best place for these discussions. I know not everyone in New Members is a new vaper-- some have a lot more experience than I-- but it seems that most really are new.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Iusedtoanalog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hi Alejandro, If you must have a high wattage VV that can drive a load below 1Ω you are looking to likely build one for yourself with the capability to do that..... Do a search for okr-t10 and see if this type of build is something you think you could accomplish.....http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ally-finished-okr-10-amp-50-watt-powered.html

I have a built a few versions of this mod and I can say that even a genie with a .75Ω coil fires without issue on the t10 chip...

If you believe you can do some relatively simple research, and some fairly small soldering, I say give it a go.... If not then maybe a backup dna20 mod is in your future.... Good Luck. If you have any questions I can point you in the correct direction to find the info you will need. Happy Vaping.

Attachments

• 2013-04-02_11-46-00_937.jpg
    2013-04-02_11-46-00_937.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 2012-09-16_22-24-04_353.jpg
    2012-09-16_22-24-04_353.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 2012-06-13_23-13-45_118.jpg
    2012-06-13_23-13-45_118.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 37
  • 2012-06-13_23-00-08_592.jpg
    2012-06-13_23-00-08_592.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 2012-09-16_19-54-31_553.jpg
    2012-09-16_19-54-31_553.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 38

OhmTheWatt

Oct 16, 2013
I wish people would stop chasing these sub ohm builds. Sure, you get a load of vapor, but to what end? What's the point of it? Pushing batteries to the limit in order to create a huge vapor cloud that you can show off on youtube?

I usually run 30g wire on a mech, typically 1.2 - 1.4 ohms and it billows out more vapor than a cigarette ever blew out smoke. And most importantly, it keeps things safe and keeps me from going back to cigarettes. Totally satisfying.

EDIT: And I mean no offense to the OP. Just frustrated to see so much sub ohm talk on here that will eventually lead to someone getting hurt, and get the media focused even more on demonizing us.
With a battery rated for 30amp continuous output I don't come near testing its limits with a .6ohm coil.

And I come from hookah smoking not cigs. Big clouds and great flavor are what I'm after. Tinkering with different build styles is fun.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I can make a 1.3 ohm coil with ribbon that will fire on most regulated mods but suck and the same with 32awg round that blows clouds. The reality is the electrical part is easy the physics part is the hard bit. Ultra thick/big stuff needs tons of current to work instantly so there is a reason to go sub ohm. Ribbon works amazing in sub ohm. As far as regulated, i would build that myself because even with higher wattage there is a bottoming out when the draw starts getting excessive.

You're right! However with the slightly higher-ohm coils and higher watt regulated mods you can get close because of the other physics part...VOLTAGE. Voltage is "Oomph". Of course, you still need a good high-drain battery. But the voltage difference (say 5 volts or even 6 volts) heats that wire up too. It's about watts...volts X amps. The problem is that most regulated mods are limited to 15 or 20 watts. So if your coil specs with a mech are in that range, you can approach the same thing with a regulated APV.

That's not to say it's identical in all cases...but rather that it can work acceptably with some configurations.

pianman6954

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
United States
Well yes ohms law, I was more or less referring to the actual regulator portion of the circuit. You can set a VV/VW but pretty much all regulators also regulate current. A VW mod does the math for you but all of them will have limits. There are of coarse other things to consider as well not all batteries can handle 3,4, or 5C discharge rates the ESR is too high to produce reliable voltage so you get plenty of warning because the mod will perform terribly before thermal runaway becomes a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread