need to rinse new tanks before first use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnata

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
voidness
Hello,

so most of the stuff I ordered arrived today, I am going to charge the batteries and it'll be vape time!

anyway, I'll be starting out my vaping journey with an ego-twist and a kanger t3. my question is, do you guys recommend a full rinse (warm water, don't have vodka handy), before using the t3 or can I just fill it up out of the box and vape away?

could anyone please describe the steps if any? rinse > dry burn > enjoy? dry burn and fill? just fill?

any advice is appreciated. thanks!

sunnata

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
voidness
Mark, great point about vodka only being need for gunked coils, point taken, much appreciated.

Ryedan, since I am a noob and never vaped, this is how I feel:

- I sort of feel like filling out of the box would avoid possible mistakes from someone that never rinsed one before, but then again I am not afraid of it, will have to do it soon anyway. just trying to get a good impression from that very first vape without noobish mistakes to get in the way.

- without previous experiences, in my mind, it sounds like if I am not willing to wait for the wicks to be completely dry, the taste of the first vapes would be pretty lacking. maybe I am over exaggerating the importance of the first impression and should instead focus in tweaking the vape to taste as time goes by.

- not rinsing is lazy, and I like lazy. whenever available. I ordered 2 identical T3's. Maybe rinse one and not the other and find out for myself if I can taste any difference is a good way to go.

thanks a lot guys!

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Only rinsed with water? not me, do you know where that thing has been.

Could have machine oils in/on it, could have rancid primer fluid on the coil/wicks, could be contaminated by rodent & insect contact, might have been handled by someone with a flu / virus or worse.

I rinse delivery devices (except carto's) with PGA before use takes about 30 seconds each, sterilizes, removes any residue and evaporates quickly.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
When clearos were first released some were found to contain oil. Manufacturers responded that the oil was there to stop them from rusting while in storage or being shipped. When this occured a few Vendors started placing some PG on the coils. Regardless as to whether or not you believe their explanation I always wash my clearos before using them.

sunnata

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
voidness
I am looking for alternatives to everclear but the highest % I can find locally so far would be vodka with about 40-45%, not sure if it's a proper alternative. when does it become 'too weak' to do any sterilization? any possible alternatives to PGA?

I understand the concern with machined devices, makes perfect sense. so does the rest of the issues Topwater Elvis brings up, but if one can't get proper sterilization, all that's left is hoping that the sealed plastic bags + a good rinse can be somewhat safe.

thanks a lot for all the feedback

Harlen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2013
Charlotte Nc
I am looking for alternatives to everclear but the highest % I can find locally so far would be vodka with about 40-45%, not sure if it's a proper alternative. when does it become 'too weak' to do any sterilization? any possible alternatives to PGA?

I understand the concern with machined devices, makes perfect sense. so does the rest of the issues Topwater Elvis brings up, but if one can't get proper sterilization, all that's left is hoping that the sealed plastic bags + a good rinse can be somewhat safe.

Alcohol doesn't sterilize it just cleans and kills some germs
If I wish to sterilize I us UV light to do it
Good luck

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.

I CAREFULLY place mine in the sink strainer and run hot water in the sink for a minute. If there's any oil it should be washed away.

gingersnaps

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
everywhere

I use the cheapest vodka I can find all the time for cleaning and it works fine. To me vodka does have a taste though. I don't get how people call it flavorless. So I soak in vodka then dry burn. Next just a quick swish in water to remove the alcohol flavor and one more dry burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
could be contaminated by rodent & insect contact

LOL, when I read that the first thought I had was 'now I know why those first few pulls on a new clearo taste so good'! I know, sick puppy :facepalm:

When clearos were first released some were found to contain oil. Manufacturers responded that the oil was there to stop them from rusting while in storage or being shipped. When this occured a few Vendors started placing some PG on the coils. Regardless as to whether or not you believe their explanation I always wash my clearos before using them.

Very interesting Vapoor eyes er! I've never heard that before. I used to use eGo-C attys and they had a nasty tasting primer in them so I always flushed them with PGA. Oil needs more than water to clean out too.

People do use Vodka to clean vaping hardware. I have no data on how well it handles disinfecting though. I'm pretty sure that most people do not clean their clearos before first use, so anything you do with Vodka will be better than that :thumb:

Wow, I wish I had found this forum earlier. I've just been stumbling thru, figuring all this out by trial and error,which had gotten a bit expensive. Closest vape shop is an hour away.

Last week I learned the difference in PG/VG.. vape strength..throat hit and so on. AND that I have to change the innards every couple weeks. -->yes I said innards<--

I was recently hooked up with the kangertech evod.. finally had nice throat hit without the 'burn your face off' feeling. But i was told not to rinse the tank when changing flavors?? That leaves me tasting coffeesnozbanananutberries... ewwww

Can anyone give me a bit more advice? what is a dry burn? and should different flavors be smoked at different levels on my Ego Twist?

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Very interesting Vapoor eyes er! I've never heard that before. I used to use eGo-C attys and they had a nasty tasting primer in them so I always flushed them with PGA. Oil needs more than water to clean out too.
Yes I'm prolly inhaling oil vape...maybe the FDA should regulate it/ oil :laugh:

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
I always give new clearomizers and/or wicks both a hot water and PGA flush to remove any contaminants that might be in there.

Doing a hot water flush every few fills also seems to help prevent wicks from gumming up.

+ 1 but I use vodka not PGA. No dry burn ever always taste burnt. The wick doesn't have to be dry just add a juice and a few quick puffs brings through the liquid.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Wow, I wish I had found this forum earlier. I've just been stumbling thru, figuring all this out by trial and error,which had gotten a bit expensive. Closest vape shop is an hour away.

Last week I learned the difference in PG/VG.. vape strength..throat hit and so on. AND that I have to change the innards every couple weeks. -->yes I said innards<--

I was recently hooked up with the kangertech evod.. finally had nice throat hit without the 'burn your face off' feeling. But i was told not to rinse the tank when changing flavors?? That leaves me tasting coffeesnozbanananutberries... ewwww

Can anyone give me a bit more advice? what is a dry burn? and should different flavors be smoked at different levels on my Ego Twist?

Hi obsolete4now and welcome to ECF! On the Evod, here's a video on how to clean and dry burn it. Yes, you certainly can rinse it out every time you change juices. Won't hurt it a bit. I expect that with flavors that are not that strong, you won't have to. Some like menthol or cinnamon can be really hard to get rid of and a dry burn will help with that. If you find a juice flavor you just can't get rid of you'll just have to dedicate a Evod to it.

Yes you will find that different juices will be best with different voltages. Experiment and you'll figure it out :thumb:

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread