SMOKTech SID -- Issues??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Regulated mods have built-in protection circuitry within their processors. If the protection circuit detects a short somewhere in the electrical chain from the battery to the coil in the juice device, it will refuse to fire and display an error code.

The trick is to find where the short is. It more than likely is the coil in your juice attachment, but it could be anywhere from the battery, the fire switch, the top connector pin, to the atomizer.

Regulated mods have built-in protection circuitry within their processors. If the protection circuit detects a short somewhere in the electrical chain from the battery to the coil in the juice device, it will refuse to fire and display an error code.

The trick is to find where the short is. It more than likely is the coil in your juice attachment, but it could be anywhere from the battery, the fire switch, the top connector pin, to the atomizer.

Could it possibly be a bad control head?

efinch

Jan 15, 2013
Mansfield
Just a shot in the dark, are you using a kanger clearomizer or tank or any bottom coil. If so check the atomizer head near the rubber grommet to make sure no wire from the legs are sticking out. If so push it back under the rubber or clip it off. This usually causes a short as the wire makes contact with the base of the tank. If your not using any of these ignore what I've just said lol :)

jifjifjif

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
Vape Canaveral, FL
I also just got a SID from a local brick and mortar shop and occassionally get the "short" code, but like you said, it's maybe twice a day out of 500 presses of the button. I just let go of the button and re-fire. I have not tried to figure out what it is.

I am using AW IMR 18650 batteries in it. I am running a Vision Victory tank on top which uses the EVOD/Protank bottom coil heads.

Ddippel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2013
Fayetteville/Fort Bragg NC, USA
Had this happen to two of my SID's what I found, is that almost imperceptably, the entire top "Deck" of the SID had started to pop out of the tube, a few taps of a hammer (and I do mean TAPS) pushed it back inside nicely and the error code stopped. Of course it started again any time I dropped the device, but then a few more taps cleared it again. I am not sure what the exact problem was but this was at least an easy fix

Just a shot in the dark, are you using a kanger clearomizer or tank or any bottom coil. If so check the atomizer head near the rubber grommet to make sure no wire from the legs are sticking out. If so push it back under the rubber or clip it off. This usually causes a short as the wire makes contact with the base of the tank. If your not using any of these ignore what I've just said lol :)

I will definitely be checking this from now on...thank you

I wasn't using a kanger on it, BUT I checked out all my heads that I had used on it and all of them had a little piece of the coil wire sticking out from the bottom. I tucked it back in and haven't had an issue since :) thanks again for the heads up

HawaiiVPR

Moved On
Oct 19, 2013
808 State
smoktech is a cheap china brand...im sure they only go with that supplier...um go ahead and checkout vaporlovers.com and after that possibly vaporpassion they use different suppliers and try out there product therefore a better outcome, this might work better for you.:2cool:

Seriously? Cheap China brand?? All the items on Vaporlovers.com seem to be cheap Chinese copies of "cheap China brands." Its pretty annoying when opportunistic retailers start telling customers that all other products are cheap trinkets from China when in turn all the stock they carry are from the same place.

Has anyone had a problem with the white ring on the bottom-side of the head moving flush with the center brass pin? (Or the center brass pin falling flush with the ring?). Also, on another SID, the voltage keeps resetting. Annoying!!!!

Yes I have had the same issue. In fact, this issue has caused my SID to stop working all together after only 3 days of use. My wife's SID (which was purchased at the same time from the same vendor) has the bottom pin sticking out about 1/16" from the white plastic ring, and her's works flawlessly. I noticed the difference right away as my unit came with the pin flush against the white ring, and it never worked correctly and the functionality fell off with each day of use.

I think its a manufacturer's defect. I requested an RMA from the site I purchased it from so I can exchange it for a new one. Hopefully it all goes well. Will keep everyone informed.

mrsheathercastro

Nov 14, 2013
I purchased a Sid at a vape shop, I had nothing but problems
with it, after a few days they told me the center pin was pushed down by screwing my atomizers in too tight. Then it would not turn on when I pushed the button to vape. After returning to the shop they kindly exchanged it for an MVP. At christmas I saw a great sale on the Sid and decided to give the device another shot since everyone loves theirs and now this one is worse. The shop I bought the original one from told me they are seeing lots of people having problems. I need help!

So, I'm relatively new to vaping (about 5 months). I recently purchased a SMOKTech SID. It has been working great, except every now and again, the screen will read "short" and will not fire. Is this a common problem with this mod? And, if so, how is this prevented if it's something I'm doing?

Whiskey River

Sep 17, 2013
Montana
Has anyone had a problem with the white ring on the bottom-side of the head moving flush with the center brass pin? (Or the center brass pin falling flush with the ring?). Also, on another SID, the voltage keeps resetting. Annoying!!!!

Yes it happened to mine too. I took a knife and pried it back out and it's been working great ever since. Even stopped it from bouncing around the wattage mode. Mines about 4 months old. My batteries fit pretty snug and I think that was part of the problem

Whiskey River

Sep 17, 2013
Montana
Make sure you load your battery from the bottom. I always used to unscrew it from right under the head to replace the battery because it was easier to push the tube into place instead of the cap. I think this puts extra stain on the brass contact pin under the head and causes problems. I also carefully drilled a small hole in the white plastic ring around the brass contact under the head and sprayed some electrical contact/circuit cleaner in the head after I pried the brass pin back out and it's been working great. It got to the point where it was constantly changing wattage and then wouldn't fire unless I pressed the fire button really hard, then I saw how the brass contact pin was barely sticking out past the white plastic. I was ready to throw it away but now it works better than new

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread