Question for cotton wick users:

Status
Not open for further replies.

OuchingMegaSpank

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2013
Michigan
Tried cotton for first time the other other day. I have to say I was a little freaked out by how smooth the vape is! Once I got past that, I simply enjoyed it. However, it did not take but a few hours before my vape began to thin out. I tried using thicker pieces and thinner pieces. Both started out well and then seemed to diminish quickly. I was using 28g kanthal micro coils (dual) 8wraps. Don't know ohms. I used short wicks through coils then put cotton "clouds" underneath coils. My questions are:

How often do you find you must replace your cotton? How do you tell when it is time to do so?

I assume switching flavors means replacing wicks? (Haven't tried switching yet. Temporarily went back to ekowool.)

I know you don't want to fire on a dry cotton wick, but how dry can you let them get after soaking them with juice? Do you just add more when your flavor seems to get light?

Thanks, all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bones1274

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
florida
With cotton, less is more. Too much cotton prevents the juice from absorbing and diminishes the vape. Roll the cotton thin enough to slide freely inside the coil and then cut the ends where they meet the sides of the RBA. Shoving extra cotton clouds around the sides just compounds the problem. I use a bottom feeder so after every 4-5 drags, I just give the bottle a little squonk and I am good to go. If you are tasting dry cotton/burn taste, it is well past the time to re-wet it.

degnr8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
I think the others have answered your questions pretty well but I had to jump in and point out that this
I was using 28g kanthal micro coils (dual) 8wraps. Don't know ohms.
Is a really bad idea. This is how we wind up with batteries exploding in peoples' faces. Baditude has quite the photo collection.

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
Cotton wicks last me for a little over a week in my kayfun lite. I switch from Boba's bounty to English bulldog (goodlife vapor) all the time without any problems but the flavor of some other juices tend to stay in the wick... So I would guess that it is juice dependent.

As for how dry it can get... I usually wait for the flavor to diminish... Pretty much like silica and then refill my hayfun.

I have to say that I really like cotton or more presicely: I don't like the idea of vaping on silica

bones1274

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
florida
I was using 28g kanthal micro coils (dual) 8wraps. Don't know ohms

I just wrapped a 28 gauge 8 wrap micro coil tonight and it metered at 1.03 ohms. If you are doing a dual coil, that would put you down to about .5 ohms..... can your mod and batteries handle that low of ohms?

OuchingMegaSpank

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2013
Michigan
I think the others have answered your questions pretty well but I had to jump in and point out that this Is a really bad idea. This is how we wind up with batteries exploding in peoples' faces. Baditude has quite the photo collection.

Ok. I used to check them on my SVD (which I only use to check a coil resistance anymore) but it stopped reading them. I think it's a pin problem. Regardless, if I check it in a meter, it's going to say 1.2, 1.4, whatever, and I'm going to say "oh yeah, great!" And I'm going to vape away anyway. What am I hoping to find by reading the ohms? (I know this sounds sarcastic, but it's not)

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Ok. I used to check them on my SVD (which I only use to check a coil resistance anymore) but it stopped reading them. I think it's a pin problem. Regardless, if I check it in a meter, it's going to say 1.2, 1.4, whatever, and I'm going to say "oh yeah, great!" And I'm going to vape away anyway. What am I hoping to find by reading the ohms? (I know this sounds sarcastic, but it's not)

Does the SVD read non (I think is the code) or just blank screen?

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
You tell me. I use AW ImR18490

3.9V @ .5 Ohm is 30 Watts 7.8Amps (Is this calculator broken?)

Info on the AW x490 battery (From Empire Mods Website)

Safer Chemistry Then Lithium-ion Batteries
Nominal Voltage : 3.7V
Capacity : 1100mAH
Lowest Discharge Voltage : 2.50V
Standard Charge : CC/CV ( max. charging rate 3A )
Cycle Life : > 500 cycles
Max. continuous discharge rate : 8C
Operating Discharge Temperature : -10 - 60 Degree Celsius

Last edited:

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Basically you learn one thing from checking the resistance directly and another thing by using the number you get.

Directly you will know if there is a short in your coil which can be a dangerous thing. My vamo throws an error when I check a shorted coil. My little atty ohms checker box the reading jumps around when there is a short. Shorts need to be fixed immediately to avoid damage to you, your devices or your batterys.

It gives you the ohms of your coil which you can then put into an ohms law checker along with the volts you are vaping it at. you will get the amps of that combination. that amps number really needs to be less (preferably by a fair margin) than the amps limit of your specific battery. If you push a battery too far it can vent rather violently causing property damage, personal injury or fire. This even happens with almost no warning so far better to know up front and take steps to avoid it such as knowing the amps you need the battery to be able to output and choosing an appropriate battery that can handle that load.

I am sure there is more but this is a basic rundown for you.

degnr8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
@OP (love the name and avatar BTW) I'm not sure if you're trying to be disagreeable or are actually unaware of how dangerous a battery explosion can be. Just in case it's the latter I'll reiterate that guessing at your resistance and battery capabilities are a really bad idea. You need to find out for sure how many amps your battery can handle, do an ohms law calculation and figure out the lowest your resistance can be and stay safely above that discharge rate. You are right though that knowing the resistance doesn't do any good whatsoever if you don't know how to apply the information. That's why you need the discharge rate of your batt and a familiarity with ohms law. Thermal runaway in your face could kill you or make you wish it had. If you check out Baditude's blog it should have the ratings for your batteries.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I believe the AW 18490 has a max continuous discharge of 8.8 amps, I could be wrong on that though. There are multiple reasons to check the resistance on your atomizer, like has been said you want to check for shorts, and to make sure you're within the limits of your battery, and finally, if you're building dual coils which I think you said you were, you want to make sure that both coils are attached properly. If you build two 1.4ohm coils and attach them, you should get a 0.7ohm reading. If you get anything other than that, something is wrong and you should figure out what it is.

OuchingMegaSpank

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2013
Michigan
Not being disagreeable. I think my problem has been that I am reading things incorrectly. I copied the following of of here and maybe I need someone to explain to me what means what. You guys are right. I've probably been lucky so far:

AW IMR
18650 2000mah 10A (5C)
18650 1600mah 24A (15C)
18490 1100mah 16.5A (15C)
18350 700mah 6A (8.6C)
14500 600mah 4.0A (6.7C)

EFEST IMR
18650 2000mah 10A (5C)
18500 1100mah 8.8A (8C)
18350 800mah 6.4A (8C)
14650 950mah 9.5A (10C)
14500 700mah A (C) (No information found on this one)

EH IMR
18650 2000 mAh 16A (8C)
18500 1100 mAh 8.8A (8C)
18350 800 mAh 6.4A (8C)
14500 600mah 4.8A (8C)

MNKE
IMR18650 1500mah 20A (13.3C)

Panasonic
CGR18650CH 2250mAh 10A (4.4C)
NCR18650PD 2900mAh 10A (3.4C)

Samsung
INR18650-20R 2000mah 20A (10C)