Greetings and questions from an old smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cee64E

Oct 29, 2013
Dayton, OH
Greetings. I am Cee64E and I am a -complete- beginner at this. I'm a grandfather and I have been a two-pack-a-day smoker for most of my life. I need to stop. My grandkids are just too much fun for me to be killing myself smoking. vaping looks like it could be an alternative. I can get one of my "eens" (the other being caffeine) and feed my hand-to-mouth habit without all the bad stuff my Marlboros give me.

I've tried a couple of cheap e-cigs, the kind they sell at gas stations that you throw away and was disappointed with the experience. I've gotten -dozens- of "free starter kit" ads via email (Thanks, Google :glare:) that are obvious rip-offs when you look at the fine print. And due to the huge number of vendors and makers out there willing to put up their own "reviews" site I'm more than a little hesitant to just go buy something.

A friend let me try his Tesla variable power unit. I was impressed with the volume of vapor and how quickly it responded compared to the ten dollar cheapos I had tried before (that big, honking battery at work). There is a local retailer that can get them and other brands but the starting cost of around 80 bucks is putting me off a bit. They have eGo (?) units that have slightly lower cost and not nearly the battery, or the features, of the Tesla.

So I guess my question is, is a beefy unit like the Tesla a worthwhile purchase? I'd rather not buy something that I'm just going to end up replacing later and I have no experience with the eGo, or any other serious vape unit. How does the eGo stack up? What are some other brands that I should consider?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

RubyRoo

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
If you start with a Tesla, you will actually SAVE money because you aren't going through the rigamarole of buying a bunch of cheaper stuff that doesn't work as well, THEN going to an APV like the Tesla which will give you a much better vape. This is just my opinion of course, so you can take it for what it's worth. You can get an eGo, but you'll need at least 2 to rotate through your day, and a few tanks etc. So while the Tesla is 80 bucks, you must consider that you will need more than one eGo to get you through the day (for most of us anyway). The power output is better on an APV, you can really dial in your vape, and use rechargeable, replaceable batteries. You are on the right track for sure. Definitely support your local vape shop if you can, and come here to ECF for lots of support and advice. You CAN quit smoking, and ecigs are a great way to do that! Good luck to you!

RubyRoo

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
ALSO, if you are looking at other APV's (advanced personal vaporizers) then check out the iTaste MVP 2.0. It is a box mod with an internal battery, variable voltage, variable wattage, ohms checker, etc. It is cheaper than the Tesla and you don't have to buy any batteries or a charger. I have one and it is my go-to mod. Hope this helps! Check out this link: Innokin iTaste MVP V2.0 Starter Kit - Mt Baker Vapor - Electronic Cigarettes

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Hi

Tesla is good. :) I'm not sure what your retailer is selling you for "around 80 bucks." I got my Tesla here, so you can compare prices: - The Tesla - Chrome | MODS | iVAPE

Keep in mind you have to add on two batteries and the price of a decent charger to have a working Tesla setup.

eGo - specifically eGo Twist - isn't a bad place to start either. But a Twist is a lot more limited compared to a Tesla. You do get variable voltage. But you don't get the display, ohm status of your device, remaining battery voltage display, better (spring loaded center pin) connector, better short and low resistance protection that you get on the Tesla. The other thing that bugs some people about Twists - when the internal battery dies you have to toss the device. The internal battery isn't replaceable on a Twist.

Then again, a Tesla isn't exactly a "tiny" device. I do like mine, but I never take it out. I'm not shy or anything, but a Tesla is just "too much" as an out and about device. In that vein, you may want something in addition to a Tesla that's more portable friendly. Just something to consider.

Welcome! Research is the best place to start in order to avoid first time buyer regrets.

klynnn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
prattville
I smoked 48 years and this works. You have to be willing to learn and try a few different types of equip when you get started. Most start with a cigalike which is not the greatest. Battery life is almost nil and the prefilled cartos are expensive for a person who is 2+ pad. There are several types of delivery devices some like top coils for a warmer vape and some like bottom coils for a cooler vape. It takes a bit of trial and error but is well worth the journey. Watch youtube videos as you get started. Pbusdrdo and grim green are good ones. One of the most recommended kits here is this one from MVS. You will still have to find juices to suit you which will usually be bought elsewhere. http://www.myvaporstore.com/Vision_Spinner_Joye_Ego_C_Twist_Combo_p/vvs-c.htm

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
There are several models that provide significant features, such as VW (variable watt), a higher amp switch (which can be important) and batteries that are less expensive but last twice as long as small battery models. One is the Vamo. The Vamo costs $33 and with the charger and 2 sets of good AW batteries, will run you about $65. I would get the stainless steel model:

http://www.fairy-gift.com/vamo-v5-p-62.html

DKP#

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
Missouri, USA
A friend let me try his Tesla variable power unit. I was impressed with the volume of vapor and how quickly it responded compared to the ten dollar cheapos I had tried before (that big, honking battery at work). There is a local retailer that can get them and other brands but the starting cost of around 80 bucks is putting me off a bit. They have eGo (?) units that have slightly lower cost and not nearly the battery, or the features, of the Tesla.

So I guess my question is, is a beefy unit like the Tesla a worthwhile purchase? I'd rather not buy something that I'm just going to end up replacing later and I have no experience with the eGo, or any other serious vape unit. How does the eGo stack up? What are some other brands that I should consider?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

For the ego's, Joye twist and Vision spinner are dependable batteries that have been around a while.

I'm unfamiliar with the tesla, but it looks similar to the popular vamo. If you don't mind a larger device, they are worth it.
The itaste SVD is one to consider. Everyone that has one, likes it and says they're well made. The batteries are replaceable for about $10.
The SVD and nitecore i2 battery charger from fasttech and batteries from orbtronic will cost about $75. This doesn't include a device for nicotine liquid, but there's lots of choices on those for $10 or less.
Downside is that fasttech can take up to two months.

Cee64E

Oct 29, 2013
Dayton, OH
Wow, talk about fast responses.

Okay. The Tesla kit I am looking at is offered over at Vape Dudes for 80 bucks. The friend that let me try his says they have the same thing at a local shop, though possibly a bit more. I prefer to shop local for everything I buy just to support local businesses so if I can get it locally, even if it costs a little more, I do. But then I frequent a local drive-in movie, too, just to keep the place from closing and losing the last one in the area. Consequence of being old.

The Tesla is certainly a big unit. Impressive, even. I don't go out much except to work and the grocery so carting it around isn't really an issue to me. I'll probably find some way to clip it to my belt along with all the other stuff I cart around during the day. I'm a custom cabinet maker so there's a fair amount of stuff on or in my belt anyway. One more thing won't hurt and it kinda reminds me of a Hooka. I grew up in the 70s. Hookas are cool.

Getting off cigarettes is kind of a must do for me. My lungs still work pretty good, but I'm noticing that I get winded a lot faster than I used to when I was a kid. I'm kind of a big fella, always have been, and in my line of work marshmallows don't last long putting kitchen cabinets up on a wall with one hand and screwing them down with the other. Heart issues run through my family like a river and I'd just as soon not drown in them either. It's something I have been meaning to do for a while, but nicotine alternatives have so far been unsatisfying. I'm a junkie for my "eens". Vaping looks to be a good way to satisfy my habit and do a lot less harm to my body. I have the body of a god and I'd like to keep it that way. (Okay, it's Buddha, but still...)

Thanks again for all the info. I have much to research and learn, but I am undaunted by it. (I have a daunt puller in my tool box. :p )

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
I smoked 48 years and this works.

I can confirm this after smoking for 46 years, with had no intention of quitting, despite the chronic bronchitis, chest pains, and general lethargy that tobacco inflicted on me (or that I inflicted on myself, to be honest) ...

Vaping really really works, provides a far superior delivery system for nicotine, clearly without the health risks associated with smoking ...

And if you enjoy the gadgetry and tinkering as I do, you'll be drawn to the gear as much as the vaping experience, maybe more ...

Even if vaping gets regulated and taxed nearly to death, its far too late to suppress it, the knowledge base is out there, all over the web, and no overbearing government agency can ever overcome that ...

Here's hoping that the OP has many many more joyous years with the grandkids ! :D

Scarey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2013
Lafayette, IN, USA
A good advanced personal vaporizer is worth the price of 2 weeks worth of cigarettes... How much money have you spent on dry leaves that kill you?There are also less expensive APV's out there. You could get a SID, Vamo, or SVD. Those are all less than $40, if you order them on Fast Tech's slow boat from China.

Scarey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2013
Lafayette, IN, USA

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Sometimes I wonder about how many people got dissuaded from vaping because they fell for these rickety disposables.
They may be fine for the folks who litght up occasionally. But when you serious into smoking, you need to get serious into vaping.
And with two packs a day these you need stuff, not crap - as you've found yourself :) . Good thing you didn't chuck the idea of vaping due to that less than satisfying experience with disposables. Starter kits are plenty on the market - guess in the U.S. about 50 bucks should get you going decently. Ask 10 vapers and you will get 12 opinions about good gear ;) . So before tossing brand names about, let's look at the generic features .
Batteries : rechargeable is minimum, 900mAh can get you through the day. - Being able to vary voltage, wattage, whatever is one step up. Decent MOD with all that - why not? Will last you a good while - batteries from a reputable vendor will last about 300 charging cycles. So compared to what you dishing out moneywise for two packs a day it'd be money well spent.
Clearomizers or cartomizers - up to you - refillable is good, rebuildable is not everybody's babe ( especially if you arefine motoricall challnged like me ;) )

Of utmos importance is the right e-liquid. Best hardware on the globe is only as good as the 'software' .

Based on two packs a day ... I'd recommend 18mg/ml nicotine and 66% PG ratio - gives decent nicotine flash and good throat hit. So it will be close to the analogs you're wishing to kick. Flavour? Take your pick. Hundreds to choose from. Enjoy :)

ShariR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Hi and welcome to ECF. You are starting out with a great attitude and will be successful. I also smoked 2 pad Marlboros for over 45 years and this has been the easiest quitting experience I have had. It does become a hobby. I started out with 2 1300mah Vision Spinners, a couple of Evods and a 510 dripping atty. The 1300mah spinner lasts me all day of chain vaping. While one charges I am vaping on the other one. Works. I just bought an MVP2 last week and love it. It is smaller than a pack of cigarettes and would be pocket friendly. No need to buy chargers or batteries. This setup will give you time to explore ECF and read up on the different devices and batteries before you start spending a lot of money on things that may not satisfy you 3 months from now.

Once you have your devices, the next most important thing is to find a juice (eliquid) that you can vape all day, or at least for several hours at a time. Do not expect to find something that tastes exactly like your cigarettes, it does not exist. There are excellent tobacco juices out there, but they are not like a cigarette. I am going to give you two links for you to read. The first one is a thread on the top 5 vendors for juice. This is a good guide to who the most popular vendors are and you will get good quality from them. The second is a thread on tobaccos. Lots of reading and learning. Have fun with this.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...discussion/304212-top-5-vendors-e-liquid.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-liquid-discussion/274904-natural-tobaccos.html

I like the offerings of Ahlusion, The Plume Room, and Nicoticket. I find the flavors full and rich and the liquids to be top quality. There are many others to consider also.

Scarey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2013
Lafayette, IN, USA
Based on two packs a day ... I'd recommend 18mg/ml nicotine and 66% PG ratio - gives decent nicotine flash and good throat hit. So it will be close to the analogs you're wishing to kick. Flavour? Take your pick. Hundreds to choose from. Enjoy :)

I think you're a bit light on your nicotine suggestion. I was a 1 pack a day smoker and started with 24mg. For a 2 PAD smoker, I'd say start at a minimum of 24mg. 36mg might siut you better. At least to start. You really want to hit the nic hard, to get you through that rough first month.

klynnn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
prattville
There really is a lot to learn in vaping. You deal with ohms, resistance, unprotected and protected batteries and good kits versus rip offs. I started 2 years ago and wow what an education. I didn't have the faintest clue what an ohm was. I hope you are smarter than I. Talk about a great hobby and a really good bunch of people to help.

Scarey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2013
Lafayette, IN, USA
I really think most should start at 18mg. Even though I smoked 2+pad a lot of the time they burnt up. I wasn't really smoking all that much I was just paying a fortune for them to sit in an ashtray and burn. You can always go higher or lower on the nic factor. Start in the middle and see what works.

I just don't agree with that at all. I don't aprove of the notion of suggesting someone try a strength that might not be enough to get through the transition, and having them start smoking again while they wait up to a week for the strength they need to show up in the mailbox. Assuming they even bother trying, and don't write vaping off as ineffective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread