Status
Not open for further replies.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
It's not warmer. A dual coil used in cartomizers is in parallel. That means a 1.5ohm dual coil is two 3ohm coils. This is why you can use dual coils in higher power outputs.

I typically stay around 9watts with single coil cartomizers, but with dual coils, I can barely use them at 11watts.

Many others and myself recommend single coils with tanks. I have dual coils, but they're not punched. The extra coil is above the coil in single coils. There isn't a good enough wicking system in cartomizers to keep liquid in equivalent levels on both coils. I do use my non-punched dual cartomizers a lot. I like them with flavors that gunk up bad on single coils in my typical watt range.

So besides the increased current versus using a single coil cartomizer in double the resistance, you have to use higher power output levels. I started out with 1.5 dual coils, and surprise, I use single 3ohm cartos.

Edit:I am wondering if some dual coil clearomizers are in series(add the resistance of each coil for resistance of circuit.) The iclear 16 I tried didn't function like a dual carto or RBA.

Last edited:

Sthur

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
Denver
Dual coils typically run at lower temperatures than single coils, but they can produce a bit more lung hit at those lower temperatures due to more coil touching liquid to make vapor.

Dual coils can go through liquid a little faster if you still like to take long slow drags.

Dual coils can drain your battery a little faster too.

worseforwhere

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
seven seas
It's not warmer. A dual coil used in cartomizers is in parallel. That means a 1.5ohm dual coil is two 3ohm coils. This is why you can use dual coils in higher power outputs.

Yes, sorry you are right. I believe the difference in my experience was bottom coil vs top coil, not dual vs single. Sorry for the misinformation. Still new and learning....

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
"Dual coil tank" is a bit of a misnomer, too. The first cartotanks offered by Smoktech were called DCT, or Dual Coil Tanks, and also introduced Smoktech's brand new cartomizers that were...dual coils! Prior to this cartomizers were only single coiled.

Many novices are not aware that you can use single coil cartomizers in dual coil tanks. :ohmy: In fact, most people prefer single coil cartos over dual coils. Dual coils were a nice idea that never worked out in real life.

And a DCT is just a cartotank no different than any other cartotank. Same anology as Band Aids vs adhesive bandage, Q Tips vs cotton tip applicator, Kleenex vs facial tissues, etc.

Dual coils are two heating coils in the carto cylinder, one over the other. I happen to believe that in a cartotank with punched holes, the top coil in a dual coil cartomizer does not get enough juice wicked to it because the wick holes are placed so low on the carto. The end result is the top coil burns the wick material and can often cause a burnt taste. At least this is the reason that I made the switch from dual coil to single coil cartos in my cartotanks.
Cartomizer Anatomy.jpg click to enlarge​

Last edited:

loislolalane

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
"Dual coil tank" is a bit of a misnomer, too. The first cartotanks offered by Smoktech were called DCT, or Dual Coil Tanks, and also introduced Smoktech's brand new cartomizers that were...dual coils! Prior to this cartomizers were only single coiled.

Many novices are not aware that you can use single coil cartomizers in dual coil tanks. :ohmy: In fact, most people prefer single coil cartos over dual coils. Dual coils were a nice idea that never worked out in real life.

And a DCT is just a cartotank no different than any other cartotank. Same anology as Band Aids vs adhesive bandage, Q Tips vs cotton tip applicator, Kleenex vs facial tissues, etc.

Dual coils are two heating coils in the carto cylinder, one over the other. I happen to believe that in a cartotank with punched holes, the top coil in a dual coil cartomizer does not get enough juice wicked to it because the wick holes are placed so low on the carto. The end result is the top coil burns the wick material and can often cause a burnt taste. At least this is the reason that I made the switch from dual coil to single coil cartos in my cartotanks.
View attachment 268268 click to enlarge​

I'm not much of a carto tank person. I am a glassomizer person, at the moment, and my question came from the launch of the Kanger Protank 3. I haven't expanded my mind to the concept of cartos and I don't understand what punching holes in a carto would do... Probably create a new juice hole, I suppose. Anyway, with the Kanger Protank 3, you have two four ohm coils to get a two ohm resistance. I'm assuming they would be stacked one atop the other, as well, but I'm thinking the bottom coil of it all would make it so that it would lessen the possibility of the juice not getting to the wick?

Living, loving, and laughing all the time!

Nibiru2012

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
The Oort Cloud
Check out the review:
Everything is explained.

The video doesn't explain squat. It's just some dude sitting in a very noisy background room disassembling and reassembling the tank and then pulling a few vapes on it. He should have shown the coils by pulling the post off the top of the coil assembly. No narration, no explanation; just lots of nothing to be honest.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA

View attachment 268268 click to enlarge​

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/rebuildable-atomizer-systems/462668-any-thoughts-aga-td.html

:D

Just got done recoiling one.

My thoughts on my tinkering of duals in RDA and RBA, I don't see anything I can't do with a single ribbon coil other than drain the liquid and battery faster.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread