Is vaping really cheaper than smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
If you want vaping to be be cheaper than smoking it can be a lot cheaper.

-Buy only the devices you need, not what you want. A PV collection is expensive and a poor investment.
-DIY your juice.

I smoked a pack and a half a day. That works out to $47.25 a week or $2,457 per year (CA prices in 2012). Since November of 2011 I've spent a total of less than $1,100 on vaping and I have enough DIY supplies to keep me into juice well into next spring. That includes a couple of mods, batteries, DIY supplies, basic lab gear and some vaping accessories.

Last edited:

Toots Aplenty

Oct 31, 2013
Iowa
Depends on your setup. Ecigs like Blu that use cartridges get too expensive too fast for the amount they produce. If you're going with a hi-tech solution that's more advanced and flexible than a dinky little faux cig the initial investment can seem pricey but after that the upkeep is a fair price.
After I dropped ~50$ on a battery and tank the only thing I have to buy is juice and the occasional cartomizer replacement for it. As long as I prime my fresh cartos and keep the heater coils moist I can clean and reuse them by boiling in water then letting them dry thoroughly.
The juice I buy is about $6 for 10 ml and is 0.6% nicotine but if you find yourself going through a lot of juice you may want to try a higher nicotine level to satiate your craving. Whether it's low 0.6% or extra high 2.4% nicotine content the bottles I buy all cost the same. My 10 ml bottles of juice equal roughly 40 cigarettes worth of nicotine each when I take into account that most of the nicotine in analogs is destroyed during combustion. Normally I'd smoke 5 cigs a day and there's 20 per pack so I'd be spending about $12 a week on analogs while now I'm spending half that on liquid.

Ameera

Aug 25, 2013
Lake Wobegon, MN
As yzer says.. buy what you need.. NOT what you want.. and your cost of vaping will reflect that. I don't DIY my own juices.. but in the last month I have only spent $25. on juices.. and not really anything on accessories. OH.. wait, I take that back, I did buy myself a Kanger protank II for myself on my birthday.. does that count? It was my birthday.. ROFL!! Even so, with that purchase, my month of October was only $50. spent on vaping supplies, and when smoking a PAD I was spending that in less than a week.

I see it as any hobby.. you can always buy bigger, better, shinier.. but do you NEED to?! If you are worried about the cost of your new hobby the answer is simple.. NO.

Oh.. and that $500.+ saved since I quit smoking.. just went towards some new tires on my vehicle, a much better investment than ciggies. :2cool:
Happy vaping.. :)

Last edited:

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA

-Buy only the devices you need, not what you want. A PV collection is expensive and a poor investment.
-DIY your juice.

Yeah, vaping's as expensive as you want it to be. You don't even have to DIY juice to save lots of cash over the long term, but that initial period during which you're seeking for good standby juice flavors can certainly feel very pricey.

genghishahn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2013
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Yeah, vaping's as expensive as you want it to be. You don't even have to DIY juice to save lots of cash over the long term, but that initial period during which you're seeking for good standby juice flavors can certainly feel very pricey.

^^^^ this. It's the initial search for the right juice and hardware that can be expensive. Once you've found what you like and what works for you and settle into maintenance mode, things will start getting better.

The cost once you've gotten to your maintenance phase is going to depend mainly on how much juice you're vaping, and whether you're buying off-the-shelf atomizers or using rebuildables.

The hobby aspect certainly comes into play as well. You can be pretty sure that the hobbyists among us spend a TON more than those of us that are vaping for the sole purposes of keeping away from cigs and saving money. I started vaping to quit and save money, but it's become a hobby (a rather expensive one I might add). Coming up on six months analog free and I'm in a few grand :X

sent from a monstrous screen with an itty bitty keyboard

cost of tobacco is fairly constant if use is consistent. same for vaping and i find it much much less expensive. don't trade one addiction for another [read tobacco for gizmos]. i'm an intermediate user and use intermediate gear - worked my way up to two itaste MVPs, one for $54, one for $48. 2 protanks to replace the iclear 30's. am now finding the juices i enjoy and bought my first RBA, $14 and can now experience VAPOR as i expect it. rebuilt my first protank head tonight so will be saving $ there. i'll never buy up to the $150+ stuff, just don't have the need - after 45 years of smoking, can't taste much anyway ; ]

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I'll add my voice to the chorus singing "It's as expensive as you want it to be". I'm definitely a confirmed vaping hobbyist, so I'm really not looking to save money, at least not at this stage of the game - but on the other hand, I've yet to toss a tank on the driveway and grind it out under my heel when I'm done with it. ;)

cost of tobacco is fairly constant if use is consistent. same for vaping and i find it much much less expensive. don't trade one addiction for another [read tobacco for gizmos]. i'm an intermediate user and use intermediate gear - worked my way up to two itaste MVPs, one for $54, one for $48. 2 protanks to replace the iclear 30's. am now finding the juices i enjoy and bought my first RBA, $14 and can now experience VAPOR as i expect it. rebuilt my first protank head tonight so will be saving $ there. i'll never buy up to the $150+ stuff, just don't have the need - after 45 years of smoking, can't taste much anyway ; ]

Hopefully that will change. After two months of vaping, other than the occasional bouts of "vaper's tongue", I find that my taste buds are STILL incrementally improving over time.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
I stopped smoking for obvious health risks and began vaping hoping it would be a safe cheaper alternative to smoking and quickly realized its not at least in my case, is the same true for you guys and gals?

as you can see in my signature i have not smoked 4880 analogs or 244 packs since i the day i got my e-cig. in my area analogs (Camel's) are about $7.50 per pack some areas in the city might charge up to $9.00 per pack of Camels. but lets just say 244 packs at $7.50 each comes out at $1830. i have looked at all my orders from sites i use the most. there might be a thing or two i forgot about but i have spent about $900 on e-cigs stuff. in about a year and half. and i did buy lots of my friends stuff as well because they don't have a credit card or it was a gift. i DIY my juice and rebuild my own coils. 15 ml of juice cost me about $4 including the child proof dropper bottle. and coils cost under 0.50 to make.. so yes i do save a bit of money.. even though i gave stuff away. making your own juice is awesome! always the right flavor and strength. and when you build your own coils your devices hit like a dream. but more importantly its hard to put a price on your health. we know smoking analogs is really bad for you, e-cigs are probably a lot better but we cant say they are 100% risk free, because we just don't have long term data yet.

Last edited:

heroinesick

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2013
Louisville, KY
I pay for two vapers ( my wife and I) and we're saving $250ish bucks a month. Seems cheaper to me.

I've gone out of my way to make it NOT a hobby (Don't think those pretty shinies don't call to me, though. They totally do.) and to get our backups and our backups backups, and then work on juice and maintenance items. /shrugs Just depends on where you want to take it, I guess.

Tl;dr -- What everyone else said.

CABBA

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
Canada

-DIY your juice.

I smoked a pack and a half a day. That works out to $47.25 a week or $2,457 per year (CA prices in 2012). Since November of 2011 I've spent a total of less than $1,100 on vaping and I have enough DIY supplies to keep me into juice well into next spring. That includes a couple of mods, batteries, DIY supplies, basic lab gear and some vaping accessories.

That's just it.. you can make it cheaper if you are matching only nicotine consumption vapor vs smoke.

The reality is that vaping becomes a hobby for many, as opposed to just a way to get your nicotine fix. And like most things once it becomes a hobby, the cost to tinker becomes much more substantial than the cost of just satisfying your craving for nicotine. There are so many things to tweak, so many things to try. lt's like golf equipment, photography equipment, iphones or whatever the hobby may be; there is always something newer and better coming out and always a reason buy something which you perceive may enhance your vaping experience. With that being said whatever gets you off cigarettes may save your life, how much is that worth?

Start with what you NEED, and spend the money you CAN on what you WANT.

People need hobbies. So for many it is a game of becoming a Vapor Aficionado (which i believe is a good thing). Because in the hobby lies the key factor which moves people away from cigarettes. The fact that if you enjoy vaping at its core, your mind easily forgets about smoking. And by vaping i mean not only the act of inhaling vapor, i mean the process (the gear, the forums, the trial and error, etc.).

There is a quote which says "Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it." and i believe that this holds true for the journey that is vaping.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread