Ejuice caused acid reflux / vomit like burn in nasal passage, help!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been vaping for almost 4 months now, analog free, and I love it. Tonight, I got some new liquids in from ecblend, and although I'm aware they should be steeped initially, I wanted to try a few drops to see if I could get a hint of the flavor. Turns out, it had a fairly heavy chemical / alcohol taste/smell on the way out, and afterwards, all my other tanks/liquids are almost untasteable due to the sensation in my nasal passage that is quite similar to the feeling you get when you vomit through your nose uncontrollably (the stomach acid burn).

Did the liquid cause this? Was it a chemical issue? A temperature issue? I'm not sure, but I'm very curious how long this symptom will last. I just got an eVic today, and I can't enjoy the experience atm. :(

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've never heard of anyone getting such a bad reaction to a juice. Definitely do not use that again this morning. It may be a reaction to something in the juice. Could be an allergy or sensitivity. No idea how long it will last. I'm thinking it won't be long, but as I said I've not heard of this before and I've been around for a while. Depends on the cause.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I would email ecblend and let them know your experience. They probably could advise you much better than I can.

The chemical smell is not too unusual. I've noticed it before with a couple of juices too. What people do is leave the cap off and let the bottle air for a day or two. That usually makes a big difference.

But since you've had such a strong reaction to it I would be careful with the juice.

Although it doesn't say so on the bottle, I'm inclined to believe the flavoring had an alcohol preservative or something in it that I got an initial wind of. I agree with the airing out for a few days, which is what I've decided to try. It's supposed to be a belgian waffle flavor, which I really want to like, but if this happens again after a week of steeping, its going in the trash.

whats the flavor and strength? some juices do use a bit of grain alcohol (the stuff people drink) to break down natural flavorings to make them water soluble.

Belgian Waffle Wizard, 50/50 0.6 nic. I have mostly moved on from the nicotine, so I get the minimal amount, just to keep any cravings at bay.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
nicotine is an apatite suppressant. with out it your body will produce more stomach acid. 9 months off analogs and only vaping i really started to cut down my nicotine content i did experience really bad GI issues and heart burn all the time. after about a month it all cleared up. how long have you been using 6 MG per mL?

heroinesick

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2013
Louisville, KY
When I first started vaping and I had quit smoking, I ended up in the ER with my first GERD attack. It actually happened while I was at the dentist, and he thought I was having a heart attack.

I was told by the doctor that saw me ( not saying if he was right or wrong.. just what he told me..) that nicotine can upset the stomach's acids and also cause issues with your gall bladder due to the overproduction of bile. Might want to check in with your doctor, just in case it's something like this. GERD attacks aren't any fun at all and can lead to bigger issues in the future if not managed.

GERD attacks aren't any fun at all and can lead to bigger issues in the future if not managed.

Oh I know. I've lived with Acid Reflux for several years now. Soda seems to trigger it more than anything for me. I even have those middle of the night, wake up coughing and choking on stomach acid trips that are both terrifying and painful. This is the first time I've had an adverse nasal reaction to a vape tho. It was definitely unexpected.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
Oh I know. I've lived with Acid Reflux for several years now. Soda seems to trigger it more than anything for me. I even have those middle of the night, wake up coughing and choking on stomach acid trips that are both terrifying and painful. This is the first time I've had an adverse nasal reaction to a vape tho. It was definitely unexpected.

some people are allergic to PG. it does seem to mess with my throat a bit so i hardly ever use it.

meanckz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Greer, SC
www.facebook.com
I really wish they'd just all add or display all the ingredients that go into liquids, then the decision would not only be by PG/VG, nic and taste, but also how it affects your and my health....I mean people have all kinds of allergies and sensitivities....if they keep doing that somebody will insist on licensing juice brewers...that will also drive up the prices...and all other kind of stuff....yeah, I'm not very eloquent at times....sorry about that

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Although it doesn't say so on the bottle, I'm inclined to believe the flavoring had an alcohol preservative or something in it that I got an initial wind of. I agree with the airing out for a few days, which is what I've decided to try. It's supposed to be a belgian waffle flavor, which I really want to like, but if this happens again after a week of steeping, its going in the trash.

Alcohol isn't used as a preservative in liquids, but it can be the carrier for flavorings. (Same as the vanilla extract in your kitchen.) I don't do EC Blends so I have no idea what flavorings they use. But chances are if it's a flavoring with an alcohol carrier you can smell it right off the bottle - you usually don't need to vape it to find out. The alcohol will dissipate with aging, but if you just got a newly mixed bottle... sounds like that is what's going on here.

I'm still a little confused about what happened. It sounds like you exhale through your nose and if the alcohol odor was a bit strong it overwhelmed your sense of smell.

In general, if I find that a liquids vendor is using alcohol based flavorings I don't usually like the liquids. And it some times takes weeks of aging to get that alcohol driven off the liquid. But that's me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread