starting diy finally - Ry4 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chas_L

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2013
Buchanan Ga
Remember taste is subjective and no one knows which RY4 you will enjoy the most. There must be at least 12 different RY4 concentartes and then there are the RY1,RY2,RY3, RY4 Doubles and lord only knows how many varations. Some RY4 recepies have so many other addatives that they taste nothing like RY4, IMO.

I suggest going to The Flavor Appretiance site and reading the descriptions of their RY ?? flavorings.

Perfumers Apprentice - Tobacco Flavors (no natural tobacco)

FWIW FW (Flavor West / Mt BAker Vapor) RY4 at 4% is a nice full flavor and TFA RY4 Double at 10% is still to mild for me.

Short history lesson. RY4 was the first sucessful e cig flavor so as the oldest has been recreated and modified by the masses more than any othes..

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I just ordered my first set of diy liquids. I figured I would start with an ry4 since that is my go to liquid.
I think i goofed though because i ordered tfa ry4 and most of the ry4 recipes I see are using ry4 double.
Can I use the ry4 regular or do I need to order the double????

Double ry4 is kinda over the top sweet with very little tobacco note. It really taste nothing like an original ry4 so if the original ry4 is what your after then your good with what you have. I would mix each flavor on its own in 5 ml test batches and taste them individually to gauge how much cream, caramel or vanilla you will need to add to get to where you want to be. Start with the ry4 as that should be your base flavor and the rest should be just subtle notes. Also remember to get your base ry4 flavor tasting right before adding other flavors. When you've sampled all the falvors individually and know what your working with then the real mixing begins. What follows is a senerio of how to go about creating your final mix and the amount's I'm using are a guide line but for you is a good place to start..

Once you have your ry4 base flavor right start the additional flavors at 1%, steep then taste. then add more in 1% increments. It's best once you have your ry4 base down to make several test batches with different added flavor levels for example I would start right off the bat with 3 5ml batches making all of them at the same time.

batch 1= 7% ry4, 1% cream, 1% caramel
batch 2= 7% ry4, 2% cream, 1% caramel
batch 3= 7% ry4, 1% cream, 2% caramel

Steep them for a week or 3 hours in an Ultrasonic cleaner then taste. Make no mistake ry4 does need to be steeped.

That will tell you the direction you need to go. then one you determine that the mix needs more of one thing and less of another the final 2 batches can zero in on the amounts. So lets say you determine that cream is good at 2% but caramel is to much at 2% then you can do the 2 final batches at

batch 4 = 7% ry4, 2% cream 1.25% caramel
batch 5 = 7% ry4, 2% cream 1.50% caramel.

When dealing with flavors start at the lowest recommended percentage and work up. Over flavoring can ruin a batch and is much harder to recover from.

For more helpful hints read my blogs you can find them if you look to the left of this post and click the number "4" next to "blog entries" just under my avatar.

There you go a little mixing 101 lesson....... Good luck

Oh and I see your from New Jersey. Where abouts? I'm from Glen Rock in Bergen County.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread