Blow Up - Any Truth To The Rumor That E-Cig's can "Blow Up" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wharr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Canton, Ga, USA
First off welcome to ECF, Yes it is true. There are batteries that are being sold that are not fit for vaping. There are also mods and other things can can cause them to get too hot and explode. I have not experienced this problem due to I purchase from reputable knowledgable vendors. While vaping if you feel your battery or mod getting hot then remove the battery.
I am sure more experienced members will be along shortly with more accurate answers.

Good luck and again welcome to ECF :toast:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Just to chime in a little...Most of the "horror" stories of batteries blowing up can be traced to user error more than any other reason. Improper charger, "well, it looked like it was the same", improper charging environment, like left in a car attached to a charger in the broiling sun during the summer, and there are other examples.

That said, the lithium based batteries used in e-cigs, mods as well as "stick" batteries, are capable of producing very high amount of power for varying amounts of time. Some common sense, some basic knowledge of batteries and using quality batteries and chargers can probably eliminate most of the possibilities of things going wrong.

Just think about how many items contain lithium batteries today, cell phones, laptops, flashlight, medical equipment used in hospitals, airplanes and the list goes on and on. Statistically, something will go wrong with a battery somewhere, somehow, no matter how careful you may be, but the statistics show it its an extremely rare event.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Here's the difference:

A few years ago some Colgate electric toothbrushes blew up .......... result ......... Colgate toothbrushes manufactured between xxxx and xxxx were recalled.

This year a couple of ego clones blew up ........... result ........... nothing, except e-cigs get a black eye. The CPSC chooses to ignore any safety related issues with e-cigs because of FDA involvement.

The irony of it all is that the regulations needed to insure that we have safe products have existed for a long-long time, all they need is to be enforced! ........... by the proper agencies!!!!!

Last edited:

DetraMental

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 31, 2013
    United States
    Consumer Protection Safety Commission.
    CPSC - Home

Their the ones that recall dog food & baby cribs

I watched a program on them and it was very informative. The tests they run are so thorough. Things you couldn't even imagine, they do it to protect us consumers. It's quite amazing.

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
    Sep 21, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    I apologize for skimming most of the thread, but I feel compelled to add the following, obligatory note:

It's true that a personal vaporizer can "blow up," but it's also true that you might get struck by lightning. As long as you don't handle your batteries negligently, there's an absolutely negligible chance of anything bad happening. And since the major battery-safety concerns are largely confined to vapers who use advanced items (so-called mods, usually coupled with ultra-low-resistance heating coils, often built by the user), the idea that exploding e-cigs are a concern that's even relevant to the general public is frankly preposterous.

The news outlets that carry scare-mongering stories on this subject should be ashamed of themselves.

Now, does any of the above mean that you should ignore all of the wonderful battery-safety advice you'll find in this forum? Absolutely not. Casual observers should keep the big picture in mind, though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread