Flavor %?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimclark

Oct 31, 2013
dallas, TX, USA
My Post #2
As i understand the rules i must post 5 times here before i can move on, so i apologize if i am asking things that belong in another area.

I started mixing my own e juice several months back because i did not feel i was getting enough flavor from pre-mixed (tried several).
I gradually increased flavoring until i was at 30% Maybe i need so much because my taste buds are numb from so many years of analogs.

From what i have read, this seems like a very high % so i would be very interested in feedback form others. Is there a downside to using a % this high?

DrBeaker

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2013
Lab City USA
www.mothersmilkwta.com
Sometimes too high a percentage has the opposite effect. Personally if I have to use more than 20% of a flavor I go looking for a supplier that doesn't dilute it so much. Are you allowing some steep time? I find rarely can I mix shake and vape. Let it steep for a week or two before you try it and decide its too weak. I know how hard it is to wait.

gingersnaps

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
everywhere
Who are you getting your flavors from? I use perfumers apprentice and flavor art. They are very concentrated. Perfumers apprentice i use 8-10% and on flavor art 1-5%. I avoid the ones that have a recommended 20% or more because from my experience most are not a good quality to begin with.

I've tried Capella and lorran and both need a high % and taste like chemicals at any% to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
TFA and here are good starting places for their juices. Adjust up or down to suit:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...181-tpa-tfa-recipes-only-51.html#post11023322

I follow this guide and find it to be pretty good. Too much flavor is what causes the chemical/perfumery taste most of the time, that and not steeping long enough. That thread is a good one, btw. I make only one juice above 30% and it's a Cappella's Vanilla Custard mix, which I rarely use, but Stevo's Vanilla Custard required that, and it's very close to Grant's Vanilla Custard, I'm told. Anyway, it's pretty good. Everything else I make is under 30%, and a lot of single ingredient mixes are under 10%. See the chart and good luck to you!

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Downside is you blow a lot of money on flavours. After the nicotine, they are the most expensive component. If you need a whopping 20% of flavouring, the supplier is either selling you diluted crap or you're overdosing to the point where the concentration kills the flavour. Is a bit like spicy food : Spiced right, it enhances and brings out the flavour. Too much spice and it just tastes hot without allowing any of the other flavours to get 'through'. Like the others posted : start 'bottoms up' and allow it to 'age' ... i.e. become a homogneous mixture. Only very few flavours taste like they're supposed to right after you mixed them. If you are short on patience, magnetic stir or vibrator will speed up the process...

klynnn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
prattville
After quite a few bottles of nastiness I decided to start at 10% and work up. All flavorings are not created equal. It takes time and testing. You may find one flavor works well at 5% and another takes 20%. I have one flavor that 1 drop in 10ml is too much. It depends on the supplier and the individual flavor. Check out the diy forum. A lot of times it will take an extra flavor to make a mix taste better. There is no hard and fast rule.

originalgolfer

Oct 10, 2013
I just ordered the sweetener from mt baker... i heard that it does gunk up and thickens out your juices drastically... anyone have any experience with it?

I have used it...not noticed it gunking up wicks and coils yet. You only need a drop or two per 5 mls so doubt it would do much harm. Less is more.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
The down side is that if there is a major long term health hazard with vaping it resides in the flavors.

I rarely go above 10% (because of PG issues and the ability to find VG flavors designed with vaping in mind).

Go flavorless for a while. You'll be able to taste hints of flavor after.

Dr Farsalinos stated: “This study confirmed our suspicions that any problems with e-cigarette liquids do not come from the main ingredients (propylene glycol or glycerol) but from flavorings. There is a very small proportion of flavorings which may cause some harm, but this is still lower compared to tobacco cigarettes by orders of magnitude. Characteristically, even the worst performing e-liquids in our study (produced by using tobacco leaves to extract flavor) were 3 times less harmful compared to cigarette smoke. In any case, it should be reminded that flavors play an important role in the acceptance and success of e-cigarette as a smoking substitute, but i believe that all flavors need to be tested in order to identify which are the least harmful to use.”
Evaluation of the cytotoxic potential of e-cigarette vapor on cultured cardiac cells: a new study

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread