Battery Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, everyone, this is my first post--please go easy on me! lol

I recently purchased some new batteries for my Tesla mod (TrustFire 18650 3000mAh Protected), and have been hearing they are no good batteries. I don't really have much to compare them to. Could anyone tell me if it would be worth investing in either of these batts instead: (1) Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh Protected Button Top or (2) Panasonic Hybrid/IMR CGR18650CH Protected Button Top? I am pretty sure both of those options will fit my Tesla, but I am not entirely sure if they are that much better than the Trustfires. Also, if it makes any difference, I have an AGA T-2 on the way, but I wont be doing any sub-ohm vaping... Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I don't recommend any battery with the name "fire" in it - Trustfire, Surefire, or Ultrafire. These are second-tier quality batteries. For mod use you want the very best batteries that you can find.

The Tesla is an electronic regulated mod. It uses buck boost circuits in the processor to be able to make higher voltage. Protected batteries are not the best choice to use in regulated mods. You want "high drain" safe chemistry batteries which are called IMR or hybrid batteries.

The Panasonic NCR18650B is not a high drain battery, but protected ICR chemistry.

The Panasonic CGR18650CH 2300 mah Hybrid/IMR battery is a good choice, as would be the Panasonic NCR18650PB 2900 mah hybrid battery.

I have a large list of IMR and hybrid batteries that I recommend in the following article:

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected?

Excellent sources for batteries and chargers are RTD Vapor and Orbtronic.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Your article mentioned that the "Xtar" chargers are a safe option: Could I get any one of their models?? Or does it have to be the $30+ ones?
I don't recommend any charger that uses springs to hold the battery in the charging bay. Get one that uses spacers or a sliding bar.

I have the Nitecore Intellicharger, which is recommended. The Xtar chargers in the $20 + range are equally recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread