Status
Not open for further replies.

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
I do the same thing, drop about 1ml in a BCC, and adjust flavor, not quite so accurately as you, I just rough estimate percentages by number of drops. some good ideas so far, going to have to think about it. I know what your saying about deciding how to treat case sensitivity, and variation in naming, unfortunately no one uses any kind of standard for it, and many of my recipes came from where ever. Would be nice to be able to select Substitute "Banana" for "banana" in all recipes option, which would also delete the ingredient being substituted.

cedric212

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Seeing you've already have the "adjust total flavoring %" tool, how 'bout something similar or expand the feature?

qvy2.jpg

Have it import the flavoring% data and convert to either drop/ml/g by default. When the values are adjusted for either drop/ml/g, the New% and New Flavor% automatically adjusted in response to the new total volume (similarly if New Flavor% is adjusted). Also, an export bottom to export the New% to the recipe on the main screen and a reset button to return to default drop/ml/g/% would be nice. Not sure how difficult it is to incorporate these features though...:(

Last edited:

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
I have been reviewing what I need to do to ignore case for the ingredient names but I haven't made the changes yet. It is not a small effort.

I did add a change in my attempt to modify a recipe by specifying the number of drops added and having it calculate the percentage adjustments. I added the change through the Modify Recipe window. There is a menu drop down labeled "Calculate desired percentage".

Take a look at the change (V2.1.0.21) and provide me with some feedback. I am not sure that I made it clear to the user what I am trying to accomplish. I did add a section in the help file to explain the window. The section in the help file is "Getting Started - Modify Recipe - Calculate percentage change".

CalculatePercentage.jpg

TCSun

Oct 18, 2013
Stevenson Ranch
MODIFYING RECIPES:

From a practical standpoint when finding the right recipe, I could care less about maintaining the nicotine levels and PG/VG levels. My focus is finding the right flavor %. Can you add an option where it'll only tell me how much flavor I need to add to reach a new target?

I test samples in 5ml bottles. The more I taste, the more each drop contributes to flavor % because I have less juice. A drop doubles in % when adding to 2ml vs 4ml. Nor is this situation solved by topping off the base to 5ml each time, because you end up diluting the previous drops that were added.

Can you add density properties to all ingredients for making recipes by weight?

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
MODIFYING RECIPES:

From a practical standpoint when finding the right recipe, I could care less about maintaining the nicotine levels and PG/VG levels. My focus is finding the right flavor %. Can you add an option where it'll only tell me how much flavor I need to add to reach a new target?

I test samples in 5ml bottles. The more I taste, the more each drop contributes to flavor % because I have less juice. A drop doubles in % when adding to 2ml vs 4ml. Nor is this situation solved by topping off the base to 5ml each time, because you end up diluting the previous drops that were added.

Can you add density properties to all ingredients for making recipes by weight?

Density properties: The calculator includes density properties (grams). There is an option that must be set in the Tools->Options to see the grams output, uncheck the "Don't show grams". You will also need to provide the "Grams per ml" value when you define the ingredient. Is that what you are referring to?

Finding the right flavor percentage: You can kind-of/sort-of do that now but I would be open for recommendations of change. In the "Modify Existing Recipe" window you could change the percentage for one of your ingredients and it will then tell you how much to add to the existing mix to reach that target. For what you are describing you would want to ignore the output values displayed for the other ingredients and just add the amount for the ingredient you are changing.

JulesXsmokr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2013
Hurricane Alley, FL. USA
Very nice programming Hot Rod !
This is on its way to being a commercial quality program, if it isn't already.
About all it could need is the ability to show your current quantities of stock on hand after mixing up a batch. I could imagine it telling me I don't have enough watermelon to make 60.ml bottle, because I have only 1.5 .ml left of it.
Thanks for your efforts on this project, it is very well appreciated!:toast:

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Really liking this program, as you already know, imports are now A-OK! Very Cool!

I'm adding a screeny of something I noticed when searching, not quite sure how to treat this other then manual edits of ingredients, but maybe you could change it so it does not treat "Banana" as a different ingredient compared to "banana" in the recipe search function, is multiple entries for same ingredient.

View attachment 268697

A new version has been posted, V2.1.0.22. It now ignores the case of recipes and ingredients and will not allow you to enter the same name entries. To assist in combing any same name entries that you might have I added a menu option "Edit-->Merge/Combine same name ingredients". Use this option to assist in the cleanup of same name entries. Be aware:
- If the entries are the same name however their nicotine content is different, the entries will not be combined into a single entry.
- You only need to run this option if you do have duplicate named entries such as "Banana" and "banana". If you don't have any duplicate entries it won't do anything.
- The results of all actions taken will be displayed. If you don't like the actions that it performed, don't save your juice file.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Very nice programming Hot Rod !
This is on its way to being a commercial quality program, if it isn't already.
About all it could need is the ability to show your current quantities of stock on hand after mixing up a batch. I could imagine it telling me I don't have enough watermelon to make 60.ml bottle, because I have only 1.5 .ml left of it.
Thanks for your efforts on this project, it is very well appreciated!:toast:

Thanks JulesXsmokr, its this kind of feedback that makes me want to keep adding features to help assist everyone in their DIY activities. I welcome input on new features and changes that might be needed.

First, I'd just like to say thank you for creating this application. I gave it a try initially because of the ability to display measurements in grams. Having used it for a few weeks now it's become my favorite among the calculators out there. The feature set is above and beyond, excepting of course the online calculators and their ability to share recipes.

I do have one suggestion to offer and that's a larger text box for taking notes. I take a lot of notes and find the current size lacking. I was thinking that you could move the notes box down below the ingredients list. It could take up the entirety of the width of the window and the vertical space between the bottom of the ingredients list and the save/exit buttons. In this way, the user would have some control over the size of the notes box by resizing the application.

I made a very crude mock up of how you might move the interface elements around to get rid of the dead space left behind if you moved the notes box:

notes.jpg

Oh, one more suggestion.. another sorting option for the recipe list might be useful: by date, descending. That way a user with a ton of recipes could have their newest, 'under construction' recipes right up top easy to find.

Last edited:
HotRod

thank you for your fine work on this calc !

I`ve been using a graphics program to take screenshots of a simpler calc,then adding all my notes for a saved recipe

sooner or later,I really need to learn how to use a calc such as yours.....life would get a lot easier !

I run a screen resolution of 1680 x 1050 and also have a win styler program running somewhere in the backgound

when I bring up your calc the window is barely readable for my old guy eyes

would there be a simple method for me to change font type and size to a larger,bolder type ?

thanks man...programmers like yourself are miracle workers :2cool:

here`s a screen cap of how the calc displays on my desktop

noseecalc_zpsf7e77fdc.jpg

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
First, I'd just like to say thank you for creating this application. I gave it a try initially because of the ability to display measurements in grams. Having used it for a few weeks now it's become my favorite among the calculators out there. The feature set is above and beyond, excepting of course the online calculators and their ability to share recipes.

I do have one suggestion to offer and that's a larger text box for taking notes. I take a lot of notes and find the current size lacking. I was thinking that you could move the notes box down below the ingredients list. It could take up the entirety of the width of the window and the vertical space between the bottom of the ingredients list and the save/exit buttons. In this way, the user would have some control over the size of the notes box by resizing the application.

I made a very crude mock up of how you might move the interface elements around to get rid of the dead space left behind if you moved the notes box:

Oh, one more suggestion.. another sorting option for the recipe list might be useful: by date, descending. That way a user with a ton of recipes could have their newest, 'under construction' recipes right up top easy to find.

Neither of these changes are as easy as they might appear and I am going to have to think on it.

Date Sorting
I currently don't date/time stamp the recipes. Time stamping when a recipe is added would be a simple task and then sorting by this time stamp would also be easy. If you are looking for a time stamp of last-update then this may turn into a troublesome task. The changes you make to a recipe are processed real-time (as you type vs. hitting an "update" button) making it very difficult to track changes versus just displaying a recipe. Thoughts? Would a date of when a recipe was added work?

Larger notes area
This one is difficult to describe but the short version; The boxes (group boxes) that you see are separate items on the window and moving items out of one group box into another can be difficult. Let me think about this one and the best way to tackle it. Is your primary goal to see more of the notes when displaying a recipe or having a larger window to type in when entering your notes? Or both?

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
HotRod

thank you for your fine work on this calc !

I`ve been using a graphics program to take screenshots of a simpler calc,then adding all my notes for a saved recipe

sooner or later,I really need to learn how to use a calc such as yours.....life would get a lot easier !

I run a screen resolution of 1680 x 1050 and also have a win styler program running somewhere in the backgound

when I bring up your calc the window is barely readable for my old guy eyes

would there be a simple method for me to change font type and size to a larger,bolder type ?

thanks man...programmers like yourself are miracle workers :2cool:

here`s a screen cap of how the calc displays on my desktop

I am trying to understand the image that you provided. Does the window actually appear in the grey/dark color I am seeing? I can see why it is hard to read but I think I need to understand a little more on what is triggering the changes so that I know how to address it and make it more readable.

Neither of these changes are as easy as they might appear and I am going to have to think on it.

Date Sorting .... Larger notes area

Certainly I haven't any insight into your design framework or development environment - if you say a change isn't worth the effort, that's more than good enough for me :)

Yeah, I think creation date would accomplish the task well enough. Hm, how about using the action of viewing a recipe (selecting from listbox) as a trigger to update a "last used" timestamp for recipes? That might be a happy medium if it would be easier to implement than a "last modified" timestamp.

Ideally, the notes box would be larger for both viewing and entering info. Right now I use a text editor alongside the calculator for note taking - some flavors have upwards of 30 lines of notes. I'd like to transfer these notes into the calculator to be more convenient, but the current interface just isn't feasible. Again, if you feel it's not worth implementing I understand. Hey, for all I know I'm a total outlier. Having descended from a long line of scientists I just can't shake the old adage, "If you didn't write it down it didn't happen".

I am trying to understand the image that you provided. Does the window actually appear in the grey/dark color I am seeing? I can see why it is hard to read but I think I need to understand a little more on what is triggering the changes so that I know how to address it and make it more readable.

thanks for the response HotRod

I re-sized a screen cap to more closely reflect what I see on my screen....previewing this,prior to posting,I see the program just as it displays on my desktop

prior to the screen grab I started a "new recipe". So now,the notes window can be seen

it would be great if I could increase the size of the text.......but if others, running a screen resolution like mine, aren`t experiencing any visibility issues,I wouldn`t want you to mess with your design

thanks HotRod :)

noseecalc125b_zps54391357.jpg

EDIT: the image sized down from what it looked like as I preview it....I`ll keep trying to get a more true-to-size depiction

Last edited:

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Certainly I haven't any insight into your design framework or development environment - if you say a change isn't worth the effort, that's more than good enough for me :)

Yeah, I think creation date would accomplish the task well enough. Hm, how about using the action of viewing a recipe (selecting from listbox) as a trigger to update a "last used" timestamp for recipes? That might be a happy medium if it would be easier to implement than a "last modified" timestamp.

Ideally, the notes box would be larger for both viewing and entering info. Right now I use a text editor alongside the calculator for note taking - some flavors have upwards of 30 lines of notes. I'd like to transfer these notes into the calculator to be more convenient, but the current interface just isn't feasible. Again, if you feel it's not worth implementing I understand. Hey, for all I know I'm a total outlier. Having descended from a long line of scientists I just can't shake the old adage, "If you didn't write it down it didn't happen".

A new version has been posted, V2.1.0.14. I implemented two changes:
1. Size of the notes area, while I didn't actually make the notes area larger I did give the ability to "detach" the notes into a new window allowing you to size the window to your preferred size. You can either press the small button marked with a "D" under the "Notes" label or with your focus in the notes area you can press the Ctrl-D. You can do the same to reattach the notes back to the main window or just close the notes window to reattach. As you select other recipes for display, the separate notes window will also change to show the notes associated with the newly selected recipe.

2. I added the ability to sort your recipes by creation date. I never tracked the creation date for existing recipes so all of your existing recipes will be assigned the same date. The current date/time will be associated with all new recipes added.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread