Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Greer, SC
www.facebook.com
Hi all,

I just purchased this little unit and would like to get some thoughts from you about it (maybe someone that has it too).
http://www.steamecig.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/STM-1-manual.pdf
I think it may be manufactured by SmokTech, one button menu, 6 month manufacturer warranty.
NewestAddition.jpg
the other 2 are there for size comparison (left: Evod 650mAh VV with Kanger mini PT, right: innokin iTaste SVD VV/VW with Kanger PT)

alright now....lemme have it
:headbang:

(didn't see a section for this in "mod specific", if needed please move)

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I just purchased this little unit and would like to get some thoughts from you about it (maybe someone that has it too).

alright now....lemme have it
:headbang:

It's funny meanckz, I saw this mod somewhere on the net in the last few days and thought it looked interesting. Of course I don't have one, but I did notice something about the battery in the spec sheet.

It's a Samsung ICR18650-26F. The 'ICR' in the model name means it's got ICR chemistry. These are the batteries that go boom when they're shorted or seriously over-driven or over charged. They do say they have battery protection built into the device, but for me that's not good enough. I wouldn't use these batteries. Panasonic NCR18650PD or PF are the ones I would buy for this.

Other than that, it looks great and I wish you the best of luck with it!

Vape happy :smokie:

meanckz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Greer, SC
www.facebook.com
It's funny meanckz, I saw this mod somewhere on the net in the last few days and thought it looked interesting. Of course I don't have one, but I did notice something about the battery in the spec sheet.

It's a Samsung ICR18650-26F. The 'ICR' in the model name means it's got ICR chemistry. These are the batteries that go boom when they're shorted or seriously over-driven or over charged. They do say they have battery protection built into the device, but for me that's not good enough. I wouldn't use these batteries. Panasonic NCR18650PD or PF are the ones I would buy for this.

Other than that, it looks great and I wish you the best of luck with it!

Vape happy :smokie:

oops...what to do with those batteries?...it does come with a supposedly 'safe' auto-cut-off no-name charger

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Being that I was not familiar with neither the batteries nor the charger in question I went researching:

Battery: Samsung 2600mAh ICR18650-26F

I often use the flashlight forums to find battery information (as do many others) as they take their batteries as seriously as we do in e-cig mods. Things that I found at CandlePowerForums.com:

• ICR18650-26F is a mixed Co/Ni/Mn cathode. Having manganese (mn) in the chemistry makes this a safer chemistry hybrid battery, and not just an ICR battery.
  • "I don't know enough about both chemistries to answer all of your questions. However I will say that generally speaking cells with nickle and manganese are often regarded as being "safer." "

Based on the above info, it appears to me that the Samsung ICR18650-26F in question is similar battery chemistry to the Panasonic NCR18650PF (LiNiCOMnO2) INR/ICR/IMR 2900mAh hybrid, but with a little less mAh capacity. This should be a decent battery safe to use in a regulated mod. However, I have to admit I've seen no reference of this battery being a "high drain" battery; but since the chemistry is similar to the Panasonic PF I'm assuming that it is.

The HG-106Li charger though is a different story. This is a cheap inexpensive charger of around $5 - 9. Being that you generally get what you pay for I would not suggest using this charger for e-cig batteries. The instruction manual even states that it could take 6 hours to charge an 18650 battery. :glare: According to some bench testing done by folks at CandlePowerForums there appears to be some variance in manufacturing quality/consistancy with reports of over-discharge of batteries and variances in voltage of fully charged batteries. - resource link KD all-in-one charger

I would not use this charger myself. Spend some money on a decent Xtar or Nitecore Intellicharger to replace the HG charger.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
  • ICR18650-26F is a mixed Co/Ni/Mn cathode. Having manganese (mn) in the chemistry makes this a safer chemistry hybrid battery, and not just an ICR battery.
  • "I don't know enough about both chemistries to answer all of your questions. However I will say that generally speaking cells with nickle and manganese are often regarded as being "safer." "

Based on the above info, it appears to me that the Samsung ICR18650-26F in question is similar battery chemistry to the Panasonic NCR18650PF (LiNiCOMnO2) INR/ICR/IMR 2900mAh hybrid, but with a little less mAh capacity. This should be a decent battery safe to use in a regulated mod. However, I have to admit I've seen no reference of this battery being a "high drain" battery; but since the chemistry is similar to the Panasonic PF I'm assuming that it is.

The HG-106Li charger though is a different story. This is a cheap inexpensive battery of around $5 - 9. Being that you generally get what you pay for I would not suggest using this charger for e-cig batteries. The instruction manual even states that it could take 6 hours to charge an 18650 battery. :glare: According to some bench testing done by folks at CandlePowerForums there appears to be some variance in manufacturing quality/consistancy with reports of over-discharge of batteries and variances in voltage of fully charged batteries. - resource link KD all-in-one charger

I would not use this charger myself. Spend some money on a decent Xtar or Nitecore Intellicharger to replace the HG charger.

Thanks for the research and insight into that battery Bad! I didn't know that and the 'ICR' in the model name worried me :cry:

meanckz, I apologize for the scare. I really try not to do that, but I didn't find the data Bad did.

Now, get a decent charger and then tell us all about how great that vape is !!! :rickroll:

Last edited:

meanckz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Greer, SC
www.facebook.com
Being that I was not familiar with neither the batteries nor the charger in question I went researching:

Battery: Samsung 2600mAh ICR18650-26F

I often use the flashlight forums to find battery information (as do many others) as they take their batteries as seriously as we do in e-cig mods. Things that I found at CandlePowerForums.com:

The HG-106Li charger though is a different story. This is a cheap inexpensive battery of around $5 - 9. Being that you generally get what you pay for I would not suggest using this charger for e-cig batteries. The instruction manual even states that it could take 6 hours to charge an 18650 battery. :glare: According to some bench testing done by folks at CandlePowerForums there appears to be some variance in manufacturing quality/consistancy with reports of over-discharge of batteries and variances in voltage of fully charged batteries. - resource link KD all-in-one charger

WOW! awesome info! Thank you very Baditude, I was ready to chuck those batteries, and I got a Nitecore Intellicharger en route.
I really really appreciate this info....it's bookmarked and hopefully I can pass it on to the next person that has questions about this device's batteries.
I would have never thought to check out flashlight forums, until vaping I had never seen these flat top batteries before.

It 'dinged' again, didn't it :lol:

meanckz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Greer, SC
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the research and insight into that battery Bad! I didn't know that and the 'ICR' in the model name worried me :cry:

meanckz, I apologize for the scare. I really try not to do that, but I didn't find the data Bad did and that battery worried me.

Now, get a decent charger and then tell us all about how great that vape is !!! :rickroll:

no, harm done, I don't mind chucking bad things that can be replaced, rather than burning down my house or otherwise bringing harm to myself and others.
as stated ....nitecore charger on the way ... needed to replace initial charger (TrustFire) anyway.
Eventually I'll be replacing all batteries with the AW or Panasonic ones too (currently using Efest and a couple gray ones that came with the Vamo 2, as back ups).
Thanx for the warning too and I'm definitely gonna chuck that bogus charger that came with the STM-1.

meanckz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Greer, SC
www.facebook.com
Unrelated, for which I am sorry, but how do you like the EVOD?

That's a sleek mod, by the by.

I always have my Evods with me, my wrists get tired from using the heavier mods for extended periods and I love switching up with the lighter Evods (they also look so sexy, specially with the mini protanks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread