Burnt Taste with Kanger ProTank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved this tank right off the bat--but I can't turn up the volts on my variable voltage eCig. Even with it just at 4.0, I get the burnt taste. :?: Then having to keep it at such a low voltage, I can't get the heavy power hit I'm used to (I was vaping with a different tank at 4.7 with no issues before using the Kanger ProTank).

I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong or can do something different. I'm vaping 50/50 PG/VG. I was told 80/20 is best, and i have some new juice that will be arriving with that ratio.

Hoping I can get some advice that will help--because I want to love this tank!

Thanks! :wub:

Attachments

• 401360_10151424296215488_1843024550_n.jpg
    401360_10151424296215488_1843024550_n.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 958

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
If you, at some point before the wick soaked up juice, fired it up dry, the burnt taste would remain, even after you soak the wick.

How do you fix this issue?

[edit: I had the same problem as the OP. This post I replied to made sense, and I think I might have done that. I just replaced the atomizer head, and it seems like you were right.

Is there any salvaging the atomizer head i replaced?]

Last edited:

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
www.nicoticket.com
Soak the atomizer head in water overnight if you want to attempt a salvage. Take it out in the morning, let it dry for at least 4 hours, perform a dry burn, load in the tank and let is soak a bit.

Also, the advice above is good regarding loosening the seal just above the connector. For some reason the protank creates a vaccum inside the tank if it's overtightened. Loosen it slowly while you tip the entire unit away from you, look for a bubble or two to rise to the top. That bubble is a sign it is wicking. The Tank itself generally will not leak even if it is slightly unscrewed to allow some air in. With the tank slightly unscrewed, prevent dry burns by periodically tipping it and looking for a bubble.

Finally, due the airy draw, you probably don't need more than 8 watts of power to the coil. If the could itself is ~1.7ohms (which most of my hand-rewired ones are), they hit like a champ at 3.7 volts.

Good luck,

Clark

RevJerp

Apr 30, 2013
North Carolina
Build your own coils. After a couple days of trial and error, i can crank out a protank coil in a couple minutes that performs much better than a stock kanger coil. They are easier than a vivi to rebuild. Id tell you what i do but honestly between myself and two buddies we all build them different and like our own better. It takes very little kanthal and wick to make them, so they are a great way to learn!

The reason you cant crank them is almost always a wicking issue, though. The above posters are quite correct. I dont like the untwisting methid because it can turn into a juicey mess. I saw some success with taking the flavor wick out before i got into building coils. You really just have to experiment and deconstruct them to understand how they work.

Lower ohms would also help with hits, something you can do with replacement coils or rebuilt ones. I did a bunch of 1.5 ohm heads and liked the results, but 1.7 to 2.0 gave me more wraps of coil, more hot surface, and i was surprised by how much more vaper I got from it.

Reactions: LeeLee26

Jay-dub

Moved On
Oct 10, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I know I'm a little late to the party here, but I've found flipping the little rubber grommet on the chimney completely solves the burning issues I've had. The airflow seems to be a ton better too... I was about ready to give up on my protank ii when I saw this simple solution on reddit. Game changer.
I haven't had any problems with my PTII since I got an iTaste last week but I'm curious to try this. You mean the cylindrical silicon piece right? The one that almost pushed on the wicks? If so, I can do that. Is it cool to do if I have no issues or would it cause other issues?

Khilbron

Dec 31, 2012
United States
I know I'm a little late to the party here, but I've found flipping the little rubber grommet on the chimney completely solves the burning issues I've had. The airflow seems to be a ton better too... I was about ready to give up on my protank ii when I saw this simple solution on reddit. Game changer.

I just did this on my PT2 and my PT1, Just amazing, Thank You so much!

indigo_kidd

Nov 18, 2013
mcallen tx
Did a rinse,and dry burn, and flipped the gromet. Way better hits, no burt taste...for now.

I ordered some SS mesh. From what ive read it wicks faster than silica.
I believe that the burnt taste is from lack of juice begin wicked. Since the gromet covers part of the wick holes i feel like it prevents the juice from wicking well imho.
Either way, flipping the gromet works well to get more juice flow. Hopefully SS mesh works just as well or better.
If your putting out more watts, you are vaping juice faster, therefore need to flow juice in faster.
Id try flipping the grommet first if your using the 1.5 or the 1.8 ohm coils it should have good juice flow at 4.2 v. If you wanna go higher volt and lower resist(by rebuilding coil), id try the ss mesh for faster wicking. :)

Reactions: LeeLee26
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread