Not open for further replies.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
A friend of mine had his tank confiscated from his e cig by TSA. I forgot to ask where, but I believe it was probably in Fla. on his trip back to PA. He had his Evo in his pocket when he go to the scanning station, put it with the stuff going thru the scanner, and was pulled aside by the TSA folks. He explained what it was but they said the fluid could not be verified. They left him keep the battery, but took the tank. Just an FYI

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
He showed me the Evo battery, it was one of those shorty jobs. I don't think he had much of a tank on it. I never heard of such a thing. It could have been an isolated incident, but it's something to think about. I'd be a bit upset if they took my iClear 30. I have a preference for that model these days.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
BTW as an aside, My pool team was headed to AZ out of Philly some six years ago. We got stopped at security because the guy I was with had a wide belt with two six shooters on it. They said he had to put the belt in his luggage bor throw it away because of those pistols. He thought they were kidding, but realized they were dead serious. The FAA had some regulation about reproduction guns. We were incredulous. Fortunately his luggage was still in the staging area so he kept the belt.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
No, he was being straight with me. As I said, it might have been a one off, a TSA guy that was an ANTZ, who knows. You give some guys a little authority and they think they rule the world. Personally, I would have asked for his supervisor, but I'm not a 20 something kid.

Years ago when the TSA was first being formed, I flew into Dulles and headed out to the smoking area while waiting for my luggage. There was a group of guys on break there with TSA T-shirts on who were obviously going through an orientation class and discussing what they had learned that day in class. It was amusing how gung ho they were about their new found authority. Most of the conversation centered around what they could and couldn't do to the passengers. Some seemed to be looking forward to taking down a couple of passengers.

It was like standing outside a Karate studio and listening to the white belts brag about how bad they are.

Last edited:

SimianSteam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
The Jungle
I had something similar happen at a Braves game once. At first they were trying to make me throw out my entire mod (don't remember what it was but based on the my vaping timeline it was probably a $100+ metal tube), but I made them get management. Eventually they made me empty my carto tank... but didn't consider that I had a full 30ml bottle in my pocket. Happily vaped by the Smoking Area several times after that with no problems.

The obvious solution is to make sure all tanks are empty before approaching any security checkpoints anywhere.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I had something similar happen at a Braves game once. At first they were trying to make me throw out my entire mod (don't remember what it was but based on the my vaping timeline it was probably a $100+ metal tube), but I made them get management. Eventually they made me empty my carto tank... but didn't consider that I had a full 30ml bottle in my pocket. Happily vaped by the Smoking Area several times after that with no problems.

The obvious solution is to make sure all tanks are empty before approaching any security checkpoints anywhere.

That's why I fly with a carto installed. If they take it away, I'm out $1 and there's more in my laptop bag. I'm sure those look funny on the xray, though.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
The Evo is an oval shaped device with an integrated tank. Correct?
Rebranded Ovale E-lips
Elips_electronic_cigarette.jpg

Many are used for the vaporization of "things" that must not be discussed here.

Atmos
cloudpen

I

SimianSteam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
The Jungle
That's why I fly with a carto installed. If they take it away, I'm out $1 and there's more in my laptop bag. I'm sure those look funny on the xray, though.

I've flown a half-dozen times in the past couple of months. I've been consistently shocked that no TSA agent has ever even blinked at the mods in my carry on. Things like Zmax V3s, MVPs, multiple bottles of juice...

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've flown a half-dozen times in the past couple of months. I've been consistently shocked that no TSA agent has ever even blinked at the mods in my carry on. Things like Zmax V3s, MVPs, multiple bottles of juice...

I think it depends largely on the experience and the knowledge of the guy who looks at it. If you get a new agent, he's going to be suspicious of everything and wanting to impress his/her boss.

Before the liquid rules were made sensible, I used to put shampoo and other toiletries into those blank bottles you buy for that purpose. After having them confiscated a few times, I started buying samples at the drugstore. I guess if you put an unknown liquid into a retail bottle and the color matches, you're good with them.

Last edited:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Izan, that's exactly the battery he had. I don't know how you could vape that thing (that's legal in 20 states now) with it.

You might not know how...but it IS used and obviously the "mall guard" knew it too.

Did you google "cloud pe n? or @tmos Therm0? SAME DEVICE....
[deleted]

I

Last edited by a moderator:

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE
There's no consistency with them and it's just whatever they feel like doing when you go through. I flew out of Nashville a couple of months ago and the two REOs I was carrying in my bag threw them into spasms. Bag swabbed, ran through screening again, questioned about what they were, etc. Flying back from Orlando they didn't bat an eye at them. Both times the bottles in the mods had juice in them and they didn't give a squat about that either time.

Xobeloot

The Dirty Monkey
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Grafenwöhr, Germany
Interesting. I just flew NY -> ATL -> FL -> ATL -> Costa Rica -> ATL -> NY....

Was carrying my Reo Grand the whole time. I got stopped in NY (Syracuse) on the very first checkpoint and they asked what it was. I explained it (and I run an 8ml onboard juice bottle). They swabbed it for explosives, then dripped some of the juice on a drug test swab and handed it back to me.

International customs, return customs, etc didn't even look twice!

Bummer for your buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread