How often should you clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mateo the Great

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2013
DFW, TX
Hello fellow Vapors!

I use the eVod tank on an ego-t upgrade. I tend to get a burnt taste frequently and I have recently changed the heating coil so I do not feel like that is the cause.

I have seen people talk about cleaning the tanks and coils and what not. Can anyone explain how often you should clean your tank and what method are you using to clean your device/tank? Such as filling a cup of vodka and let soak etc...

Thank you.

Also, any help with the burnt taste would be appreciated.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
I clean my evod out after every 15 mL I just dump it out and rinse the tank. The coils seem to last a few weeks so I just chuck them in a box soon I would build the arc welder required to make proper coils for it. Most importantly you should run at least a 80% VG 20% PG mix in the bottom coil tank setups I think 50/50 works the best IMO

Last edited:

Mateo the Great

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2013
DFW, TX
I clean my evod out after every 15 mL I just dump it out and rinse the tank. The coils seem to last a few weeks so I just chuck them in a box soon I would build the arc welder required to make proper coils for it. Most importantly you should run at least a 80% VG 20% PG mix in the bottom coil tank setups I think 50/50 works the best IMO

Is there any specific reason why you say use a 80% vg and 20% pg mix?

Still trying to understand everything.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
Is there any specific reason why you say use a 80% vg and 20% pg mix?

Still trying to understand everything.

VG is thicker than PG... PG is much more viscous and flows better keeping the coil wet and getting decent air flow are what keeps the coil cool and helps prevent burning

Rabbit Chaser

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2013
San Jose, CA
I clean my tank and coil between each juice change on my ProTanks. The Evod tanks don't get that kind of love, unfortunately, but I don't use them much. I actually shake up some vodka in my glass tanks to get rid of the oil residue but just rinse the coil. Then I drop a bit of juice on the coil before dropping it in.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
I clean my tank and coil between each juice change on my ProTanks. The Evod tanks don't get that kind of love, unfortunately, but I don't use them much. I actually shake up some vodka in my glass tanks to get rid of the oil residue but just rinse the coil. Then I drop a bit of juice on the coil before dropping it in.

That's a good point how long are you letting the coil soak ? Are you letting the wick soak before you fire it try taking some dry hits off of it before you fire it. You can also put your finger over the bottom hole and pull a strong vacuum by taking a dry hit this will help soak the coil

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
1.8 ohms is too low for an evod. You're really talking about pretty much the cheapest and most finicky tank out there. I'm not saying it's not a good tank, I own two of them, but don't expect it to function like even the slightly more expensive protank II Mini. You might try a 2.4 or even a 2.8 and if you have VV you can adjust it. Clean the tank each and every time you change flavors. You may think, oh, my lemon will mix well with my orange, so I won't clean the tank. No, quite possibly the two flavors won't mix right and gunk up your coil. Also with the evod, don't screw anything on too tightly, just snugly. The tighter you screw on that head to the tank the more that rubber gasket gets pushed over the wicks and that can keep it from being properly saturated. Also, let the juice steep for a while. They say a few minutes but with the evod, let it sit upright in the tank for an hour or two to let the juice saturate the wicks. Otherwise your first couple of puffs will be great but the juice won't catch up and you'll end up dry hitting and burning, and if you burn too much you can corrupt your juice with the burnt taste and then you'll still get the burnt taste no matter what you try until you wash everything out once again. New vapers like myself tend to play around with their equipment too often. My advice is, clean everything out really good, fill up the tank to maximum, and when you get a good vape don't mess with anything until the tank is empty, don't fiddle with anything, be glad it's working properly and don't mess up the balance. Want a different flavor juice, get some more tanks. I have five tanks now with five of my favorite flavors in them working excellently and I'd almost rather just buy another tank than mess with the equilibrium.

Oh, and how to clean, I have yet to have a problem using warm water and paper towels and a dry burn, that is if you haven't completely over used it between washings, gunking everything up, which might require vodka or something, I don't know--I don't do that.

Last edited:

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
When a clear liquid turns brown, I clean the body and head. Also, if the area that contains the coil starts getting warm in normal use, it's time for a cleaning. I use tap water throughout, and direct my WaterPic through both ends of the head, while plugging the opposite ends. If I don't get a good flow through the wicks on the T3s, I toss the entire head. They don't cost that much, and I've seldom had to do this.

1.8 ohms is too low for an evod.

Do you know why, specifically, 1.8 ohms is too low? If you went with a higher resistance, but then increased the voltage to compensate, wouldn't the net effect be the same amount of heat coming off the coil?

Disclaimer: I'm a newbie, so maybe this is a dumb question.

Mateo the Great

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2013
DFW, TX
I clean the body and the head. I toss the entire head. They don't cost that much, and I've seldom had to do this.

When you say toss the head and get a new one. Are you referring to the heating coil? I'm guessing the body is the tank itself. So typical hot water will wash out the juice in the wicks? How exactly will I know when my "Head" is clogged and I would have to use vodka to clean it out?

Sorry for sounding so newbish. Just trying to make sure I understand what is going on when I come across it. I like to be thorough :)

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
I unscrew the tank and rinse everything under very hot running water about every 2/3/4 tank fills. Just doing this will extend the life of your coils into the weeks rather than days.
If you want to take it a step further, every few days you can do a quick dry burn to clean the built up gunk on the coil.

I like these vids from 317 vapors. Here's one how to clean and dry burn an EVOD

Finally, a 1.8 coil with a 3.7 volt battery should be absolutely fine - assuming your clearo is wicking well and is clean.

cryptic

Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
A2, MI
I think it's highly dependent on your juice. I think 80 VG /20 PG is a pretty thick juice for an evod and default coil wicks. I do have several Evods and I honestly don't clean them that often. Only when they mis-behave. Hell I have one tank running 50/50 mint that I've never cleaned. I've probably run a dozen tanks through it over the last month or two and still running well. Other sweet or dark juices I can get 3 or 4 tanks in.

1.8 ohm at 3.7v is pushing it IMHO. Also, if it's a non-adjustable ego battery have you measured the output? I initially thought the fixed Ego batteries I had were running ~3.7 but when I actually measured them they were putting out ~4v.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
1.8 ohm at 3.7v is pushing it IMHO. Also, if it's a non-adjustable ego battery have you measured the output? I initially thought the fixed Ego batteries I had were running ~3.7 but when I actually measured them they were putting out ~4v.

1.8ohm at 3.7 volts is less than 8 watts. That's really not pushing it IMO.

I agree it may be on the hot side for some - but a lot of people on these forums will vape at 8-10 watts with a clearo (and many more than that using other equipment)

If you google 'vaping chart' you will find the below that gives a ballpark figure as to what voltage to use with various different resistance heads.
While not the definitive answer, it does give a good starting point. You'll see 1.8ohm head at 3.7 volts well within the acceptable range.

I know it's a little small, but I can't get it to post as a scaleable image. Just google it already :)
vapechart.jpg

Of course, it's all about flavor and what works for you...

scrutineer

Sep 21, 2013
Massachusetts
When I was using Evods regularly (with the Evod battery) I would clean and dryburn every 3 days. Throw out the flavor wick and replace it with one 1mm silica. (I use 100%VG exclusively) No dry hits; no flooding. I still have some with the original 2mm wick and coil that were used for 1 1/2 months and are still serviceable in my PT2.

I was also using 1.8 ohm coils. The Evod battery is self-regulated @ 3.7 through the life of the charge which gives you ~ 7 watts, which, for me anyway, was a nice vape.

Bklynzfinest

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2013
Brooklyn,NY
I clean whenever switching juice or every 2-3 refills depending on the juice. I take the tanks apart, run them under hot water for a second just to wash them out, if the coil is gunked up I do a dry burn (always remember to rinse again after this!). I'll also torch the flavor wicks if they are no longer white, this restores them to new. The entire process takes about 5 mins total, and everything works like new afterwards. Been using the same 2.2ohm coil on my evod since I got it (a month ago!!) and it's still working perfectly. My husband however goes through a coil a week because he never cleans his stuff, and they end up gunked up to the point where they're not salvageable. It's all about the maintenance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread