Pneumonia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arkangel

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Chicago Suburbs
Are you suggesting that because we're inhaling vapor that it'll condense in the lungs and fill them up with liquid?

Don't think there's much risk of that seeing as the PG used in the most common liquids is the same as that used in smoke/fog machines used in theatrical performances/rock concerts, etc. If everyone exposed to that came down with pneumonia, I'd think we'd have heard about it...:rolleyes:

VapingRulz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Florida
does anyone know if theres a risk of it? even vapor "water" can easily cause pneumonia or infection of the lungs. i know there havent been tests done yet but is anyone at all concerned? im no doctor but i just thought of that.

I'm not worried. I think you're far more likely to get pneumonia from smoking than you are from vaping. I had it last year and got a huge lecture from the doctor about the link between analogs and bronchitis/pneumonia.

I can breathe deeply now. Three months ago I was struggling to breathe. That's all the evidence I need.

monotony

Jan 2, 2010
bay city, michigan
a friend of mine actually got pneumonia from smokin e cigs, she had been going to [removed] she thought it was a chest cold or an allergic reaction to an ingredient and it was a flavored liquid. the doctor apparently told her that there must be an ingredient in e liquid that triggered it.

spooked me a little bit, and i have a 30ml of blueberry coming from [them] ill let you know if i get pneumonia though.

Last edited by a moderator:

420GypsyGirl

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2010
Near a beach in a desert.
Actually, a study, done by a doctor in the 1940's at the University of Chicago, with Propolyn Glycol proved just the opposite. Propolyn Glycol kills the virus and bacteria types of pneumonia which are the two major pneumonia causing pathogens. So it is doubtful it was caused by a virus or a bacteria.

However, with that being said, it is possible that she may have rather been diagnosed with lipiod pneumonia which can definitely be caused by something like vaping due to the nature of the e-liquid she used. If she used a liquid with VG it might very well have caused it.

About Lipoid Pneumonia:

Lipoid pneumonia is an uncommon condition that results from the chronic aspiration of mineral, animal, or vegetable oils into the lungs. Inhaled oil is phagocytosed by macrophages that fill the alveoli and distend the alveolar walls, causing acute and chronic pneumonitis. Over time, the macrophages transport the oil from the alveoli to the interlobular septa, resulting in localized granulomas and pulmonary fibrosis.

Such things as nasal drops and mineral oil, vegetable oil have been known to cause this type of pneumonia when inhaled. So there you go. Vaping could very well cause a certain type of pneumonia...so be careful out there!

SikVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2010
Cali
Actually, a study, done by a doctor in the 1940's at the University of Chicago, with Propolyn Glycol proved just the opposite. Propolyn Glycol kills the virus and bacteria types of pneumonia which are the two major pneumonia causing pathogens. So it is doubtful it was caused by a virus or a bacteria.

However, with that being said, it is possible that she may have rather been diagnosed with lipiod pneumonia which can definitely be caused by something like vaping due to the nature of the e-liquid she used. If she used a liquid with VG it might very well have caused it.

About Lipoid Pneumonia:

Lipoid pneumonia is an uncommon condition that results from the chronic aspiration of mineral, animal, or vegetable oils into the lungs. Inhaled oil is phagocytosed by macrophages that fill the alveoli and distend the alveolar walls, causing acute and chronic pneumonitis. Over time, the macrophages transport the oil from the alveoli to the interlobular septa, resulting in localized granulomas and pulmonary fibrosis.

Such things as nasal drops and mineral oil, vegetable oil have been known to cause this type of pneumonia when inhaled. So there you go. Vaping could very well cause a certain type of pneumonia...so be careful out there!

can VG be considered an "oil" though?

Wench

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Pensacola, Fl.
VG isn't a oil, it's water soluble. Oil's would have a tendency to stick since they aren't water soluble- hence avoid any flavorings that are oil based.
So i don't think you'd have to worry about that type of pnemonia either unless your adding oil type flavorings to your juice.
VG can harbor bacteria from what I read , just becareful how you handle it ( wash hands etc etc , use common sense), and clean any tools you use with it and you should be fine. I would think that a bit of PGA or pg added to it would negate any possibility of contamination ( like a preservative)

Kimmy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
This is my first post, I've been lurking for a few months. Just wanted to share that I just came out of the hospital, I had pneumonia. I don't know why, but I believe the vaping caused it. It came on very sudden and viscous. All happened in an 8 hour timespan. I've been vaping for 3 months.

I really really really doubt your pneumonia was caused by vaping. There are 30 different ways to get it.

I don't know if it is pneumonia, but I have been vaping for a couple of months and I definitely get a heavy feeling in my chest if I vape too much. My breathing becomes labored, and I can hack up fluid by exhaling sharply. I also notice wheezing sounds, and can feel liquid bubbling in my trachea at the end of each day. Not pleasant, but it seems to be temporary. If I stop vaping for several hours, and clear my passages (choke and spit it out) the condition improves markedly. I don't experience this with analogs, but it may have something to do with my body trying to clean itself of some of the accumulated poisons. I have gone from roughly 40 cigarettes per day down to less than 5 or 6- oftentimes only 1 or 2 analogs. Trouble is I vape all day and all night long incessantly, much more than I smoked. The key would be to stop the analogs entirely, and slow the vaping down to a reasonable level. Anything in excess is just that- excessive.

Probably not pneumonia, but definitely feels like it could become pneumonia. I find I like the vaping better than smoking now (most of the time), but I have a pass-thru plugged into my laptop at home, another in my car, a third one in my desktop at work, and I carry 3 XL batts and a 5-pack of 18mg cartos with me wherever I go, for when I have to leave my pass-thrus. I also bought a couple of extra batteries as backups, and purchase $100 worth of cartos at a time.. Refilling these isn't as nice as opening a brand new carto and taking the second or third puff. I've found that once they get too dry they burn a little and that burnt taste lingers, ruining the carto. I just vape 'em until they get a burning taste, pitch 'em and put a new carto on- no muss, no fuss.. Trouble is that it is so hassle free and easy this way that a e-cig is in my hands whenever I'm awake, and I'm insomniac with severe sleep apnea and hypothyroidism. I'll wake up every hour or so, and vape until I can't do another hit, crash for an hour, repeat.

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
I don't know if it is pneumonia, but I have been vaping for a couple of months and I definitely get a heavy feeling in my chest if I vape too much. My breathing becomes labored, and I can hack up fluid by exhaling sharply. I also notice wheezing sounds, and can feel liquid bubbling in my trachea at the end of each day. Not pleasant, but it seems to be temporary. If I stop vaping for several hours, and clear my passages (choke and spit it out) the condition improves markedly. I don't experience this with analogs, but it may have something to do with my body trying to clean itself of some of the accumulated poisons. I have gone from roughly 40 cigarettes per day down to less than 5 or 6- oftentimes only 1 or 2 analogs. Trouble is I vape all day and all night long incessantly, much more than I smoked. The key would be to stop the analogs entirely, and slow the vaping down to a reasonable level. Anything in excess is just that- excessive.

Probably not pneumonia, but definitely feels like it could become pneumonia. I find I like the vaping better than smoking now (most of the time), but I have a pass-thru plugged into my laptop at home, another in my car, a third one in my desktop at work, and I carry 3 XL batts and a 5-pack of 18mg cartos with me wherever I go, for when I have to leave my pass-thrus. I also bought a couple of extra batteries as backups, and purchase $100 worth of cartos at a time.. Refilling these isn't as nice as opening a brand new carto and taking the second or third puff. I've found that once they get too dry they burn a little and that burnt taste lingers, ruining the carto. I just vape 'em until they get a burning taste, pitch 'em and put a new carto on- no muss, no fuss.. Trouble is that it is so hassle free and easy this way that a e-cig is in my hands whenever I'm awake, and I'm insomniac with severe sleep apnea and hypothyroidism. I'll wake up every hour or so, and vape until I can't do another hit, crash for an hour, repeat.

Oh, I believe there is such a thing as over vaping. That's where the studies on PG and VG come in. Many long term vapors are getting clear phlegm. As much less harmful as vaping seems to be, we are still inhaling a substance. Our lungs were made to breathe oxygen. Anything in excess is not good, imho.

Trackster

Sep 7, 2009
I was not on a nebulizer in the hospital. I'm now 5 days post and still have some wheezing in my chest. I am in perfect health otherwise, no other health problems whatsoever. My gut feeling tells me the vaping caused the pneumonia. There is nothing I would rather do than keep vaping, but at the risk of my health it's not worth it. There really isn't enough research/information out there yet. We can help by posting our experiences. And at the back of my mind is, what are the Chinese putting in these ecigs? I'm sure you have all thought the same thing. Vaping is "vapor", pnuemonia is "fluid" in the lungs. Do you have to be a rocket scientist to figure this out? I had pneumonia without a hacking cough or cold symptoms, it was very suspicious. I welcome your feedback.

Kimmy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
I was not on a nebulizer in the hospital. I'm now 5 days post and still have some wheezing in my chest. I am in perfect health otherwise, no other health problems whatsoever. My gut feeling tells me the vaping caused the pneumonia. There is nothing I would rather do than keep vaping, but at the risk of my health it's not worth it. There really isn't enough research/information out there yet. We can help by posting our experiences. And at the back of my mind is, what are the Chinese putting in these ecigs? I'm sure you have all thought the same thing. Vaping is "vapor", pnuemonia is "fluid" in the lungs. Do you have to be a rocket scientist to figure this out? I had pneumonia without a hacking cough or cold symptoms, it was very suspicious. I welcome your feedback.

........the chinese makes almost EVERYTHING. I really doubt they are trying to poison us, if ya ask me that is seriously paranoid thinking. "I'm sure you have all thought the same thing." Based on what assumption? You have nothing to base this off of, I have never once thought the chinese are secretly trying to KILL US ALL!

fuzzie

Mar 12, 2010
NC
I think the question is more of quality control than they are "trying" to kill us. Is the liquid made in a clean sterile lab environment or is there some guy out back of the shop with a garden hose, a 55 gallone drum and a hand drill with a mixer attachment. I quit analogs early Sept. and have been vaping since then. I still have a lot of questions in my mind about the safety of vaping but I do feel better than I did when I smoked analogs.

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa

PG and VG are humectants. They dry up secretions, not moisten them.

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
The chinese actually killed many of their own children when they found melamine in their milk supply. This is what I'm talking about, fuzzy hit the nail on the head, quality control. There is no one looking over their shoulder, no regulation. If you google "china melamine milk" you will see many news stories.

If you search through the threads, there are pictures of the plants in china. Very quality controlled. I know there are pictures in the Vapor4Life sub forum. Have a look.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread