Status
Not open for further replies.

MonicaRae

ECF Veteran
1St Off Excuse The Caps Its The Site & My Phone. I Have All 808 Batts & Also A Volt Spinner.I Have Come To Dispize Cartomizers. I Hate Them Hate them .

I'm Looking For A Great Clearomizer Or Something Of That Sort. I Havent Gone The Tank Route Im A Little Intimidated Truthfully.

I Have Tried The T3 & I'm Sorry But At 1St It Seemed Great But I've Replaced Heads, Etc It Leaks & I'm Frustrated. I've Gone W/V2 Liquimax Blanks Beta & The Ex Out Of Beta. My Opinion The Ones In Beta Were Better Just Burned Thru juice. I Just Tried SI's Nano Clearomizer I Guess Its Bottom Coil So Far So Good But Funny Taste & Burns Thru juice.

So I Appeal To My Fellow Vapors Before I Waste More Money Please HELP ME! I've Seen reviews On The Phoenix? Great Ones So How Is That & What Else Is GoOd & What Companies?? Pls Guys I'm Desperate.

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
I love , love . love Carto's with Tanks personaly ( as long as its a quality carto and tank),,,,but...Why dont you just get the Phoenix and give it a try ?

The I clear 30 has had the most favorable reviews for the clearomizers it seems to me..(Top wick assy) You may want to give one of those a shot.

MonicaRae

ECF Veteran
I can't believe you just said that...I just posted about 10 mins ago that I just received a package of Phoenix's in the mail. I wish I could just copy and paste what I said in my post. Not a great experience so far. I got the 808 threading cuz that's basically what all my batteries are. They only work on 2 of my batteries and I know its because the connection thing isn't sticking out enough so me thinking I know what I'm doing I go ahead and unscrew it a little then pull it out a little and oh it works...next thing you know juice is running down the battery all over everything.

So I have a pack of phoenix's now I've only given 3 a go...1 which I threw away cuz it was a disaster and the other 2 so far which I've filled can only work on a couple of batteries and I'm scared as ever to touch the little connection thing.

So please tell me what I did wrong! Was I only supposed to pull a little? I'm a mess and now afraid lol.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I can't believe you just said that...I just posted about 10 mins ago that I just received a package of Phoenix's in the mail. I wish I could just copy and paste what I said in my post. Not a great experience so far. I got the 808 threading cuz that's basically what all my batteries are. They only work on 2 of my batteries and I know its because the connection thing isn't sticking out enough so me thinking I know what I'm doing I go ahead and unscrew it a little then pull it out a little and oh it works...next thing you know juice is running down the battery all over everything.

So I have a pack of phoenix's now I've only given 3 a go...1 which I threw away cuz it was a disaster and the other 2 so far which I've filled can only work on a couple of batteries and I'm scared as ever to touch the little connection thing.

So please tell me what I did wrong! Was I only supposed to pull a little? I'm a mess and now afraid lol.

Tank-cartos are the most consistent and least hassle of all vaping heads. Non-tank cartos can also work fine as long as you know how to fill them and keeping them moist but not over-filling.

You can get an 808 to 510 adapter that will allow you to use 510 cartos of which there are many more. My suggestion is to get a good glass tank and use pre-punched cartos like IKenvapes or Smoktek's.

Here is a video by one of the best reviewers from ECF on how to fill a carto:

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Unfortunately there is no perfect answer to your request because no matter what anyone recommends YMMV. Everyone has different tastes and is willing to put up with different things. There is no perfect trouble-free vape imho.

I started out with cigalike 808 batts and loved them when they worked good, but hated them when they didn't... and when they did work good they only worked for a short time. Also, I was buying good, expensive cartos but even still, too many were bad out of the box, and they can't be rebuilt. I got tired of boiling/topping them off/fiddling with them, and also came to hate them.

I also tried a Phoenix clearo for them... bought two 5-packs b/c the reviews were so good... and they SUCKED. Of the 10, maybe two or three worked and only until it was time to refill them... after the first refill they gurgled and were no good even though I followed the directions to a tee.

1St Off Excuse The Caps Its The Site & My Phone. I Have All 808 Batts & Also A Volt Spinner.I Have Come To Dispize Cartomizers. I Hate Them Hate them .

I'm Looking For A Great Clearomizer Or Something Of That Sort. I Havent Gone The Tank Route Im A Little Intimidated Truthfully.

I Have Tried The T3 & I'm Sorry But At 1St It Seemed Great But I've Replaced Heads, Etc It Leaks & I'm Frustrated.

Can't tell if you are saying you were disappointed in it b/c you had to replace heads... or were just saying it was leaking and you tried replacing heads and it didn't help. IAC all tanks will require head replacing... though if you want you can learn to rebuild them to save money. (Assume you know this but....)

I your Volt Spinner has eGo cone threads I'd recommend the Aro pyrex tank Smoktech ARO Pyrex Glass BCC - Red, with one caveat if you keep reading....

I've Gone W/V2 Liquimax Blanks Beta & The Ex Out Of Beta. My Opinion The Ones In Beta Were Better Just Burned Thru Juice. I Just Tried SI's Nano Clearomizer I Guess Its Bottom Coil So Far So Good But Funny Taste & Burns Thru Juice.

Many (I would say ALL myself) tanks and heads require washing or soaking in something like vodka before using the first time. This to get rid of the machine oils used in the manufacturing process. Otherwise they taste horrid.

Also, most heads have a rubber grommet in them that can add a rubbery-yucky taste to the vape, especially if charred. The new Kanger heads have replaced this rubber grommet with a silicone grommet to avoid that. But there is probably a lot of old stock still out there with the rubber grommets, so if you try a Kanger tank, like the mini Protank 2 (510 connection), make sure the vendor's stock includes the new heads. The mini Protank 2 is a pyrex tank too, so good for caustic juices. However people have a love/hate relationship with Protanks... some people love 'em, some hate 'em.

The Aro tank I mentioned above uses its own Aro heads, which still use rubber grommets. That said, the Aro is as trouble-free as a vape can get, imho, aside from that issue which may or may not bother you. (I replaced my rubber grommets with silicone tubing but that involves rebuilding the heads.)

So I Appeal To My Fellow Vapors Before I Waste More Money Please HELP ME! I've Seen Reviews On The Phoenix? Great Ones So How Is That & What Else Is GoOd & What Companies?? Pls Guys I'm Desperate.

I'm afraid no one can guarantee you won't waste more money... we are all in the same boat of trying stuff out to see what we can live with, and what we can't. :) Good luck though. :)

PS I'm not familiar with the Volt, but you can always get an adapter to use eGo or 510-threaded devices.

Last edited:

Jay-dub

Moved On
Oct 10, 2013
Kansas City, MO
The iClear30-S works really well and is sort of a pretend carto since the wicks are all tucked into the center chamber like the filling of a carto. If you're going to have to spend some money to get something effective it's relatively cheap. I'm still using the stock parts and today's the seventh day. I still have good taste and vapor production.

MonicaRae

ECF Veteran
I might just end up sticking with Smokeless Images products because I bought a package of Phoenix's and they don't connect on 2 of my batteries. I fiddled with the connection thing on the bottom on 1 of them and next thing you know I look over and juice has completely leaked everywhere. What's the correct way of extending the post down? Just pulling a little bit? I think I turned it a bit then pulled down...alot...then pushed it up a little cuz I pulled down too much.

So I've only filled 2 of the Phoenix's well 3 if you count the one that just pretty much drained juice everywhere but I threw that one away. The 2 I have filled work on my Spinner and 1 of my little Volt batteries but I have a few other Volt batteries that they just won't make a connection on which is weird because it connects to one of the regular ones and they are all the same size.

Everyone keeps saying go 510 but I like my 808's and my smokeless image products. My first e-cig was a v2 actually and even though highly priced it's a good e-cig~ too bad it's dead. I won't buy another though too much money.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
[...] Everyone keeps saying go 510 but I like my 808's and my smokeless image products. My first e-cig was a v2 actually and even though highly priced it's a good e-cig~ too bad it's dead. I won't buy another though too much money.

Firstly, by all means stick with what you like. For myself, however, I wasted $250 on 808 gear, LOVING it at first, trying to do what you're doing... find some device that vaped well on the 808's besides a carto. Now that $250 worth of 808 gear is shelved -- the stuff that wasn't thrown out -- of which half was.

Then I spent $250 on 510 gear... a Vamo, extra nice charger, 2 batts, 2 Aro pyrex tanks, a PT2, extra heads, DIY flavors, VG, PG, wick and wire (my choice to rebuild, not necessary)... and guess how many things I have thrown away of all my 510 gear? Zip. It is all usable and I love it all.

The only 808 device I will ever buy in the future (just for fun) is the Vapor4Life Zeus auto batt with the giant smilomizer cartos. These are supposed to be awesome and an auto batt would be handy on occasion. The Zeus also has a PT that comes with it so you can vape while charging. It is pricey, however. Even just a single Smilomizer is $7-9 depending on which size you get, and that doesn't include shipping. I believe however, they also made a tank for the Zeus, and this would also be an 808 device, so you might want to at least cruise their website to see if anything interests you.

Otherwise good luck with your 808 quest and hope you find something you really like.

MonicaRae

ECF Veteran
Okay so seeing that I'm already over $100 deep in 808 gear and its time for something new what would you recommend?
Going the 510 route I mean? My 808's are about a year old anyway and I never went really really deep into it...the biggest battery I have is a 650mah volt spinner (yes I know ooooh)
Knowing that about me and also with the knowledge I am not like the ppl who spend big bucks on their vaping gear (a $100 battery NEVER) where should I start? A starter kit? hmmm IDK?????????? An Ego?? A Vamo?? There are SO many possibilities.. a few choices to narrow it down would be lovely

TafkanX

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Lubbock, Texas, United States
Might try something like the iTaste VV. Still relatively inexpensive (20-30 bucks depending on where you get it), has ego/510 threading, variable voltage and variable wattage, and passthrough capability (vape while charging). Smallish form-factor, too. Not the longest battery life (something like 800mah), but that isn't a huge issue if you've got access to a USB port.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
GotVapes has the itaste v3.0 w variable voltage and variable wattage in an express kit w/a pass thru charging cord and an iclear 16 for $49.95...that doesn't seem too bad. Hmmm should I go for it? Then I gotta buy some cartos or something...

I am not familiar with this product but in your description you mention it comes with an iClear... that's a [plastic] tank. So no carto necessary.

However you probably want to be aware there are two types of tanks: plastic and pyrex (glass). Clear plastic tanks can crack from certain types of juices, like citruses and cinnamons. If you don't vape the juices that can cause problems in plastic tanks, you're good. But pyrex tanks are more highly recommended, as you don't have to worry about it, and glass is also inert whereas some plastics might release chems in your juices.

If you wanted to get the above kit you could always add an Aro pyrex tank: Smoktech ARO Pyrex Glass BCC - Red It's only $8 and performs fantastic, though you will need to buy replacement heads for it too (link on same page).

But as to switching to 510 gear, it really all gets down to money. The above suggested kit is certainly an upgrade from 808s and it costs very little. Two huge pluses. But if you can afford about twice that, you'll save money in the long run. Because every time one of these eGo-style batteries reaches its end of life, it needs to be replaced. If you buy a mod that holds a separate battery, that internal battery can be replaced for a lot less money, and will have a a lot longer life and more cycles.

Just speaking for myself, after wasting so much on 808 gear, when I went the 510 route I wanted to make sure I would never have to "upgrade" again. I might wear stuff out and have to replace it, but I didn't want to "grow out of my gear" and need to buy everything all over. I was willing to pay a little more up front to save money over the long haul.

So another option is to consider a Vamo $36.31 Vamo V3 Variable Voltage/Wattage Mod / APV - stainless steel / with extension part at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping or Innokin SVD (very similar) $36.97 Authentic iTaste SVD Telescopic Variable Volt/Watt APV at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping from FastTech. You can use an 18650 battery in them (IMR EFEST 2000mah from RTD Vapors for about $8.45ea https://www.rtdvapor.com/online-store/batteries/efest18650-detail), and you'd buy 2 so that while one is charging, you can be vaping on another.

You'll also need a charger. I was new to charging batts and know it can be dangerous. In fact after charging you are supposed to use a volt meter to check the batts to make sure they're ok and charged to their full rate. I didn't want to deal with all that and knew I'd get tired of bothering so I chose to spend a little more on a very excellent and safe charger that has a volt meter built in with an LED window. It shows me the charge state at all times, and it's safe to leave batts in it, even after they are fully charged. It's the XTAR-VP1 and I got it for $45 after a 10% discount with coupon code FB10. http://http://www.md-lightsource.com/Xtar-VP1-Digital-Charger-digital-display-VP1.htm

Add your Aro pyrex tank to this for $8 and some heads for another $6 and the grand total = $115 or so.

You can go A LOT cheaper by getting a "starter kit" from FastTech that includes a Vamo , 1 Sony batt and an iCore charger $53.94 Vamo V3 Variable Voltage Mod E-Cigarette Battery Compartment Kit - with Nitecore I2 US battery charger/charger cable/1*Sony 18650 battery at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping.

The charger in this case is well respected here but it does not have a volt meter built in and no LED window, and it isn't as good as the XTAR-VP1... it is recommended you don't leave batts in it, once charged, and you will have to check them with a volt meter after. As to the battery, I'd personally toss it and get two from RTD Vapors. You don't want to save money on buying cheap batts and the description doesn't specify much about this one. Maybe someone has a better starter kit to recommend... I avoid starter kits because they always include lesser quality items. But it IS an option if strapped and you really want a mod. You will have to add a tank to this, so the $8 Aro and extra $6 heads adds another $18 or so [with shipping] for a total investment of about $72.

ONE MORE NOTE: I heard people were having trouble getting batts shipped from FastTech so might want to look into that before ordering a kit that includes a batt.

An 18650 batt will last a LOT longer than an eGo style battery. But the first kit -- the iTaste -- is a good way to go if you don't want a big fat mod. :D

Anyway. My :2c:

Last edited:

TafkanX

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Lubbock, Texas, United States
That sounds about par for the course. The price I quoted (well, approximated) was for the kit with just the device and the charging cable, the one you're looking at appears to be the full kit. I don't have any experience with the iClear 16s but I have had mostly positive experiences with the iClear 30 which is their larger brother. I'm just not a huge fan of polycarbonate tanks (glass is boss) or top coils in general. Those are just personal preferences though, as long as you're not chugging corrosive liquids (I don't either, I'm just persnickety) I imagine they'll work just fine to get you started. A lot of people love them, I just can't be bothered to tilt and swirl whenever the tank starts getting low.

Edit: +1 for the SVD suggestion (or similar, vamo, etc.) if you're willing to spend a little extra. I personally use an SVD with a Protank 2 and rebuild the coil heads. I also have a Nitecore i4 Intellicharger which has worked very well for me. I do have an iTaste VV 3.0 and Mini Protank 2 as a backup as well (yes, I favor Innokin and Kanger).

The Pyrex Aro is an excellent suggestion as well, I had one for a while and had no issues with it. I gave it to my girlfriend when I got my Protank and Mini and she still uses it to this day.

I usually don't suggest my kit as starter gear because a lot of people are operating on a budget (myself included), but if you're willing to drop a little extra on startup it's definitely worth it.

Last edited:

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
That sounds about par for the course. The price I quoted (well, approximated) was for the kit with just the device and the charging cable, the one you're looking at appears to be the full kit. I don't have any experience with the iClear 16s but I have had mostly positive experiences with the iClear 30 which is their larger brother. I'm just not a huge fan of polycarbonate tanks (glass is boss) or top coils in general. Those are just personal preferences though, as long as you're not chugging corrosive liquids (I don't either, I'm just persnickety) I imagine they'll work just fine to get you started. A lot of people love them, I just can't be bothered to tilt and swirl whenever the tank starts getting low.

Edit: +1 for the SVD suggestion (or similar, vamo, etc.) if you're willing to spend a little extra. I personally use an SVD with a Protank 2 and rebuild the coil heads. I also have a Nitecore i4 Intellicharger which has worked very well for me. I do have an iTaste VV 3.0 and Mini Protank 2 as a backup as well (yes, I favor Innokin and Kanger).

The Pyrex Aro is an excellent suggestion as well, I had one for a while and had no issues with it. I gave it to my girlfriend when I got my Protank and Mini and she still uses it to this day.

I usually don't suggest my kit as starter gear because a lot of people are operating on a budget (myself included), but if you're willing to drop a little extra on startup it's definitely worth it.

I too was tempted to suggest a Protank or Mini-Protank but some people hate 'em while others love 'em. (I also love my PT2.) So far I haven't read any complaints about the Aro though I'm sure they're out there, but it seems to be well liked across the board. One thing though, since it uses the eGo threads it doesn't look as nice on a fat mod like the Vamo or SVD as the Protank with it's wider diameter.

IAC I think the OP has already made up her mind as she hasn't been back, and I doubt she even saw my post. So maybe she just decided on the iTaste.

And I hear you about not suggesting your setup due to cost... I just thought I'd throw out what I did since I wasted so much money on 808 gear before I went the 510 route. I wanted to make absolutely sure that didn't happen again. And I LOVE everything I have... from my mod, to the separate batts, to the charger to my tanks. I wish I would have bought this to begin with.

That said, I sure like the footprint of a cigalike. If only they vaped like a mod and lasted like an 18650. :)

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
My favorite clearo was iclear 16

But now that ive gone carto tank i wont go back
Try a smokdct with smok flanged carto.
Make sure its punched.

I was totally intimidated and my god its so much easier than clearos!
No burnt hits, no leaking. Its a piece of cake and all my juice tastes amazing.

I have one ibtanked
And 8 smok dct

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
Www.desertvapes.com has the iclear cheaper the vv3 is $25
Fast shipping, its where i bought mine.
I also have the mvp2

I had bad luck buying from gotvapes. Everything i bought from them broke and they are more expensiv than most vendors, on the other hand they are really nice and helpful as long as it does not cost them money

MonicaRae

ECF Veteran
I'm still here and reading everything believe me. I haven't decided yet. There's many options out there...I'm not too concerned with the tank or clearomizers at this point..more about the mod or just the battery. I've followed all the links you guys have posted and checked everything out...even that starter kit for the Vamo, I'm tempted on that one. I'm scared about the whole watch the battery situation though!
I like starter kits...nice easy everything is there in one neat box. Fasttech is a complicated website I must say though... I was scrolling through the list and it gets a bit confusing -- for me anyways. I just wish there was like an easy way someone could say here 3 options bam! I wouldn't actually mind a mod but then I was looking thru the batteries and there are SO many diff one's how could u possibly know which one is right and which one is wrong?
It's just making my head spin a little...hence not responding for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread