Peppie's Black Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peppie

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2013
Bonney Lake Wa, US of A
You have to start somewhere, so here we go.
At this time I do not own a lathe. I got to thinking I dont need no stinking lathe.
Some time back a couple of years ago my wife went on vacation, ( somewhere forgot where) any way this is what she brought me home. She had one of the locals go out back and chop it off a tree!!

Oh yea it was Africa

Any who , this is what I will be shaping into a pipe.

Some rough out at the band saw. I cut a square tendon on the bottom, so I have have a good square grip while it is in the vise.

Did a little work at the sander

Now that I have a rough shape in mind I will stew on the details a bit, until I get my part in hand.

Peppie

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2013
Bonney Lake Wa, US of A
Please, please, take detailed pics throughout the build! So many, and so detailed, that even an idiot like me couldn't mess up a build!

Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. How do you plan to cure or dry the wood?

I will provide lots of pics and detail. Promise

The wood has been in the garage for over 3 1/2 years. (now that I think about it)
Should be OK by Now.
Epoxy filler is a wonderful tool if needed. Comes in many colors.

Last edited:

Peppie

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2013
Bonney Lake Wa, US of A
Of course you don't NEED a lathe, but you know you want one :)
That's a killer piece of wood, and a great start. I'm looking forward to the rest of this project.

If past performance is any indicator (and I know it is), this is gonna be really nice.

You are so right I do want one. Will probably have one with in a month. I have to be careful to get it into the shop without the Mrs. seeing it. I have my eye on this cheap POS
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-x-12-inch-bench-top-wood-lathe-95607.html
I dont need it to make money for me, and I will most likely have to tweek it in some way or another. But it can surely turn small pieces of wood.

Cavediver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Buford, Ga
If you go the CL route, stay away from the lathes that have a single tube down the center. They're better than nothing, but the tool rest is a PITA, and the tailstock doesn't stay in line with the drive spindle. I'm going to use mine for a few more projects, and then it'll be time to upgrade (or at least step sideways into an old one that needs some rehab).

Peppie

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2013
Bonney Lake Wa, US of A
If you go the CL route, stay away from the lathes that have a single tube down the center. They're better than nothing, but the tool rest is a PITA, and the tailstock doesn't stay in line with the drive spindle. I'm going to use mine for a few more projects, and then it'll be time to upgrade (or at least step sideways into an old one that needs some rehab).[/QUOT

The only thing I am seeing on CL at this time are floor models, and some really old belt drive bench tops.
The one at HF has adjustable speeds with out having to fiddle with a belt pulley.

My first lathe was a bench top drill press laying on its side, with a wood base ,and bed, and tailstock, and toolrest. I turned 36'' 4x4s on it for table legs.

Next was a borrowed (i think craftsman) single tube bed as you mentioned. Didnt like that one. AT ALL.

Next was an old cast delta with the motor and belt pulley. Ran out of shop room and had to sell it.
I enjoyed segment turning, it wasnt unheard of to have well over 100 pieces glued up for a vessel.

Been shopping the net for old large gold buttons for the top of the EPM switch. They rang anywhere from 19mm to 25mm in diam.
Could be a trick switch by the time I am done.
Wish I had a source for the caps that whats his name( overseas) uses on his pipes. " PumpDedek from Czech Rep."

Peppie

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2013
Bonney Lake Wa, US of A
OK guys

This is what I have come up with for "Plan-B-"
Had this laying around for a few years now, I guess it is time to make use of it.

Just my luck it is to tall to fit under the bandsaw. Time for a quick 15 min. workout

Wah-La

Now I can use the bandsaw to see what I got.

These will produce a couple really nice bowls

I will ponder on some details for a couple of days.
Stay tuned!

Peppie

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2013
Bonney Lake Wa, US of A
So I got the honey do list done early today so I could have some shop time.
I roughed out the pipe shape at the bandsaw

Took some measurements off my Highland Pipe, and drilled some holes. 7/8'' key ring/switch hole first. Then came the 3/4'' battery hole. Followed by 1/4'' wire lead hole.

Nice rough shape to start with.

WARNING. Be sure to MARK your bowl blank for your battery location, on the face of your blank. Be sure to have that side of the blank facing up on your saw as you cut the blank.

Barely have 2 hours in this project and I am already on plan -C-

Peppie

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2013
Bonney Lake Wa, US of A
I am glad I cut an extra, for just in case. LOL

Here goes plan-C-

Again. 7/8'' diam, about 3/4'' deep (left some wiggle room). Followed with the 3/4'' battery hole.

Double check the depth

This is a 3/8'' bit for the lead wires

Looks good from here

Drilled a 1/2'' hole for the ego connector. (didnt have a 9/16) I will need to do a little dremel work to get the connector to fit snug.
This is a 1/4'' bit to run the wire leads thru.

Over to the bandsaw for a rough cut. (notice the out line of the battery compartment)

Tape the cut-off piece on to the blank so I can cut the side profile

Now I will spend some time at the beltsander. I need to shape one side, then do the same to the other side, this will keep me somewhat uniform in shape

Peppie

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2013
Bonney Lake Wa, US of A
I thought I had every thing I needed to get this build completed....... BUT NOOOOOOO!!!

I bought some of this, to make the top switch connection ring

And I bought this to solder it to the 20ga wire

But for some reason the solder will not stick to the brass. Am I an idiot?? I spent 2 hours fiddleing with it.
I am sure there is a simple explanation. Please someone let me in on the secret. I have ZERO experience working with electrical soldering.

I thought these would also come in handy

Shaped the brass ring and gave it a test fit

Cut a shallow channel for the 20 ga. wire

That is all the further I got, due to my lack of knowledge with the soldering gun and brass.

Anybody got the skinny on what I need to do to be sure my connections are good and solid, I am all ears!!

duckie_44

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2011
DFW-TX
Peppie......There are a couple of sticky's in the Modding Forum you can look at for soldering help http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/22122-how-solder-video.html and http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/22152-share-your-soldering-tips-here.html

Hope this will help......I was thinking...From your posts that you where having a little trouble getting started....When I realized, since I started making pipes a year ago.....That for ever pipe that I've completed, about three have been junked.... :oops:

I think that is more than likely true with ever modder, we just don't admit to it....:blush:

duckie....

edit: Case in point, here is a pipe I've been working on, off and on for a couple of weeks

e6ypu0.jpg

Not going to look right.....sad....I will be pulling out all parts and stuff....fire wood...:facepalm:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread