Status
Not open for further replies.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
This is from Zen, but I would think it would apply equally well to the ProVari.
DONT put Noalax on the ZNA. that is for aluminum connections ONLY. It will galvanize steel since it has zinc in it, and that is bad for conductivity.

Use "No-Oxide" instead https://www.sourcetelsupply.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=131

Edit: This is secondhand info, from someone who had a conversation with Zen. There is some controversy in the replies. Here's the link to the thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...dna30-battery-level-behavior-anyone-seen.html

Last edited:

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va

Edit: This is secondhand info, from someone who had a conversation with Zen. There is some controversy in the replies. Here's the link to the thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...dna30-battery-level-behavior-anyone-seen.html

It certainly was a controversy. I do believe that the counter argument (that the worries of zinc/cathodic reaction are overblown) is correct. However, I would like to hear ProVape's official position on this matter.

KY_Rob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2013
Kentucky
I'm not sure what to make of this thread...seems nearly a no-win situation, which is why I think ProVape is remaining silent. There's some technicalities at play here that doesn't make certain statements untrue. However, the implications are such that the lay person just ends up confused and PO'd.

I have my own opinion about Noalox and No-Oxide. Truth is, either one, for most any mod, will function exactly the same for many years as long as basic care and maintenance take place.

What I can say for sure, is now I know what products I'll continue to support and which ones I likely never will.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Here's my lowly opinion.

ProVape has been recommending Noalox for a long time. Some of us have owned our devices for a long time, and I have yet to see any reported issue of galvanic pitting taking place in ANY stainless steel mod in the last 4 years.

If such corrosion were taking place, I would think we would definitely hear about it in the same way that the isopropyl flush is now being discouraged.

I think if it were as big a problem as some make it, we'd have heard something by now. Especially considering it's wide spread use.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Here's my lowly opinion.

ProVape has been recommending Noalox for a long time. Some of us have owned our devices for a long time, and I have yet to see any reported issue of galvanic pitting taking place in ANY stainless steel mod in the last 4 years.

If such corrosion were taking place, I would think we would definitely hear about it in the same way that the isopropyl flush is now being discouraged.

I think if it were as big a problem as some make it, we'd have heard something by now. Especially considering it's wide spread use.

That is kinda how I felt, too. I have been using it in all three of my ProVarii. Nothing like what was alleged in that thread has happened to me, either.

Riverboat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Arizona
With the new way we process circuit boards we are no longer recommending customers do the isopropyl flush that was once common for issues on your Provari.
Im going to Sticky this so it can be seen.
Kindly,
ProVape
The last Provari I bought was ordered on 09/17/2013. Is still able to do the isopropyl flush,or is it one of the new processed boards?

Last edited:

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Nope.

From the ProVape troubleshooting website.

Regarding the Isopropyl Flush - We do not recommend doing this for units that were purchased after Dec 2012. With some changes we made to the processing of the circuit boards, flushing them with Isopropyl can cause issues. You should no longer do this step! If you have any questions or problems please contact us and we can advise the best action to take.

I have heard it has to do with the epoxy used to mount the board to the tube. Perhaps the epoxy they used to use was no longer available and the new epoxy being used is not as isopropyl resistant.

Last edited:

Riverboat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Arizona

I checked out the link.. I think his batteries are either real old or improperly charged.. The ZNA showing a 20-30% level then showing low after a few hits.. Then when you let it sit for a few it goes back up to the 1/3 level is not uncommon. Its like when you Provaris light blinks and wont fire, remove the battery and reinsert and it fires again for a short while until it shuts down again due to low battery levels..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread