Cops and vaping??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
On the way back from the vape shop today, noticed a cop going the opposite direction and I wondered if anyone has ever been pulled and questioned about their device?

I wonder how familiar the PD's are with PV's? I can easily see them pulling a vaper and thinking they were smoking something in some type of apparatus.

Ever heard of anything like that? Seems like it COULD happen.

OK, so my mind runs a little weird.:p

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
I'm sure most cops are aware of e-cigs and what they do, although I still don't feel completely comfortable vaping around a cop, especially just out in the open or in a non bar/smoking area setting. Even if they look in my direction like they thought "Heey what was that?" and then go "oh it's an ecig" right after, it still makes me a little nervous. I never vape at night in my car because I don't want to get pulled over for a cop possibly thinking I'm getting high. I will vape near a cop in a bar setting though.

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
I'm sure most cops are aware of e-cigs and what they do, although I still don't feel completely comfortable vaping around a cop, especially just out in the open or in a non bar/smoking area setting. Even if they look in my direction like they thought "Heey what was that?" and then go "oh it's an ecig" right after, it still makes me a little nervous. I never vape at night in my car because I don't want to get pulled over for a cop possibly thinking I'm getting high. I will vape near a cop in a bar setting though.

That's kinda how I felt, a little nervous about it. I realize you can't get in trouble, but it sure could be a hassle.

And the look of a basic Ego is much different from some of the huge, strange looking PV's some people use, ya know? I could see them getting some serious inspections by a cop .8-o

meanckz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Greer, SC
www.facebook.com
On the way back from the Vape Shop today, noticed a cop going the opposite direction and I wondered if anyone has ever been pulled and questioned about their device?

I wonder how familiar the PD's are with PV's? I can easily see them pulling a vaper and thinking they were smoking something in some type of apparatus.

Ever heard of anything like that? Seems like it COULD happen.

OK, so my mind runs a little weird.:p

what are you planning on 'vaping' :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Bkag

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I had to go to the court house a couple weeks ago to file some papers, as with most court houses they had a metal detector and x-ray machine both manned by State Troopers. I put my e-cig in the bin and sent it through the x-ray (I think I had an eVic with me that day) and the Trooper on the x-ray picked it up after it scanned through and looked questionably at me and then to the other Trooper manning the metal detector. The trooper on the metal detector says "That's an e-cigarette, you haven't seen those yet, totally fine, let him through", the funny thing is, the next guy goes through the metal detector, it beeps, he empties his pockets and what set off the metal detector... a Zmax! Anyway, I guess my point is that I think, at least here in Colorado, police are starting to learn about what e-cigs are and how to identify them over other similar looking devices which may be used for other, less wholesome, things.

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
I think using one of the big mods or box mods run a higher risk. So maybe a cop knows what e-cigs are and that you can buy the Blu's in gas stations, but they probably aren't schooled on ALL the different types of PVs out there. The bigger mods and box shaped PVs definitely look more conspicuous. There ARE vaporizers made for actual 'vaping' of 'tobacco' that look similar to those. The cig-alike and ego batteries look more normal so they probably wouldn't garner as many looks. I'm still pretty wary about it and only use my smaller batteries when I'm out and about. Just don't like toting around a huge mod that looks like a bomb detonator or like how my immature friends like to say "my vaping dildo" :facepalm:. And even if you do get pulled over and the cop finds out its just an e-cig and lets you go, it's still a hassle and a waste of time and then you're the ....... who held up traffic.

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
what are you planning on 'vaping' :p

Only my juice! I swear! But being an old hippy, I think of those things. Just seems like it would be a real hassle and time consuming if a cop wanted to be a jerk about it. And we know, there are a few of those around.

Of course, I'd be seriously ...... if this grandma got pulled for her PV!!:mad:

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
I've wondered that myself. PV's aren't as well known around here as they probably are in big cities. I don't let it stop me though. If I get pulled over a quick inspection should reveal it's purpose and it would be a good educational opportunity.

I'm not in the city either and small town cops have way too much time on their hands.;)

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
I think using one of the big mods or box mods run a higher risk. So maybe a cop knows what e-cigs are and that you can buy the Blu's in gas stations, but they probably aren't schooled on ALL the different types of PVs out there. The bigger mods and box shaped PVs definitely look more conspicuous. There ARE vaporizers made for actual 'vaping' of 'tobacco' that look similar to those. The cig-alike and ego batteries look more normal so they probably wouldn't garner as many looks. I'm still pretty wary about it and only use my smaller batteries when I'm out and about. Just don't like toting around a huge mod that looks like a bomb detonator or like how my immature friends like to say "my vaping dildo" :facepalm:. And even if you do get pulled over and the cop finds out its just an e-cig and lets you go, it's still a hassle and a waste of time and then you're the ....... who held up traffic.

Thank you! You're on the same wave length I am. It would really be a hassle! Agreed, that's what I meant about the strange looking mods and such. My Ego w/tank might get a 2nd look, but some of those could have the owners stationary for a while, ya know? Anything that actually looks like an analog wouldn't get noticed at all and the Blu's are very common now, but not the devices that most of us use.

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
I had to go to the court house a couple weeks ago to file some papers, as with most court houses they had a metal detector and x-ray machine both manned by State Troopers. I put my e-cig in the bin and sent it through the x-ray (I think I had an eVic with me that day) and the Trooper on the x-ray picked it up after it scanned through and looked questionably at me and then to the other Trooper manning the metal detector. The trooper on the metal detector says "That's an e-cigarette, you haven't seen those yet, totally fine, let him through", the funny thing is, the next guy goes through the metal detector, it beeps, he empties his pockets and what set off the metal detector... a Zmax! Anyway, I guess my point is that I think, at least here in Colorado, police are starting to learn about what e-cigs are and how to identify them over other similar looking devices which may be used for other, less wholesome, things.

Yeah, but even there, you had one cop that wasn't familiar. Although legalities are difference in Colorado, surely nothing 'odd' wouldn't be brought to the courthouse.:shock::lol:

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Only my juice! I swear! But being an old hippy, I think of those things. Just seems like it would be a real hassle and time consuming if a cop wanted to be a jerk about it. And we know, there are a few of those around.

Of course, I'd be seriously ...... if this grandma got pulled for her PV!!:mad:

<- is an old lady and HAS been pulled over TWICE

TO be fair though both times the officer was very professional and polite. Tested my juice with a little kit they carry around here. Said he'd never seen an ecig like that before (it was my Vamo). Said good luck with quitting cigs and sent me on my way.

Realise this is a very small town and new stuff takes 15 years to get here most of the time. :)

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA

TO be fair though both times the officer was very professional and polite. Tested my juice with a little kit they carry around here. Said he'd never seen an ecig like that before (it was my Vamo). Said good luck with quitting cigs and sent me on my way.

Realise this is a very small town and new stuff takes 15 years to get here most of the time. :)

Wow, that's what I was thinking of. At least they were nice about it. Most of the PD where I live are very nice, had a lot of contact with my last job, but just wondered about other places. I'd hate to be in a hurry to get somewhere and have that happen though.

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
I've never been pulled over for my PV, but I do know that if I were, I would know I'm not doing anything illegal, so I wouldn't really mind. Most of the PD here are also pretty nice, so after testing, I wouldn't mind. Alot of PD smokes here ( or at least 10 years ago.) so I hope they switch. :)

Ya know? Being pulled over might very well help a cop to quit if they're a smoker. :) Could be a good thing.

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL

this is what worries me,,,,,,,

well, worries isn't the word,,,,,I have nothing to be worried ABOUT,,,,,,,,but it might be an issue if I'm trying to get somewhere on time or something,,,,,,,,,a big hairy hassle.

I've been known to lower my PV into my lap if I see a cop,,,,,,,just so I won't have to deal with the hassle.

meanckz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Greer, SC
www.facebook.com

what did he test for? and what did he test with?
those would be my questions....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread