Kanger Protank II Coil rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaperGlock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2013
KCMO
Just did my very first Protank coil rebuild and it went surprisingly well. Used 30ga Vaporwire and cotton wick (yarn). Got 1.3Ohms. Vapes like a champ with pretty decent flavor. I wasn't super careful with my coil wraps and didn't torch it and all that. Did have an issue with it grounding out. Looked it over and discovered one of the wires didn't break off inside the rubber grommet and there was a TINY bit of exposed wire. Next time I'll take more time. This go around was just feeling it out. Quite surprised how easy it was.

Dakota Jim

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
in a warehouse buried near Univille SD
Great job!!!

I use Kanthal A1 30 - 8 wraps on a 3/48 machine screw and then torch (small refillable butane) the heck out of it (after taking it off the screw) and compress it down with some needle nose to make a sort of micro coil that is still big enough to thread a double layer of 2mm silica through, comes out to about 1.9 ohms - 1 layer of 2mm silica flavor wick - vapes great

VaperGlock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2013
KCMO
Great job!!!

I use Kanthal A1 30 - 8 wraps on a 3/48 machine screw and then torch (small refillable butane) the heck out of it (after taking it off the screw) and compress it down with some needle nose to make a sort of micro coil that is still big enough to thread a double layer of 2mm silica through, comes out to about 1.9 ohms - 1 layer of 2mm silica flavor wick - vapes great

Bought a $14 torch but when I went to use it much to my dismay it didn't come pre filled and I didn't have any butane lol But that was pretty much my plan...

VaperGlock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2013
KCMO

DasBluCig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2013
Chichester, NH
Anybody have any ideas why my rebuild might be flooding? Worked pretty good, then it started flooding. Cleaned it out and a few puffs later it was flooded again. Took it apart and everything looks like it's supposed to.

Did you replace the flavor wick(s)? Cotton or silica?
Did you replace the rubber cap that sits atop the wick(s)?
Check the o-ring seals for any foreign matter that might keep them from sealing properly.....
Others may have ideas....that's MY short list, though....Good Luck!
Happy (vaping) Trails!

VaperGlock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2013
KCMO
Did you replace the flavor wick(s)? Cotton or silica?
Did you replace the rubber cap that sits atop the wick(s)?
Check the o-ring seals for any foreign matter that might keep them from sealing properly.....
Others may have ideas....that's MY short list, though....Good Luck!
Happy (vaping) Trails!

Replaced silica flavor wick with cotton. Everything else checks out ok. Going to add some to the flavor wick and see what happens.

VaperGlock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2013
KCMO
Yup... to lean on the fluffy stuff. Put a bit more cotton on in your flavor wick and it will settle right in.

It appears that has solved my problem. I used cotton yarn and split it in 2 for the wick inside the coil and just used the other 1/2 for the flavor wick. Used a full unsplit piece and it's working again!!! Thanks!!!

Last edited:

VaperGlock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2013
KCMO
Redid a coil for the practice. This one ended up being 1.8Ohms. Was able to get more wick (3 strands of the 4 the yarn has) in the coil the 1st one was a little loose. Then I ran the rest of the wick around the bottom of the cup in different directions, so there's wick all the way around the cup. Then 3 strands as a flavor wick. Seems to be working pretty well. I love the tinkering part of vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread