Protank 1 vs 2 vs 3 vs minis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
I have both the Protank II and Mini Protank II. I prefer the Mini Protank II because out of the two in my experience the mini is less likely to flood. The highest percentage of VG I have used in either is 50% so I can't speak to how 100% VG will wick, I doubt it will flood though (lol) because that would be some thick juice. I would rank the Protank I at the bottom because the tank is glued and can't be user replaced in case you break it. Hope that helps, vape on!!!

PS I like both, just give a slight nod to the Mini.

Last edited:

Bubinga

Oct 27, 2013
South jersey
I have two protank 2's and two mini protank 2's and absolutely love them!! I do suggest getting some type of battery that is vv or vw; I currently have smok Sid, kamry kts+(Mechanical) and kamry x6 and the vape produced on those three batteries are amazing. When I was using the ego twist and Kanger evod vv I wasn't getting a nice cloud without a burnt taste. I have begun to start rebuilding the coils with cotton and lower ohms and the result is astonishing! I also use 100% vg and to lowest I go on Vg is 70%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there
I agree with wingsfan, the Mini PTIIs are the best, when I've got the wicks set up right I can vape them down to the last drop without gurgling or flooding. I do use the regular PTII at home for the larger capacity and they look better on larger mods, but I have to refill before the tank is empty to keep them from flooding.

I have a couple of the first design Protank and I really don't like the fixed drip tip, so those will be retired once I get a couple more PTIIs.

I haven't tried a PTIII yet.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
First of all, forget the Protank I (both regular and mini). They are officially discontinued by the manufacturer. Both versions had some issues with the "glue" breaking down and causing leaks.

The Mini Protank 3 is the newest iteration of the protank which uses a dual coil design. This makes the "3" coils incompatible with anything other than the "3". The dual coils are designed primarily for high voltage/wattage vaping and since I'm currently not familiar with everything that entails, I'll leave the "3" to those who have more knowledge in that area.

Now we're down to the Protank 2, Protank 2 Mini (rev 1) and the Protank 2 Mini (Rev 2).

The Protank 2 is going to give you higher volume (3ml vs 1.5ml) and is 510 threaded. It has a removable drip tip so If you don't like the metal drip tip that comes with it, you can use any other 510 drip tip. One complaint from some Protank 2 owners is that you have to keep them topped off. As the liquid level lowers, the pressure on top of the fluid due to the air pocket on top of the tank increases and can cause gurgling or flooding. This may especially be true with high PG mixed juices since PG is thinner than VG. While designed for 510 devices, it does have a "beauty ring" that can be threaded over your Ego Threaded device to make it look "better" on an Ego connector.

The Protank 2 Mini (rev 1) is a static tip mini with 1.5ml volume. It is designed for Ego style batteries. You must have Ego threads on your battery or mod to use this device. Due to it's smaller size, it does not appear to have the gurgling or flooding issues that the Protank 2's have. The low capacity is going to be a turn off to some, especially if you don't like filling. Filling the tank is not difficult, but there is not a lot of room between the center air tube and the side of the tank, so you do need to take care to avoid putting juice down the center air hole.

The Protank Mini 2 (rev 2) is exactly the same as the rev 2 with the addition of a removable drip tip. You can the use any 510 drip tip on this unit. It is more expensive then the rev 1. If you like the Kanger drip tips, then it makes sense to get the rev 1 as it is cheaper and has less parts to worry about.

The primary advantage of all these tanks is the glass tank. While more fragile than plastic tanks they will not crack or melt when filled with "tank buster" style juices. Also many prefer the "pure taste" you get from them as some (myself included) can taste plastic after taste from a plastic tank.

The other advantage of the 2 and 3 is the glueless construction. This makes the unit EXTREMELY easy to turn around. You can disassemble clean and dry everything in minutes. I was sampling some Boba's in one of my mini's and wanted to switch back to apple. It took less than 5 minutes to clean, dry, dry burn and refill with apple.

Dakota Jim

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
in a warehouse buried near Univille SD
Started with 2 protank 1's - broke threads off base of one (dropped on carpet - Vamo)
bought a Protank 2 (was going to just order a base but it was out of stock, everywhere) - gurgles and floods constantly no matter what head and even with 6 2mm flavor wicks (could barely get the stem to go back on)
found someone here with 1 NIB protank 1, 2 slightly used protank 1, and 1 slightly used mini protank 2 (1st version with fixed drip tip) for $7.50 each
found another website with NIB protank 1's on clearance for $10 bought 2 (what was left in stock)
took base from new Protank 2 and put on my original protank 1
Have no desire to throw money at Protank 3 due to coils are not compatible with previous versions

So I guess you could say I prefer the Protank 1

Mark Anthony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2013
Scranton, Pa USA
First of all, forget the Protank I (both regular and mini). They are officially discontinued by the manufacturer. Both versions had some issues with the "glue" breaking down and causing leaks.

The Mini Protank 3 is the newest iteration of the protank which uses a dual coil design. This makes the "3" coils incompatible with anything other than the "3". The dual coils are designed primarily for high voltage/wattage vaping and since I'm currently not familiar with everything that entails, I'll leave the "3" to those who have more knowledge in that area.

Now we're down to the Protank 2, Protank 2 Mini (rev 1) and the Protank 2 Mini (Rev 2).

The Protank 2 is going to give you higher volume (3ml vs 1.5ml) and is 510 threaded. It has a removable drip tip so If you don't like the metal drip tip that comes with it, you can use any other 510 drip tip. One complaint from some Protank 2 owners is that you have to keep them topped off. As the liquid level lowers, the pressure on top of the fluid due to the air pocket on top of the tank increases and can cause gurgling or flooding. This may especially be true with high PG mixed juices since PG is thinner than VG. While designed for 510 devices, it does have a "beauty ring" that can be threaded over your Ego Threaded device to make it look "better" on an Ego connector.

The Protank 2 Mini (rev 1) is a static tip mini with 1.5ml volume. It is designed for Ego style batteries. You must have Ego threads on your battery or mod to use this device. Due to it's smaller size, it does not appear to have the gurgling or flooding issues that the Protank 2's have. The low capacity is going to be a turn off to some, especially if you don't like filling. Filling the tank is not difficult, but there is not a lot of room between the center air tube and the side of the tank, so you do need to take care to avoid putting juice down the center air hole.

The Protank Mini 2 (rev 2) is exactly the same as the rev 2 with the addition of a removable drip tip. You can the use any 510 drip tip on this unit. It is more expensive then the rev 1. If you like the Kanger drip tips, then it makes sense to get the rev 1 as it is cheaper and has less parts to worry about.

The primary advantage of all these tanks is the glass tank. While more fragile than plastic tanks they will not crack or melt when filled with "tank buster" style juices. Also many prefer the "pure taste" you get from them as some (myself included) can taste plastic after taste from a plastic tank.

The other advantage of the 2 and 3 is the glueless construction. This makes the unit EXTREMELY easy to turn around. You can disassemble clean and dry everything in minutes. I was sampling some Boba's in one of my mini's and wanted to switch back to apple. It took less than 5 minutes to clean, dry, dry burn and refill with apple.

Very well stated and I agree with this from start to finish. Love the PT 2's but you must keep them topped off. Also easy to rebuild the heads.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Mini Protank II hands down. I don't mind refilling at all, and it haven't had a single gurgling issue with it. Loved it on my iTaste VV v3. Loved as in past tense. My husband officially stole it. He has been whining and whining about all our other bottom coils tanks gurgling, and he hates the warm vape on the iClear 16’s. I lent him the Mini Protank days ago, and it literally hasn't left his side since. No, really, he carries it on his ego in his pocket. The only time he's takes it off is to switch batteries and to refill. At this point, I believe he'd rather smoke an analog then use any of the other numerous tanks we have in the house. He finally, FINALLY, stopped bumming the occasional cigarette from his mother (his parents live with us due to their health issues. I'm trying to get her to quit too) over equipment issues, which means of course, that I can't take it back. I can make the other tanks work for me. He'll go smoke rather then "fix"something. Anyway, bottom line is, it works, it works well without much maintenance, and I'll never see the thing again. I went and ordered more.

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa
I have a Pro Tank II (v.2) and a Pro Tank Mini. I like them, a lot. I've switched to cartos for all-day vaping, but for keeping a second flavor on the desk, or in the car, they're great. I've had no problems with the Pro II, unlike what others are saying, I can vape it nearly dry and it never gurgles - I get a lot of gurgling on the mini, however. And, I get burned taste a lot faster on the mini, don't know why.

I will say this about them - I love the fit, and finish. They just feel solid. They have a good hand feel, too - all the chrome plating and glass, they just look and feel good. Not a huge fan of the supplied metal tip, but that's easy to fix. I really with Kanger would plate the adapter piece on the mini to chrome, so it matches the rest, but I can live with it.

I'd say they're perfect for beginners - they're consistent (as long as the heads stay clean), they're solid, and perform fairly reliably. Matched with a good mod, you can't go wrong. Your mileage will vary, it's a personal choice issue, but I would feel comfortable recommending one to a newbie, with a few notes for the "gotchas!" associated with them, and explaining head/wick wear and tear. And, when you move up and into other gear, they're good as presents for people you're trying to convert, or as a decent, solid backup.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
I really with Kanger would plate the adapter piece on the mini to chrome, so it matches the rest, but I can live with it.

I love the off color gunmetal ring myself. It breaks up some of monotony of a unit. It also lets you know exactly where you need to unscrew the unit to fill it.

Proof positive you can't please all the people all of the time. Of course there's no right or wrong to this issue. Only preference.

I'm a newbie of just about a month and my first purchase was a PT II and a EVOD clearo. Use them with Winder batteries, and I take the EVOD as my worktime unit and leave the protank II for at home in the evenings. I will be buying a few more EVOD clearos and a MINI PT since everyone is raving about them. You really can't go wrong with any of the Kanger Bottom Coils, I think they are awesome especially for a newbie.

Camden

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2013
Wyoming
Don't care too much for either, but generally speaking I like the pt2 most. The 3 is great, a real step up in vape quality.... if you don't get dud coils in your box, which is a surprisingly high chance. Sadly, Kanger seems to have really, really dropped the ball on quality control for the first ones out the door. That said, the Vapeonly bdcc smokes it imo.

elfy

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2013
Elfland, everywhere, USA
You really can't go wrong with any of the Kanger Bottom Coils, I think they are awesome especially for a newbie.

Im new too, and after a few days of my Minis, I was getting the burnt wet sheepdog taste. I had to learn to rebuild/wick my coils and *that* helps a TON.

Apparently stock Kanger heads are crap. But I do like my minis so I might splurge and get a third. Hell I know how to rebuild em now lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread