Health Canada strikes again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg__B

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ottawa, ON Canada
What has Health Canada done with these stores after sending the letter?

For the most part, absolutely nothing. They continually refer to a press release directing people not to use them as they have not been deemed as safe that they issued in 2009. There has been no further info from them since though. They make the media think that ecigs are illegal in Canada but the simple fact is that that is completely false. This is just the tip of the iceberg of what we are dealing with here in canada as vapers.

Sent from Mars using my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Left a comment:

Perhaps Health Canada should consider changing its name to Anti-Health Canada. Apparently (A)HC is unfamiliar with all of the research showing that the long-term effects of continuing to smoke include lung disease, hear attacks, strokes, and cancer. (A)HC should talk to several of the former smokers who have switched to e-cigarettes instead of smoking and ask about their health. Better yet, ask their doctors about changes in their patients' health since switching. And as far as the nicotine poisoning red herring goes, exactly how many Canadian e-cigarette users have been hospitalized for overdosing on nicotine? I'll bet the number matches the cases of nicotine OD due to using a pharmaceutical nicotine inhaler (i.e. zero.)

Greg__B

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ottawa, ON Canada
There was also a radio interview with the shop owner that airs today on CBC radio in the maritimes. Just listened to the replay podcast. The show is called Maritime Noon that played on CBC Radio 1 in the Maritime provinces this afternoon. It's a very good interview for the most part and was fairly balanced.

Greg__B

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ottawa, ON Canada
Left a comment:

Bingo! Couldn't say it better myself! We vapers here in Canada are dealing with a different kind of fight than you're all dealing with in the states with the FDA, or that's going on in Europe and the UK with the European Union, but make no mistake, we are all in this together! We need to continue to get the word out there and educate people at every opportunity. The current slagging of ecigs in the media is ludicrous we can't stand idle and just hope for the best! I've been listening to Kevin on the VP Live a lot lately, and although I think he's a bit crass, I think he's on the right track with trying to get vendors in the US on board with hiring a PR firm to try to combat the constant barrage of negative press ecigs and vapers are currently being slagged with in the media. We need to fight, but more importantly, WE HAVE TO WIN!

cmknight

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2013
China
Vapers in Nova Scotia need to start getting on their MP's and MLA's Facebook pages, twitter accounts, websites, emails, etc. Bombard your Members of Parliament and Nova Scotia Legislature with the Science and the Facts. Health Canada is spreading lies and Canadians have to stop those lies. Our government has to learn to stop milking the teat of the FDA and ANTZ. Initiate a call to action, now!!

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
For the most part, absolutely nothing. They continually refer to a press release directing people not to use them as they have not been deemed as safe that they issued in 2009. There has been no further info from them since though. They make the media think that ecigs are illegal in Canada but the simple fact is that that is completely false. This is just the tip of the iceberg of what we are dealing with here in canada as vapers.

Am I correct in understanding that the only basis for Health Canada's actions against ecigs is their 2009 press release and that there is no actual law on the books outlawing ecigs?

Greg__B

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ottawa, ON Canada
Am I correct in understanding that the only basis for Health Canada's actions against ecigs is their 2009 press release and that there is no actual law on the books outlawing ecigs?

Yes. That's exactly the case. Everything is based of of laws regarding nicotine for medical use. Despite the fact that what we're using is not a medical device. As long as you don't call it that, it's completely legal.

northhar

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2011
CanTheBan

That is correct, below is a quote from the e-cigarettepolictics.com site on Canada's HC actions..

In practice it appears that sales of the hardware are allowed, zero-nic refills are allowed; and nicotine refills are not prohibited by any law; but HC is bullying vendors to try and prevent nic refills from being sold. It is reported that vendors who refuse to submit to illegal threats cannot be prosecuted, since there is no law applicable. In this climate various difficulties will be experienced, but a prosecution does not seem likely.

The most important is that vendors in Canada must not make health claims..

Notorious C.I.G.

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2013
United States
From the article:
"The concept of vaping is one of concern," said Mohammed Al-hamdani, manager of health initiatives with Lung Association Nova Scotia. "It's a renormalization of smoking behaviour."

The concept? If it's a form that doesn't kill you, what's wrong with normalizing it? Why can't an alternative to smoking that's magnitudes safer be embraced? I think it is just sigma hard wired into their simple brains... almost bigotry at this point really.

loooks like smooooke, it must be baaad
zombies.png

Only these zombies don't want our brains, that want or vapes... too bad, they could use some brains :p

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
From the article:
"The concept of vaping is one of concern," said Mohammed Al-hamdani, manager of health initiatives with Lung Association Nova Scotia. "It's a renormalization of smoking behaviour."

The concept? If it's a form that doesn't kill you, what's wrong with normalizing it? Why can't an alternative to smoking that's magnitudes safer be embraced? I think it is just sigma hard wired into their simple brains... almost bigotry at this point really.

loooks like smooooke, it must be baaad
zombies.png

Only these zombies don't want our brains, that want or vapes... too bad, they could use some brains :p

Apparently Mr. Al-hamdani believes the majority of people are stupid enough not to be able to distinguish between vaping and smoking, or between an ecig and a lit tobacco cigarette. Yessiree, I can see that my ecig (day-glo orange eGo, ProTank mini, red agate drip tip) could be mistaken for a Marlboro red... and my peach-flavored vapor for cigarette smoke... yessiree :facepalm:

Vaping does not "renormalize" smoking, it "normalizes" vaping!

Camay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Birmingham, AL
Dave_in_OK: The answer is no. Health Canada is Canadian federal agency. Here, you cannot sue a federal government agency - they are protected by the government immunity doctrine (I am sure Canada has established this doctrine as well). What cmknight is suggesting would be the more appropriate way to handle the situation. It is the exact same procedure that we do here in the states when a tainted law requires an amendment, i.e., we call and write our congressmen to change or alter existing/proposed legislation.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
In the U.S., you can sue a Federal Agency, but cannot collect damages from them. For example, when the FDA issued an order to Customs officials to confiscate shipments of e-cigarettes coming in from China, Smoking Everywhere filed suit in the U.S. District of Columbia, seeking an injunction against the seizures. They had to prove that their business was being harmed and that the seizures were unwarranted to get the injunction, but could not get back all the monies that were lost. Soterra, Inc (d/b/a NJOY) joined in the suit. Many months later, the injunction was granted but then was lifted almost immediately when the FDA appealed the decision. When the appeals court upheld the lower court ruling (re-granting the injunction against product seizures), NJOY was the only plaintiff left because Smoking Everywhere had gone bankrupt.

BTW: The ANTZ like to claim that the Federal courts ordered the FDA to regulate e-cigarettes as tobacco products. However, it is more accurate to say that this was a suggestion. Judge Leon noted that the FDA had presented no evidence that anyone had been harmed by the product. Nevertheless, if the Agency was concerned about product safety, it had an avenue other than regulating the products as drugs/devices under the Food, Drug, and Cosmetics Act (FDCA). Since the definition of "tobacco product" was so broad that it included any product "derived from" tobacco, the Agency could regulate them as a "modified risk tobacco products" (MRTP) under the Tobacco Act. Little did the judge know that when the ANTZ were done with it, the "Guidance" for approval as an MRTP would be every bit as onerous as the regulations for gaining approval for a new drug or device under the FDCA. You can read the Judge's opinion document and see if you agree with my assessment. http://www.casaa.org/uploads/SE-vs-FDA-Opinion.pdf

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA
In the U.S., you can sue a Federal Agency, but cannot collect damages from them. For example, when the FDA issued an order to Customs officials to confiscate shipments of e-cigarettes coming in from China, Smoking Everywhere filed suit in the U.S. District of Columbia, seeking an injunction against the seizures. They had to prove that their business was being harmed and that the seizures were unwarranted to get the injunction, but could not get back all the monies that were lost. Soterra, Inc (d/b/a NJOY) joined in the suit. Many months later, the injunction was granted but then was lifted almost immediately when the FDA appealed the decision. When the appeals court upheld the lower court ruling (re-granting the injunction against product seizures), NJOY was the only plaintiff left because Smoking Everywhere had gone bankrupt.

BTW: The ANTZ like to claim that the Federal courts ordered the FDA to regulate e-cigarettes as tobacco products. However, it is more accurate to say that this was a suggestion. Judge Leon noted that the FDA had presented no evidence that anyone had been harmed by the product. Nevertheless, if the Agency was concerned about product safety, it had an avenue other than regulating the products as drugs/devices under the Food, Drug, and Cosmetics Act (FDCA). Since the definition of "tobacco product" was so broad that it included any product "derived from" tobacco, the Agency could regulate them as a "modified risk tobacco products" (MRTP) under the Tobacco Act. Little did the judge know that when the ANTZ were done with it, the "Guidance" for approval as an MRTP would be every bit as onerous as the regulations for gaining approval for a new drug or device under the FDCA. You can read the Judge's opinion document and see if you agree with my assessment. http://www.casaa.org/uploads/SE-vs-FDA-Opinion.pdf

This, the government can spend unlimited amounts of our tax money to fight something like this without penalty and bankrupt those who would challenge them. See seat belt and alcohol laws and what they threatened the States with if they didn't tow the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread