First mech mod and dripper

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlavorCloudJunkie

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2013
SC
I want to try a mech mod with a dripper and a friend of mine said to get the astro mech mod and a trident dripper from fast tech. Is that a good choice? I dont know if I will like the bottom or pinky button though.. Any suggestions for a regular or side button? Obviously Im still kinda new to this but she is going to teach me how to build coils and wick. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
yea that should be a decent combo, on FT the astro is getting pretty good reviews.
and the trident set up right will cloud out the room lol.

so far there's not too many side button clones with the same efficiency of the bottom button clones. even though bottom button takes some getting used to it is usually more powerful and you can the battery to run longer.

have fun and let us know how it goes.

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto
yea that should be a decent combo, on FT the astro is getting pretty good reviews.

so far there's not too many side button clones with the same efficiency of the bottom button clones. even though bottom button takes some getting used to it is usually more powerful and you can the battery to run longer.

Greetings; Why would a side button mod tend to be less powerful, is it something to do w/ greater voltage drop?

VapinLisa, good luck w/ your astro. I got my first mech mod a week ago, and it's all I use now.

Regards
Glenn

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Greetings; Why would a side button mod tend to be less powerful, is it something to do w/ greater voltage drop?

VapinLisa, good luck w/ your astro. I got my first mech mod a week ago, and it's all I use now.

Regards
Glenn

it has more to do with the quality of the design then just being a side button
on a couple of cheaper ones i have seen there is so many "parts" in the circuit path with very little contact area. and all of this reduces overall efficiency. if they just actually made the side button clones a little better they would work fine.

to give you an example in the poldiac head there are very thick lugs, one touches the battery + and the other is the 510, when you press the button your pressing a silver rod against these two lugs completing the circuit the whole rod is like 8 mm long.

whereas in the smoketech natural the neg touches a long steel pin, when you press the button another small steel pin in the back of the button presses on this rod, then the current has to travel out the small area of the button itself where it touches the body. so many smaller contact points are all going to add resistance to the curcuit.

in a bottom button mod you press it and a thick screw touches the battery and the current then goes straight into the mod through the threads which is a lot of surface area.. really hard to screw up this circuit cheap mod or not unless something is really messed up or designed way off.

Last edited:

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto
it has more to do with the quality of the design then just being a side button
on a couple of cheaper ones i have seen there is so many "parts" in the circuit path with very little contact area. and all of this reduces overall efficiency. if they just actually made the side button clones a little better they would work fine....

Greetings Thrasher; Thanks for the reply...so maybe this is not such an issue when it comes to high end mech mods?

I'm thinking about getting myself a decent mech mod for Christmas, and I really like some of the side button designs.

Regards
Glenn

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
I used to have the same concern with the button until I got mine (fasttech nemesis) now I love those buttons!
it is easier than a side button as you don't have to find it by turning your device around each time you pick it up.

I don't have a trident but by the reviews it's supposed to be a really good RDA
I have IGOs W and L a nimbus and a immortalizer and all work really good as long as you do your coils right

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
I started dripping on a zmax v3 it was the best so far compared to evods and clearomizers in general but it does have it's limits...
on the other hand mechs are cheaper (clones) sturdier and will last much more and also they don't have these limits and can give you a much more intense experience, but you need to know the safety issues before

Thanks for the input on the bottom vs. side button efficency. I have a sigelei 13 I think that was a gift and aga-t2 genesis tank that I want to use as my first mech build. any advice?

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
I started dripping on a zmax v3 it was the best so far compared to evods and clearomizers in general but it does have it's limits...
on the other hand mechs are cheaper (clones) sturdier and will last much more and also they don't have these limits and can give you a much more intense experience, but you need to know the safety issues before

Yeah those stupid safety limits are not something someone who has never built a coil should even care about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread