• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Ladies who rebuild....

Status
Not open for further replies.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Hi Sweetab, nice to meet you.

I don't rebuild, but have watched a couple of people do it. Some people make it look simple, others make it look very complex. :laugh: I'd need to learn in person, but many have learned by watching youtube videos. I'd assume that it will take some time and trial and error at first. Make sure you have a good multimeter. ;)

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I rebuild, and I started early on. The videos on YT were very helpful as were these forums. I got into it after starting out with a miserable little flea market e-cig, then getting EGO/clearo rigs, then a Protank, then a mech, then my first RBA. This took about six weeks. Once I had an RBA and could rebuild it well I was finally happy with my vape.

I started with an AGA-T2, which was a good teacher. It's a cantankerous device and can be frustrating to deal with, but I got it running right, learned to make wicks, wind coils, check ohms, and use the right batteries. Then I got an RSST. Wow! It was a breeze to set up and gave me better flavor than the AGA-T2. It's my primary vape now. I also got into making my own juices, and by all accounts I'm doing very well with that.

I've not yet met another woman who rebuilds here where I'm at, or one who uses a mech either. We seem to be very much in the minority.

Below is a six week progression of hardware I went through:

Last edited:

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
I have several mech mods Vaslovik, a couple of Reos and a Zenesis. I got them way before rebuilding was an option- i just wanted to make sure i had nice sturdy APVs. But there're enough tanks and such that work for me without rebuilding that i never found the need to spend the time leaning to rebuild.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I have several mech mods Vaslovik, a couple of Reos and a Zenesis. I got them way before rebuilding was an option- i just wanted to make sure i had nice sturdy APVs. But there're enough tanks and such that work for me without rebuilding that i never found the need to spend the time leaning to rebuild.

I ended up rebuilding in pursuit of the satisfying vape and I'm happy with that. If you are happy with your vape as it is there's really no reason for you to get into rebuilding. I have found that most people just don't want to bother with all that and it holds no attraction for them as they are quite happy with their carto-tank or whatever they have. My guy is still happy with his cig-alike months after I got it for him. Whatever fills the bill for you is the way to go. If you have a satisfying vape stick with it.

Rhody

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2010
Rhode Island
Once I started rebuilding, that's all I do now. I have a couple of Reo's, Protank 2's, Nautilus, Euphoria just to mention a few. I only buy atomizers that I can rebuild. 28g and 30g Kanthal micro coil with cotton wick is just awesome.
I love to tinker, and rebuilding is really not hard at all, plus for me, it saves me money. I think Protanks are pretty easy to build, Nautilus and Euphoria are a little more difficult because of the Resistance and non resistant wires, but certainly not impossible, just need a little more patience. Haven't tried the Sophia yet, but I'm sure at some point I will.
It's definitely nothing to be afraid of, as long as you have the right tools and supplies and you watch some how to videos, it opens up a whole new world of vaping.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Rhody makes a good point, that of money saved. I found that once I was rebuilding and doing it well there wasn't much I really needed from the vape stores. Once I started making my own juices and had a couple hundred feet of 28 kanthal and a couple square yards of 400 mesh there was really nothing I needed from the vape stores.

I don't have to buy Protank coil heads anymore, CE coils, or even juice. In fact, I buy stuff I don't really need at the vape stores just to hang out with the very cool people who work there and talk vape with them.

zero7starz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 10, 2009
    After two bad experiences in a row buying clearos, and several failed carto tanks right off the get go, I more or less started on rebuildables.

It can be pull your hair our frustrating at times, but sooo worth it at the end. You will not have a more reliable tank, after some practice.

Making a ss mesh wick is harder than making a coil. If you're ok with vaping silica or cotton, go with that. Coiling silica is pretty easy. I've never done cotton. But there is some art into making a ss mesh wick, maybe try that after some practice.

Get the RSST. It is very easy to set up. Mostly because it's center pin has a spring / washer catch for the legs of the coil wire. So when you go to attach it, you just slide it in there. On the AGA-T2, it uses thumb screws, which aren't as easy to get a great connection. The other nice thing about the RSST is it's tank covers the floor of the tank, covering the metal. That's a nice luxury if you ever DO a ss mesh wick because it prevents you from ever creating a short from the wick touching the bottom of the metal tank.

If I was starting all over again, I'd say they're great but have another vape ready to go while you're working on building it. I didn't for a long time. Bad idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rabernet

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 20, 2011
    Buford, GA
    Which atty do you use on the reos Rhody?

(mine are mini reos and most of the RBAs aren't compatible. sigh)

Hi Ladies! I'm a lady too! I use the RM2 on both of my mini's. Just got the Provari off the classies and just ordered a Kayfun Lite clone for it, which will end up making all my gear also rebuildables.

I got into them chasing taste. I also want to try the Sophia. Not a cloud chaser, just a taste chaser. :)

Sent from my Samsung Note II using Tapatalk 2

bortonia

Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2013
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    I just tried my first build tonight actually (on the RSST). I found it much easier than I'd expected though I did short my first coil by not checking my battery was drained and/or pulsing too long!

I only managed a couple but already think it's something I'll enjoy. Which is good, because I have a DID waiting and a kayfun on the way! I wanted to try a cheaper RBA for my first attempts. I will likely have tons of questions in the coming weeks as I learn ;)

Sweetab

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 17, 2013
    Portland, OR
    I rebuild, and I started early on. The videos on YT were very helpful as were these forums. I got into it after starting out with a miserable little flea market e-cig, then getting EGO/clearo rigs, then a Protank, then a mech, then my first RBA. This took about six weeks. Once I had an RBA and could rebuild it well I was finally happy with my vape.

I started with an AGA-T2, which was a good teacher. It's a cantankerous device and can be frustrating to deal with, but I got it running right, learned to make wicks, wind coils, check ohms, and use the right batteries. Then I got an RSST. Wow! It was a breeze to set up and gave me better flavor than the AGA-T2. It's my primary vape now. I also got into making my own juices, and by all accounts I'm doing very well with that.

I've not yet met another woman who rebuilds here where I'm at, or one who uses a mech either. We seem to be very much in the minority.

Below is a six week progression of hardware I went through:

Inspiring story. I like the pic of the progression of devices!

rabernet

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 20, 2011
    Buford, GA
    Classy, I was thinking that Rob's RBA's didn't fit the minis without modification. But perhaps that's just my excuse for being lazy :laugh:

Nice to meet you Zero7starz, Rabernet and Bortornia. Sweetab, I'm inspired too. not quite enough to actually get into yet- but almost. ;)

Just tell Rob what you're putting it on, and he'll mill it to fit (for no extra charge) before he sends it out. :)

And please call me Robin!

vsummer1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 3, 2012
    California
    I started rebuilding RBA's with mesh on an AGA-T. If you can get one of those up and running with mesh, the rest are easy :lol:

I am self taught, from reading on here and watching videos. I had never seen one before I bought one online, no one I know even vaped before I did and there is no one around me I know who uses them except DH, and I do his coiling :facepalm:

I use various REO's with the RDA's now. Fantastic set ups! I use both A7s and the RM2 which is the one Rob makes. Just PM him and tell him what you are putting it on and he will bill you for the correct one. The new REO mini 2's will fit a standard without milling, but if yours is older it may need milling so be sure to let him know if yours has the new well or the old well.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread