Taking Your Coil to the Next Level!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radlyr Whaledzoo

Apr 26, 2013
Harrisburg, PA
I've been vaping for just over a year now and, like most, chasing that "perfect vape". The perfect vape for me is a nice dense cloud (only after a few second drag) and packed with the flavor from the e-liquid. For the past several months I've been using an IGO-L with a pretty basic setup: a few wraps of 30 gauge kanthal around some doubled up silica wick. This gave me around a 1.2 - 1.5 ohm coil that I could enjoy on both a mech and variable mod. This configuration worked well and I truly enjoyed the performance (although it seemed as if I was rebuilding the coil every other night for no apparent reason).

A few nights ago I came across a YouTube video (RiP Trippers) that showed off a new coil on the block: The Diamond Coil! I was so intrigued with this setup that I just had to give it a try. After a few failed attempts trying to use my standard 30 gauge kanthal, I decided to try out the 26 gauge that I picked up accidentally. After following the how-to in the video I quickly built one for myself. Ending up with a 1.2 ohm coil.

I have to take a moment here to take a puff...

Wow.

This coil is amazing. I take that back. This coil is AMAZING! I've never tasted my e-liquids like this before. All of the flavors are so pronounced and fresh tasting. Vapor production is equally as impressive. Incredibly dense fog.

One of the best things is that once you have a solid coil in place you can just rewick it using cotton. Yes, I've jumped head first on the cotton train. Toot toot!

I am so grateful to the vaping community and for all that they share. I've enjoyed this so much that I share my experience with this setup and how AMAZING it truly is.

I haven't seen a post here on this particular topic, but I have a feeling that it will be a very popular discussion once people give them a try.

I probably still have a little tinkering to do, but my first attempt was pure bliss.

I hope more people give this a try and post their reaction.

Happy Vaping!

Diamond Coil.jpg Diamond Coil Fired.jpg

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Interesting, but you can do that with a Dragon Nano coil setup also. I have had me first coil going strong for 2 weeks. just now preparing to replace the cotton to change flavors.:)

ETA: watched the video. Impressive, but I don't have a device that is going to produce 20w at 1.8ohms.

Last edited:

Radlyr Whaledzoo

Apr 26, 2013
Harrisburg, PA
Interesting, but you can do that with a Dragon Nano coil setup also. I have had me first coil going strong for 2 weeks. just now preparing to replace the cotton to change flavors.:)

Yes, I saw RiPs video on the Dragon Nano too, but it seemed like a bit of poking and tweaking the wicking material. This seemed to be straight forward just a bit easier to set up. I'll probably try the DN one of these cold, indoor winter days and see how it compares. Nevertheless, I'm sure I wont' be going back to a straight coil ever again!

Radlyr Whaledzoo

Apr 26, 2013
Harrisburg, PA

ETA: watched the video. Impressive, but I don't have a device that is going to produce 20w at 1.8ohms.

Yeah, forget about that 20 Watt nonsense. I'm not in that arena yet, nor do I see the need. I've got a 1.2 ohm coil going (using 26 GA kanthal) on a mech mod and it's fantastic! Try it!

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Tempted to build one on one of my IGO-L's now just to see what I can pull out of it. No way I'm disturbing the Trident until it absolutely needs it.
Smallest wire I have right now is 28ga, so Nano size may be the only way to get the Ohms down. Thinking.........
Or I could put it on a chipped Mech at 12w........Hmmmm

riseabovethestorm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
Grayling, MI, USA
www.kalkaskamma.com
+1.............

It's just a DNA 20 box with an internal chargeable battery (I say "just" in the respect that there are other, similarly priced DNA 20 mods on the market, a lot of them box mods because of the form factor required to fit a DNA 20, although they do make tubes.)

Jawden

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Hilo, HI
seen the video the other night. or was it last night? hmmm....between this forum and youtube, i lose track of my days. hahaha!

but seemed interesting. waiting for my wire to get here from kidney puncher. i ordered on the second and its still in AZ....:glare: same thing with my 100ft spool of 28g from amazon for $5! hahaha.
(the one and only B&M here only carries 32g and thats nowhere near my personal preference.)

you say youre running it on a mech mod tho, how long of a drag are you taking? specs of your atty? hows the warmth of the vape?

Last edited:
seen the video the other night. or was it last night? hmmm....between this forum and youtube, i lose track of my days. hahaha!

but seemed interesting. waiting for my wire to get here from kidney puncher. i ordered on the second and its still in AZ....:glare: same thing with my 100ft spool of 28g from amazon for $5! hahaha.
(the one and only B&M here only carries 32g and thats nowhere near my personal preference.)

you say youre running it on a mech mod tho, how long of a drag are you taking? specs of your atty? hows the warmth of the vape?

Just put this on my Vamo again to check the ohmage. It's moved up to 1.3 (again, using 26 GA kanthal with 5 wraps for each micro coil). Using an IGO-L with the air hole drilled out a bit so I can quench the coil with airflow. When I have it on my mech mod, it fires up almost immediately. I only need to take a 2-3 second drag to get a satisfying vape.

The beauty of this thing is if if put it on the Vamo and crank it up 13 W this thing goes in to "Hulk Mode". It's actually too much vape for me at once. I prefer to enjoy the vape and take a few drags and not overdose on a single hit.

The warmth of the vape when it's on the mech is perfect. Light warm. When it's on the Vamo it's twice as warm, but not hot.

I've been doing direct lung hits this morning and it's been fantastic.

devauto

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
NoVA
The Fazed Box Mod?

Too bad they went out of business.

Yeah, I was FINALLY ready to pull the trigger and order one, but by the time I got there they had closed ... Had to settle for the VTR and Legend instead ... In the end it was a good thing for me, got 2 mods and saved some cash for Christmas presents. But still ... sad they went out of business ... :(

I hope that someday they will reopen the doors ...

Jawden

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Hilo, HI
Just put this on my Vamo again to check the ohmage. It's moved up to 1.3 (again, using 26 GA kanthal with 5 wraps for each micro coil). Using an IGO-L with the air hole drilled out a bit so I can quench the coil with airflow. When I have it on my mech mod, it fires up almost immediately. I only need to take a 2-3 second drag to get a satisfying vape.

The beauty of this thing is if if put it on the Vamo and crank it up 13 W this thing goes in to "Hulk Mode". It's actually too much vape for me at once. I prefer to enjoy the vape and take a few drags and not overdose on a single hit.

The warmth of the vape when it's on the mech is perfect. Light warm. When it's on the Vamo it's twice as warm, but not hot.

I've been doing direct lung hits this morning and it's been fantastic.

alright, i think you've convinced me. haha. i might have to try this. hopefully ATLEAST ONE of my orders of wire comes in today...

did it take you one try to get a good coil?

alright, i think you've convinced me. haha. i might have to try this. hopefully ATLEAST ONE of my orders of wire comes in today...

did it take you one try to get a good coil?

I originally tried this with 30 GA kanthal, but it was a little too delicate to work with and it warped on me pretty quick and had to scrap it. Using 26 GA made a huge difference and formed it on the first try.

Good luck, I'm hoping you have the same result as I did!

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Was lookin' at that this morning. It actually looks easier than a lot of builds that I've tried.

Only problem is that right now all my stuff has pretty good builds in them :lol:

My problem exactly!
I have the coil built, 4x 4 warp 28ga. But the recipient is my IGO-L that is currently delivering a fantastic Strawberry Waffle Vape. I just can't rip it apart..............yet.:)

My problem exactly!
I have the coil built, 4x 4 warp 28ga. But the recipient is my IGO-L that is currently delivering a fantastic Strawberry Waffle Vape. I just can't rip it apart..............yet.:)

Rip it out! What you're vaping now... plain strawberry waffles.jpg

What you could be vaping on now with the diamond coil... delicious strawberry waffles.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread