So the judging begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've started vaping this week ad I'm honestly surprised by how much other people judge me when I talk about it or when they see me vaping, especially ex-smokers. I have to admit though, I have the feeling that most of them are not really judging but are more angry/frustrated that they didn't have access to this wonderful thing when they quit smoking.

I don't mind giving them information about e-cig/PV's, but I'm under the impression these infos aren't well received (about half of the time). Does this situation ever happen to you?

JayEatsAirplane

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Never had anyone actually say anything about it, just the weird looks while waiting for the train or walking down the street.

Closest I had was a guy ask me to blow my vapor in the other direction while on the platform.. outdoors.. with the wind blowing in his direction. Apparently he was allergic to secondhand berry and thought that not only did I force him to stand next to me, but that I could control the direction of the wind. :vapor:

Lana79

Dec 4, 2012
Serbia
There is a terrible cartoon on Youtube, showing an e-cig battery exploding. Whenever I mention my switching to a current or ex smoker, I receive that link, along with the comment about good plastic surgeons, etc. So the other day, I recorded explosion sound on my cell phone and made a little show for a friend ;)

Let them whine - nothing to it...

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
That's pretty much what I do. I can't do much beyond giving them info. I'm simply not used to these kinds of reactions.

All you can do is get used to it.

I lost my best friend (who quit years ago w/ the patch) because she refused to see vaping as anything more than a quit-nicotine aid and eventually told me she didn't see why I should be using anything beyond a cigalike, thought my participation in this forum was "shallow," did not want to try to understand anything about vaping, and would appreciate it if I didn't discuss my vaping with her. :facepalm:

LDS714

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Nashville, TN, USA
There is a terrible cartoon on Youtube, showing an e-cig battery exploding. Whenever I mention my switching to a current or ex smoker, I receive that link, along with the comment about good plastic surgeons, etc. So the other day, I recorded explosion sound on my cell phone and made a little show for a friend ;)

Thankfully your cell phone didn't explode while you were doing that. They can, you know, I saw it on the internet...

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Most of what I get is genuine curiosity. And a few "did you get that out of your neighbor's nightstand" comments, which don't bother me in the least.

If they're misinformed, I will try to give them the opposing viewpoint - politely and briefly. Listening is their responsibility.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas

Send them this one back:

There are plenty more out there as well, along with some pretty graphic injuries.

jclay1192

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2013
California
I've started vaping this week ad I'm honestly surprised by how much other people judge me when I talk about it or when they see me vaping, especially ex-smokers. I have to admit though, I have the feeling that most of them are not really judging but are more angry/frustrated that they didn't have access to this wonderful thing when they quit smoking.

I don't mind giving them information about e-cig/PV's, but I'm under the impression these infos aren't well received (about half of the time). Does this situation ever happen to you?

from everyone.. even vapers who are new and "know their stuff" how their kanger coil tanks dont even have wicks.. and just.. a lot of nonsense about the vapor

Amraann

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
Florida

In some part it is human nature to judge others..

I live by this simple rule.... I have to actually respect someone's informed opinion before I give a rat's .... about what they think of me or my life choices.

VapnWitch

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2013
VA, USA
Oh yeah. I've had the "never smoked" crowd, and ex-smokers give me dirty looks, tell me that I didn't REALLY quit smoking because I'm still using nicotine, and just being a jerk all around about it. It annoyed me the first couple of times it happened, but now I just ignore it. My smoker friends/acquaintences have had mixed reactions. A couple thought I was nuts and probably actually doing something illegal, but for the most part they've been supportive or at least just curious and neutral about it.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Luckily I live far enough out in the stix that most everybody that sees me vaping is the deer and rabbits. The deer were a bit put off by the button light at night but got over it in a day or two. I did get one foul look for some lady in the city. It was so nasty I busted up laughing, just couldn’t help it. Other than that I just ignore people, don’t need their approval, but if someone asks, I’m happy to explain it.

Never had anyone actually say anything about it, just the weird looks while waiting for the train or walking down the street.

Closest I had was a guy ask me to blow my vapor in the other direction while on the platform.. outdoors.. with the wind blowing in his direction. Apparently he was allergic to secondhand berry and thought that not only did I force him to stand next to me, but that I could control the direction of the wind. :vapor:

Eek, since you brought it up… I don't know how crowded the platform was but I do have a severe allergy to one food, it will kill me. I have run into all those twerps that think they can sidle up to you in the middle of an empty football field and then tell you to move because what you are doing annoys them. They can kiss my ..... However, if I had been in your place, I would have apologized and moved. If I had been the other person, I would have moved and said nothing.

Severe allergies are a PITA and you don’t expect to have to deal with them walking down the street, sitting on a plane or in a movie theater. I just found out the hard way that someone vaping certain juices can be fatal to me if I’m down wind. I don’t want to have the allergy any more than I want to tell someone else to please stop vaping. I’m not trying to bash you over the head, just explain what it’s like on the receiving end. This person may well not even have an allergy--so many people use allergies as a convenient excuse to be rude and/or get their way--and was just being a jerk. I’m just waiting for the headline screaming about some person that went into anaphylaxis shock because of a vaper. It is coming and it’s really going to us a lot of harm unfortunately.

TheSystemHasFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Valhalla

Boohoohahahahah, this is awesomely written and highly comical man, love it!

As to OP's dilemma, people are just jealous that they haven't thought of it first, or are so dumb and blind, they still think it's a gimmick.

Vape on!

cocacola31173

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
United States
When I started my family was getting sick of me cause all I was concentrating on was researching every little thing I could find about Vaping. I lived on here and was constantly on Youtube. Now that I have a pretty good knowledge Im not as obsessed about research as much.

But Im lucky cause my hubby never complains about what I get..he's just glad I don't smoke anymore!

JayEatsAirplane

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Eek, since you brought it up… I don't know how crowded the platform was but I do have a severe allergy to one food, it will kill me. I have run into all those twerps that think they can sidle up to you in the middle of an empty football field and then tell you to move because what you are doing annoys them. They can kiss my ..... However, if I had been in your place, I would have apologized and moved. If I had been the other person, I would have moved and said nothing.

Severe allergies are a PITA and you don’t expect to have to deal with them walking down the street, sitting on a plane or in a movie theater. I just found out the hard way that someone vaping certain juices can be fatal to me if I’m down wind. I don’t want to have the allergy any more than I want to tell someone else to please stop vaping. I’m not trying to bash you over the head, just explain what it’s like on the receiving end. This person may well not even have an allergy--so many people use allergies as a convenient excuse to be rude and/or get their way--and was just being a jerk. I’m just waiting for the headline screaming about some person that went into anaphylaxis shock because of a vaper. It is coming and it’s really going to us a lot of harm unfortunately.

I was just joking about the allergy part. All he said was to blow my vapor the other way. If he seriously was allergic and told me he was, then I would've apologized and gone elsewhere.

However, this was an outdoor platform, at least 30 feet from the actual station, with several hundred feet of space where he could have stood and few other people around, but he chose to walk up right next to me, stand there for a minute and then tell me to not do what i had been doing for the 5 minutes prior to him showing up. Just thought I should clear that info up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread