Disappointed with Vision Nano, low vapour & harsh - did I get a dud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nada Nix

Dec 8, 2013
Germany
Picked up a Vision Nano yesterday, for my joyetech 510T. At first there was a bad plastic taste, but that's gone now. I've gone through nearly a whole tankful of FlavourArt 50PG/40VG.

The problem is, compared to the stock 510T, it gives noticeably less vapour, and is quite harsh - enough to make me cough. It's not exactly a burnt taste, but maybe getting close. I let it soak overnight, but no change. Disappointing, because I'd read a lot of good comments about it.

Hard to say, but it seems like maybe it's just not getting enough liquid throughput to the coil? It's 1.8 ohms (I tested it), so I guess it also burns a bit hotter than the stock one. The stock one sort of crackles a bit while drawing, but this one gives more like one or two louder pop sounds near the end.

Did I maybe just get a bad one? Not sure what to expect. Shouldn't it be an improvement over the stock 510T? People talked about "lots of vapour", etc... I guess it's cheap enough I could try another one, but hate to throw good money after bad...

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia
Although I can’t be sure exactly what problem you have, it sounds like you may have burned the filler material around the coil the first time you used it.

Inside the coil chamber, a Nano has filler material that wicks your juice to the coil. If that filler is not completely saturated with juice before you fire the coil the first time, it will burn. Once the filler is burned, you’ll probably never completely get rid of the bad taste.

After filling a Nano for the first time, put your finger over the battery end and take several long hard draws. This helps suck juice into the filler material. Then let the Nano soak for a while before using it the first time.

I don’t really like the design of the Nano. For a cig-a-like size clearomizer, I like the Kanger T4 better, and I’ve heard the E-Smart is pretty good too.

J.R.

Nada Nix

Dec 8, 2013
Germany
Izan, can you tell me what disappointed you? It would be great to get some feedback from other people who've used the Nano, about what I should expect compared to the stock 510T - more/less vapour, change in throat hit, difference in power level? I'm trying to figure out if I just got a bad one, or if they're always this way... because otherwise I like it, easy to fill, looks ok, no problem with leaking so far, less than half the price of the Joyetech atty, etc.

I looked at the Kanger T4/Esmart, but I thought I wanted a bottom coil, I read they have a very "airy" draw, and also I find them kind of ugly - and none of my usual suppliers here carry them. But maybe I'll try to get one for comparison.

WorksForMe, hm, it's not a burnt flavour like the filler got burned. Mainly it's a very harsh throat hit, although the vape seems rather thin compared to the stock 510T atty. I think I'm maybe a bit sensitive to PG, I find the throat hit of the e-cigarette much stronger than an analog; with the stock 510T it's tolerable, but with the Nano, it's not - I literally cough and choke on it. From what I've read here, the more power (higher voltage and/or lower ohms), the stronger the throat hit - is that right? And, if you get too much power, it will start to be harsh, like the liquid itself is starting to burn? I'm kind of a newbie, so I'm never really sure what to expect... but it seems like it could be a combination of the lower ohms, plus a problem with not enough liquid wicking in, that's causing it to be thin and harsh. Just trying to figure out if this is normal for the Nano, or if I should try another one...

Last edited:

Nada Nix

Dec 8, 2013
Germany
Traver, I don't know. The vision website says it's designed "for the 510 electronic cigarette", and lots of people have said it works well with the 510 stick batteries. Certainly the battery charge won't last as long. But the batteries are 3.3V regulated, same as the regular Ego batteries, so there shouldn't be much of a difference while they're running. I don't think 3.3V is too high for the Nano, and I don't think mine is behaving as though the voltage is too low. But this is all kind of theoretical for me, I don't have much actual experience.

Anyway, would be good to hear from people who've used both the stock 510T and the Nano on the same 510 stick battery, so I can get an idea of how I should expect them to behave, compared to each other. For example, if the Nano normally gives noticeably more vapour than the stock 510T, then there's something wrong with my Nano...

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
I don't think the low ohm carto explains your problem either. The harshness usually comes from lack of wicking or too high a voltatage for the coil. There is nothing unusual about getting a bad carto of any type. My advice is just get another and come back to it later when you know how it should taste.

The 1.8ohm coil is still a concern to me and here's why;
The problem is not to low a voltage. When they say it works with 510 batteries that does not mean it will work with any 510 battery. Every lithium battery has a minimum safe discharge rate set by the manufacturer. If you exceed that rate you can dramatically shorten the life of the battery. Another possibility is that some of the cells in the battery get damaged and that can lead to a violent venting situation.
This is a regulated battery and it should shut down if it's limits are exceeded. With a 1.8 ohm coil I would have expected the circuit inside to shut it down.

Hopefully someone who knows this battery better will add something.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Picked up a Vision Nano yesterday, for my Joyetech 510T. At first there was a bad plastic taste, but that's gone now. I've gone through nearly a whole tankful of FlavourArt 50PG/40VG.

The problem is, compared to the stock 510T, it gives noticeably less vapour, and is quite harsh - enough to make me cough. It's not exactly a burnt taste, but maybe getting close. I let it soak overnight, but no change. Disappointing, because I'd read a lot of good comments about it.

Hard to say, but it seems like maybe it's just not getting enough liquid throughput to the coil? It's 1.8 ohms (I tested it), so I guess it also burns a bit hotter than the stock one. The stock one sort of crackles a bit while drawing, but this one gives more like one or two louder pop sounds near the end.

Did I maybe just get a bad one? Not sure what to expect. Shouldn't it be an improvement over the stock 510T? People talked about "lots of vapour", etc... I guess it's cheap enough I could try another one, but hate to throw good money after bad...

I'm a little confused;

you picked up a v-nano for your joyetech 510T. SO your joyetech 510T is a battery.

Compared to the stock 510T it gives noticeably less vapour; SO the stock 510T is another tank.

Now the stock 510T you mention would probably be a tank with a wick;

The v-nano is designed like a carto, with a big wad of absorbent material sitting on top of the coil; so when you draw on a v-nano or a carto, some of the fog generated by the coil gets reabsorbed by the wad of stuff so I'd expect to get less fog; fine for smokeless nicotine delivery systems, but not a great performer for a hobbie foggerholic.

Nada Nix

Dec 8, 2013
Germany
edyle, the 510T is an e-cigarette by Joyetech:
Joyetech Joye 510-T mini e-cigarette starter kits
...it comes with batteries, atomizers & cartridges, a charger, etc. - using it with the Nano clearomizer I have, produces less vapour than with the "stock" atomizer, that is, the one it came with. I did not expect that.

Traver, the Nano seems to be designed specifically to work with "the 510 electronic cigarette" (i.e., not just 510-threaded batteries in general). Even visually, it's nearly the same size and shape as the stock 510T atomizer/cart. You'd think if it was dangerous to use with the 510T, they'd put a warning on it? Anyway, it may be that the Nano is overstressing the 510T's battery (Joyetech doesn't publish the maximum discharge rate that I can see). But it's not tripping the over-current protection, and I don't think it's in danger of exploding. Maybe it would reduce the overall battery life, but they're not very expensive and I figure if the Nano gives a lot better performance than the stock atomizer, then it might be worth it. But so far, that's definitely not the case...

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
The term 510 can be a small cig alike battery. Otherwise 510 it is only a thread design. It is the most popular thread and the 808 is the next most popular For the most part it is up to you to decide what the battery or juice delivery devices are appropriate to be used together. Just because something can be screwed on to a battery doesn't mean it should be.

An explosion is not likely, fire or violent venting is a bit more likely. The most likely thing to happen when a battery is stressed is a shorter lifespan. I don't know enough about this battery to say anything definite. Two years ago I would have definitely said it is to risky to use that coil. There are better batteries now so I don't know for sure anymore. I do know that I wouldn't unless I had the specs for it.

Just out of curiosity how did you test it for resistance?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Picked up a Vision Nano yesterday, for my Joyetech 510T. At first there was a bad plastic taste, but that's gone now. I've gone through nearly a whole tankful of FlavourArt 50PG/40VG.

By the way, I have my slim v-nano semi permanently on a fat ego-type battery; i got a 22mg cuban cigar liquid in it. I guess it's not a great fogger, but I never really noticed.

This v-nano was actually my first tank purchase and as I recall I did used to get a burnt taste for a while - probably because it dry burned some filler while I was fiddling around with it.

But its fine for a nicotine liquid.

My main vape is a 2 to 3 ml pyrex tank. That gets low to 0 nic, high VG fogging juice

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia
WorksForMe, hm, it's not a burnt flavour like the filler got burned. Mainly it's a very harsh throat hit, although the vape seems rather thin compared to the stock 510T atty. I think I'm maybe a bit sensitive to PG, I find the throat hit of the e-cigarette much stronger than an analog; with the stock 510T it's tolerable, but with the Nano, it's not - I literally cough and choke on it. From what I've read here, the more power (higher voltage and/or lower ohms), the stronger the throat hit - is that right? And, if you get too much power, it will start to be harsh, like the liquid itself is starting to burn? I'm kind of a newbie, so I'm never really sure what to expect... but it seems like it could be a combination of the lower ohms, plus a problem with not enough liquid wicking in, that's causing it to be thin and harsh. Just trying to figure out if this is normal for the Nano, or if I should try another one...

You could be right. I usually use 2.2 ohm or higher coils and sometimes get harsher throat hits from 1.8 ohm coils. People here can give you their opinion on different juice delivery devices, but everybody's different. You'll have to keep trying things until you find what works best for you. If you like the Nano, maybe try a higher resistance version.

Vision NANO

Of course, its probably only a matter of time before you want to move to bigger batteries and toppers.

J.R.

Last edited:

Nada Nix

Dec 8, 2013
Germany
I checked the resistance with my digital multimeter. The 510T atomizer measures 2.3 ohms, and the Nano measures 1.8; that gives 1.43A (4.7W) and 1.83A (6W) respectively, at 3.3V - so the Nano could be using up to 28% more power. The actual value would depend on the internal resistance of the battery. I assumed that would translate into more vapour, but at least with the one I got, it doesn't.

The shop where I bought the Nano is selling it as an accessory for the 510T (which is specifically the Joyetech 9mm diameter e-cigarette). So are other shops, eg. gotvapes.com says the Nano "looks great on both your eGos (where you can also use your eGo cone with no problem) and 510 stick style batteries." Not saying you're wrong, it's possible that it could be stressing the battery and leading to a shorter lifespan. Hard to say, but anyway I'm not really worried about that at the moment. I bought the Nano thinking it would be an upgrade, but the one I have at least is certainly a downgrade.

Nada Nix

Dec 8, 2013
Germany
Actually, the shop where I bought it advertises it as 2.2 ohms, but when I got it home and measured it, it's definitely 1.8 ohms. Unfortunately ordering stuff from the U.S. isn't practical for me.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the 510T. I was never a heavy smoker, so I usually only refill it once a day, and I like the smaller size. The Nano is half the price of the 510T atomizer though, and I thought it might be easier to refill, and give a better quality of vapour, but so far... not. I guess I'll gamble on trying a second one, seems like that's the only way to know.

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
By the way i have no reason to believe that the nano is better than the 510T. I only responded because whether it is better or not it should still give a decent vape. That and the 1.8ohm. If you do get another and it is under 2.2 ohms bring it back and ask about the safe continuous discharge rate for your battery. They won't know but if you start taking about fires and liability I bet they will take the carto back. In any case they should know not to match a battery that is not adequate for the coil so you might be doing them a favor.

In the end what you like is the only thing that matters.

Nightcall

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2013
USA
I had a good run with Vision Nanos, then I had a bad run and stopped using them for good. During the good run, I enjoyed the flavor, albeit somewhat light, the bottom coil, the discreet vape, and the overall ease of use. I knew that on first filling they usually needed to be primed and allowed to soak. No problem. HHV Legend tasted fantastic in a Nano.

Then it all fell apart. Maybe I got a bad batch? The bad ones were from Desert Vapes who has the cheapest price at $2.45 apiece. I got a plastic taste from every one. I got one that tasted burnt permanently from the start no matter ho much I primed. I got one with no wick holes. That was funny.

Just when I thought I found a clearo for out and about vapes, disreet vapes, and cheap vapes, the dream ended.

People who mentioned E-Smarts are correct. They are usually dependable, definitely don't have an airy draw, not sure who would say that, and have solid flavor, although lighter than your average larger device.The disadvantage is they are top coil, so you have to turn them sideways and upside down to re-wet the wicks. They also don't clean well in my experience. Oh you can, but you'll never really clean that wick in there thoroughly. So they are disposable to me, and are only in good flavor form for about a week. I bought the 808 versions from LiteCig because the 510 version have short wicks which annoys me. The 808 version from LiteCig have long wicks. I bought a 510 to 808 adaptor to put them on my ego batteries and SVD.

Kanger T4s are also pretty good, however I got juice condensation in my mouth from those. Too small for me.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Izan, can you tell me what disappointed you? It would be great to get some feedback from other people who've used the Nano, about what I should expect compared to the stock 510T - more/less vapour, change in throat hit, difference in power level? I'm trying to figure out if I just got a bad one, or if they're always this way... because otherwise I like it, easy to fill, looks ok, no problem with leaking so far, less than half the price of the Joyetech atty, etc.

I looked at the Kanger T4/Esmart, but I thought I wanted a bottom coil, I read they have a very "airy" draw, and also I find them kind of ugly - and none of my usual suppliers here carry them. But maybe I'll try to get one for comparison.

They remind me of the innokin Tidy10 and of the original Bud/saphire/Ego-C.
A small coil and wick area, little to no juice reserves.
They tended to be inconsistent and overall anemic. On 510 stick style batteries they are less then satisfying, on ego batteries, they burn.

Pm me your address and I'll send you a T-4 to try.
Cheers
I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread