Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
For plain dripping attys, the least expensive and easiest to use would be a 510 or a 306 (which has 510 threading). I cover both of them in my blog, which generic mutant so complimentarily linked to. :)

These are pretty good prices for single units:

Joyetech Joye 510 Atomizer

Low Resistance (LR) Atomizer - 306

Last edited:

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
Good, dedicated (and disposable) atomizers, such as the Joyetech 510, Empire Mods, or Cisco-spec or HH357, are IMO much better than most RDAs for flavor. You're dripping a very few drops of fresh liquid directly down onto either a bridge above the the coil which feeds it, or better yet, onto the coil itself (bridge-free). They have a very small volume and air is fed up around the coil from below, straight up from the 510 connector, past the coil, and through the drip tip. They are the pure essence of dripping, but you necessarily drip more frequently.

IMO, most RDAs are for cloud blowers, especially the dual and quad coil capable. Their volume is typically greater to allow for two or even three screw posts and multiple coils, which all interfere with air flow, especially when it comes in from the side(s) of the cap. They have much greater thermal mass, sucking the heat out of the vape more when cold, and contributing more to it when hot, so they're usually more inconsistent. The coil is usually not directly below the drip tip, and they depend on wicking, typically from a pool in the base, and they're sometimes stuffed with flavor killing wick. All this excess liquid is cooked before it ever gets to the coil to become vapor, but you get more of it between drippings.

Although I don't expect it to give the exact same experience as a disposable dripping atomizer, I have hope for using my on-order Sophia RBA for direct dripping, by leaving the juice feed closed, using it without a tank, and trimming the wick up to the sides of the ceramic cup.

TheJohnG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
SoCal
Happydave is right on. The smoktech octopus is a 10 dollar atomizer that works great, and is great for learning about coil building, a microcoil with cotton at around 1.5 ohms is a great tasting vape with plenty of cloud for most of us. Check pbusardos video, he shows just how to build it. I think the key for you will be a single coil model, have fun.

The JohnG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread