Kayfun Clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
Hard to say really... I have a few of the clones (EHRPO 3.1ES, EHPRO Lite, and Tobeco Lite+) and they all work equally well.

Some random comments...

The Tobeco whistles, where neither of my EHPROs do.

Both brands have very tiny screws for the pos/neg post. The EHRPO comes with a really nice little keychain metal screwdriver with screw-down caps that cover flat on one side and Philips on the other; the Tobeco comes with a cheap tiny acrylic handle screwdriver Philips only.

The threads on the EHPRO are overall smoother than the Tobeco; in particular, the chimney threads on my Tobeco are really quite rough, but this could just be mine...

The EHPRO has a nice machined finish that looks great on an SS mod (like my iTaste SVD). The Tobeco's finished is more a polished chrome look, which would look better on a polished mod.

At the end of the day, I'd recommend either the EHPRO or the Tobeco, but like the EHRPO models a little better.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
i have the first FT kayfun. the one that was listed at the end of october and just got into the hands of the buyers within the last few weeks. this one:

https://www.fasttech.com/p/1494700

i like it very much. its my only kayfun experience so i cant speak about comparing it to other kayfun clones. but i have used many types of rebuildables and this thing is great. zero leaks, great flavor, great TH, and big time vapor production. its like hitting a RDA that just keeps on vaping, without dripping of course.

i do get a whistle however. do you think this is the tobeco version, Endor?
whats funny is that i didnt even realize it whistled until i read your comment. so i took a vape to see and lo and behold it whistles lol.

one thing to note on mine is that you cant use the adjustable pos pin. you have to snug it up all the way to ensure that your coil wont get disrupted. but even snugged all the way up, it still protrudes more than enough to make connection with your mods pos pin. obviously having an adjustable pos pin is preferred for this atty, like the chi you has. and as a bonus it looks magnificent on the chi you. if you back that pin out, it loosens the housing of the pos lead which can cause the pos housing to spin and screw everything up. its an easy "fix", but a necessary one.

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
i have the first FT kayfun. the one that was listed at the end of october and just got into the hands of the buyers within the last few weeks. this one:

https://www.fasttech.com/p/1494700

Yeah, jeez, I ordered mine on Nov 1st. It is FINALLY in Los Angeles after Singpost got their crap together... since I'm in the LA area, I expect it either this week or early next week.

i do get a whistle however. do you think this is the tobeco version, Endor?
whats funny is that i didnt even realize it whistled until i read your comment. so i took a vape to see and lo and behold it whistles lol.

Hard to tell, but I don't think so.

FastTech does now have the Tobeco version as a Kayfun Lite clone ($26.70 Kayfun Lite Styled Rebuildable Atomizer (4.5mL) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping).

However, the one we ordered is a 3.1ES version and I believe it is from a different manufacturer. There was some talk about it being made by HCigar, and it does look like other HCigar clones I've seen on eBay, but nobody really knows for sure.

Oddly enough, Phil Busardo just mentioned in his recent review of the KFL+ that the real one also whistles a bit, so it's not just a clone thing.

Regarding the positive pin... that's a good point. On the EHPRO 3.1ES version, it is designed like the Russian in that the pos pin screws into another pin that holds the two build deck pieces on, so you can unscrew the pos pin/bottom catch cup without disrupting your build at all. I don't know if the EHPRO KFL or the Tobeco have this same design... I've never removed the positive pin since they don't have a catch cup to clean.

Jellyfish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Philly Burbs
one thing to note on mine is that you cant use the adjustable pos pin. you have to snug it up all the way to ensure that your coil wont get disrupted. but even snugged all the way up, it still protrudes more than enough to make connection with your mods pos pin. obviously having an adjustable pos pin is preferred for this atty, like the chi you has. and as a bonus it looks magnificent on the chi you. if you back that pin out, it loosens the housing of the pos lead which can cause the pos housing to spin and screw everything up. its an easy "fix", but a necessary one.

I'm not sure how the FT clone is constructed, but the following post helped me with the same problem with my Russian 91%:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/rebuildable-atomizer-systems/446327-russian-91-kayfun-lite-clone-twist-30.html#post10829484

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
I have a FT sold Kayfun 3.1. Mine does not whistle and the finish matches my Semovar really close. Im pretty stoked about it. You can also use tjis mone in "Hybrid Mode" if you have a Semovar......I am vaping this set up now. Its one very quiet and smooth vape.

The 13.00 Rocket from FT vapes exactly the same.....no whistle there either. Cant use in Hybrid Mode (Russian copy)

The screws on top of the FT sold Kayfun 3.1 are beefier than the Rocket.

The rocket has a chrome cheap look to it.

My Two Cents... :blink:

Last edited:

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
I have a FT sold Kayfun 3.1. Mine does not whistle and the finish matches my Semovar really close. Im pretty stoked about it. You can also use tjis mone in "Hybrid Mode" if you have a Semovar......I am vaping this set up now. Its one very quiet and smooth vape.

The 13.00 Rocket from FT vapes exactly the same.....no whistle there either. Cant use in Hybrid Mode (Russian copy)

The screws on top of the FT sold Kayfun 3.1 are beefier than the Rocket.

The rocket has a chrome cheap look to it.

My Two Cents... :blink:

What is hybrid mode?

ImportVapor.com

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I have a FT sold Kayfun 3.1. Mine does not whistle and the finish matches my Semovar really close. Im pretty stoked about it. You can also use tjis mone in "Hybrid Mode" if you have a Semovar......

Sounds interesting. What bits and bobs do you need for that, and does it shorten the over all length any?

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
Yeah, jeez, I ordered mine on Nov 1st. It is FINALLY in Los Angeles after Singpost got their crap together... since I'm in the LA area, I expect it either this week or early next week.

Hard to tell, but I don't think so.

FastTech does now have the Tobeco version as a Kayfun Lite clone ($26.70 Kayfun Lite Styled Rebuildable Atomizer (4.5mL) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping).

However, the one we ordered is a 3.1ES version and I believe it is from a different manufacturer. There was some talk about it being made by HCigar, and it does look like other HCigar clones I've seen on eBay, but nobody really knows for sure.

Oddly enough, Phil Busardo just mentioned in his recent review of the KFL+ that the real one also whistles a bit, so it's not just a clone thing.

Regarding the positive pin... that's a good point. On the EHPRO 3.1ES version, it is designed like the Russian in that the pos pin screws into another pin that holds the two build deck pieces on, so you can unscrew the pos pin/bottom catch cup without disrupting your build at all. I don't know if the EHPRO KFL or the Tobeco have this same design... I've never removed the positive pin since they don't have a catch cup to clean.

Very good to know. THanks. Once you get your ft clone, let us know please what mfgr you think it is.
There is a catch cup type of thing that you describe. It fits your description. However, using the pos pin will possibly result in a disruption of the little block that houses the pos lead connection.
I never realized that this screws apart as a catch cup. Didn't even realize that's what was going on there. Once my tank is done I'll check out the catch cup to see if an things down there. That's a pretty amazing feature!

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
There have been reports of some of the FT KF/KFL+/R91 clones ($15-22+ verions) as having a chrome plated positive deck. The deck on the tobeco clone ($26 version) I have is made of SS. I also have a Rocket from FT and I'm sure it's aluminum, poly, and chromed brass construction.

Where was your tobeco clone purchased from?

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
I am too looking for a russian clone and I have heard that the tobeco one sucks and not as good of a quality as the ehpro or hcigar. Anyone has links especially links to where they have purchased their ehpro or hcigar russian from.

+1
If my clone has brass I guess I should start looking around for other ones. Although is anyone actually getting lead poisoning from vaping? I'm asking this sincerely, not joking at all. I know there's a big brass scare, but is it really at levels that are popping up as toxic to vapers?

I guess I got way off topic there. Apologies.

ghostridr

Dec 7, 2013
United States
Where was your tobeco clone purchased from?

I got mine off of ebay, but it looks to be the same as the $26 FT version.

+1
If my clone has brass I guess I should start looking around for other ones. Although is anyone actually getting lead poisoning from vaping? I'm asking this sincerely, not joking at all. I know there's a big brass scare, but is it really at levels that are popping up as toxic to vapers?

I guess I got way off topic there. Apologies.

I think it's a valid concern. Most of us moved to away from smoking to vaping in order to improve our health, why lose site of that fact just because we want to save a few pennies? Easy way to find out is shine a light into the post threads and look.

Last edited:

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
...... I know there's a big brass scare, but is it really at levels that are popping up as toxic to vapers? ....

Very valid question of course, but I think the correct answer is no. ( Notice the 'I think' part of the sentence. It's not as if I've ever been wrong before lol. :vapor: ).

I think that if the chrome plating is good in general, then the small amount of exposed brass in the thread and where it screws in isn't enough to be of any concern. Amounts of juice that get in there and back into the wick are going to be so extremely small, plus the amount of lead it picks up is going to be extremely small as well (almost non existent).

On the other hand if your unit is from fasttech, and is supposed to be ss but you do have brass, then I'd open a ticket (regardless of how old it is) with them. I see where they're posting that all future shipments will be ss if it's supposed to be, so they're well aware of the issue.

Some more reading on the subject: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ncrease-vapor-flavor-th-851.html#post11567813

Ref Minor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
UK
What is hybrid mode?

ImportVapor.com

image.jpg

You need a SvoeMesto Semovar and a Kayfun 3.1 to use the hybrid mode. Pic is a Semo with FT Kayfun 3.1. The hybrid ring replaces the top cap on the Semo and the drip tray section on the 3.1 with a small hybrid ring taking about 1/2" off the total length and reducing the number of connections to improve connectivity.

The Semovar and the Kayfun are made by the same people and designed to work together.

wingman399

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2013
Olathe, KS
I bought this one. Kayfun Lite Russian Atomizer Clone RBA Tobeco Direct Revision 2 5 w New Airflow | eBay

Hits great. Tastes good at 15 watts on my SID. Rebuilt it and put a 1.6 ohm microcoil in it and other than the stupid whistle, it's great. You can tighten up the draw and more or less get rid of it but for a fraction of the price of the real one, I'll deal with a whistle. It's worth it. However, I'll say my juice only had a little menthol in it and boy it kicks hard in the kayfun clone. Just remember your juice flavor profile will be drastically different. But can't wait to try my Halo Midnight Apple in it.

peterforpats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
rounding third and heading home...
i've said this in other threads but here goes. i have the real (kayfun and russian) and all the clones(compulsive ). the best of all the clones is the hcigar 3.1 .it looks and feels so much like the russian that i am not convinced it isn't a russian (except they put the svoe mesto logo on it). the ehpros are both very good. the tobeco is good but not quite as good as the hcigar. they all vape pretty much the same. the russians are the best of the lot - better than the kayfuns. if i knew then what i know now i would get the russian 91% and the hcigar 3.1 . for back ups i would get the ehpros....YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread