So; Are the expensive juices really worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

desk1%

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2012
Laughlin, NV
Now I have tried one of the MEL's and let me tell you it was amazing. While $0.50 a ml isn't all that bad it is a bit more than the $0.22-$0.33 a ml that suppliers such as MBV offer. What I'm wondering is; are the juices like: Standard, OMG, Jameson Irish vape, Blueprint, AVE and Mad Murdoch really worth what they're asking? :confused::banana::vapor::banana:

babyk1352012

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Washington State
I wasn't too impressed with mbv, but I typically make my own and have been for awhile so my juices are tailored to my taste....I do love me some mountain oak vapor though, just the right amount of flavor and thier juice mixture extended the life of my cartos by days, they are a little pricey but worth it. I guess it just depends on the vendor, mov is pricy and have excellent vapes, I tried jc once, most expensive vendor I've ever tried and while the flavors were great the mixture didn't give me enough clouds, they had the option for all vg, but I like to have both options. So not all pricy vendors are worth it, but as we all know taste is subjective

desk1%

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2012
Laughlin, NV
One word: YES!

I have tried 20-25 vendors so far and I find you get what you pay for. I am not sure what the less expensive vendors use for base, but I have found several vendors where you notice a particular lingering flavor no matter what flavor e liquid you try.

I've noticed that lingering flavor with EC blend but not so much with MBV. MBV seems to have that characteristic between similar flavors. I vape anywhere from 3-6 ml a day so a $0.73 a ml I just threw the whole idea of saving money over smoking clean out the window. I'm just trying to weigh some pros and cons to spending so much money on juice.

holy_handgrenade

ECF Veteran
May 20, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
So far, I've found that "standard" pricing for B&M shops locally tend to be right around $1/ml - 10ml bottles being the most common by far, avg price being between $9-$12 per 10ml bottle. I've found that most of the B&M's that make thier own tend to taste very medicinal/artificial. I've been primarily vaping HHV because of price $21 for 50ml bottles or $0.42/ml seems a lot cheaper and flavor thus far cant be beat (IMO).

Some of the more expensive brands I've found tend to have a lot of image and are typically more expensive packaging. That being said, I'm not sure I like any of them enough to vape the expensive stuff regularly. Halo and Five Pawns come to mind here; generally $27-$30 for a 30ml bottle. Halo is good, and I have enjoyed most of the flavors they have - however, I switched to make things cheaper, and a 30ml bottle only lasts me about 2-3 weeks depending on device.

I'm super intrigued when I find a truly expensive liquid. Such as Mido's Scorpion Blood - which was 25GBP + 14GBP shipping for a 30ml bottle. It's very good and has very interesting packaging - at $54USD for 30ml though, it's definately something I'll treat myself with once or twice at best. So far the really expensive stuff hasnt let me down, so I'd have to say it's a "get what you pay for" but AVE and HHV I can hardly rank as "expensive" considering for about $45 including shipping, I can supply myself for well over a month (would have been approx $360 with analogs).

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
In my opinion, price doesn't mean the best. Since vaping for all it's worth is very subjective, one man's trash is another's enjoyment. You'll see that time and time again in the juice reviews. Over the years I've had very good results with both the high and low priced juices. I've purchased high end juices that others raved about in their fancy glass bottles only to wind up using it as a mixer since I couldn't stand vaping it straight. In one instance I had been using a high end juice from a vendor only to find out that a similar Dekang juice offered me the same taste, throat hit and vapor production. That got me to thinking the vendor was just tweaking a bulk DeKang purchase. Right now I got a couple of bottles of higher priced juice sitting in the drawer. While the flavor isn't bad, my wife and kids won't let me vape it in the house since it's aroma smells like cat pee. After 4 1/2 years of vaping I've learned to go with what you like and not the price.

Last edited:

baseballmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2013
SE PA
sincemylastcigarette.com
with the higher end stuff, are we paying more for packaging/presentation and hype or is it really that much better?(the cat pee aroma mentioned just really isn't what I'm quite searching for, and I don't think my boys would appreciate it-nor would my cats!) I mean they do have some pretty cool looking bottles. I'm happy with Indigo, Nicoticket, and Gremlin now and want to try Seduce Juice next...cause they have flavors I enjoy and good customer service in my opinion. Maybe someday I'll try some of the higher end stuff, but haven't been able to justify spending extra for it when I'm content with my "mid range" vendors. I also like stuff I can order easily and conveniently when it suits me, but that's just me.

desk1%

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2012
Laughlin, NV
with the higher end stuff, are we paying more for packaging/presentation and hype or is it really that much better?

I was kinda wondering if the fact that they came in what appears to be cologne and perfume bottles with flash or minimalist art/design played a roll in the high price. This is beginning to show as a pattern in the comments here, so I'm inclined to believe that there may be more truth to this. I'm naturally highly skeptical to higher priced items, but in other areas of my life through proper evaluation and questioning I've discovered that the price is worth it.

holy_handgrenade

ECF Veteran
May 20, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
I was kinda wondering if the fact that they came in what appears to be cologne and perfume bottles with flash or minimalist art/design played a roll in the high price. This is beginning to show as a pattern in the comments here, so I'm inclined to believe that there may be more truth to this. I'm naturally highly skeptical to higher priced items, but in other areas of my life through proper evaluation and questioning I've discovered that the price is worth it.

Well, this is the same with all business and all products everywhere, vaping isnt an exception to this rule. For the most part, you do get what you pay for. That being said, with the ejuice vendors that are out there, in some cases you're paying for R&D - recipes rarely if ever are finalized on thier first attempt. So you're talking about lots of bad attempts before they get something marketable. On top of that, marketing and packaging are serious considerations. I think that a lot of the cheaper places are doing bare minimum design and packaging and cut overhead by either not hiring employees, or hiring only family, and not having rent/lease to pay on a brick and mortar establishment and several other factors.

Honestly, from what I'm seeing locally $1/ml is a standard pricing model that seems to work well with the B&M model; however, once you jump online, people are still making huge profits by slicing that price over half.

The cheaper stuff I'd be more worried about quality control and the ingredients sourced. But if it works for you, more power to you.

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
Do these more expensive vendors offer full discloser as to their ingredient sourcing? I haven't seen it.

True and most do not offer any information on the facilities in which the e-juice is produced. The production facility maybe nothing more that a kitchen table that the cat just walked across or it could be a pristine lab. A couple of years back there were a few discussions regarding the type of facilities used in juice production. Several vendors like DeKang and Pure Smoker, to name a few, readily posted photos of their state of the art facilities while others did not. So even though that high priced juice came in a fancy bottle with fancy packaging, it may have been made out in the garage next to the lawn mower. 8-o

Last edited:

desk1%

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2012
Laughlin, NV
Luckily there is AEMSA, and I don't think I've seen it on any of the premiums other than Mountain Oak and a high-end like Mr. E-liquid. Here's a link to their members site MEMBERS | AEMSA and here's there standards STANDARDS | AEMSA I was going through one of the low end vendors but on the rare occurrence I required customer service it literally took weeks to resolve the issue.

Last edited:

jdrewry

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2011
New Jersey
Now I have tried one of the MEL's and let me tell you it was amazing. While $0.50 a ml isn't all that bad it is a bit more than the $0.22-$0.33 a ml that suppliers such as MBV offer. What I'm wondering is; are the juices like: Standard, OMG, Jameson Irish Vape, Blueprint, AVE and Mad Murdoch really worth what they're asking? :confused::banana::vapor::banana:

You won't know it yourself, until you've tried it. I don't get hung on on the cost too much--for the most part, it's still cheaper than what I was paying for analogs (and whatever prescriptions my doctor was giving me to help me quit smoking). You find a juice you really like, chances are you're going to pay whatever it costs to get it.

AegisPrime

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
The Fortesque Mansion, UK
I don't get hung on on the cost too much--for the most part, it's still cheaper than what I was paying for analogs (and whatever prescriptions my doctor was giving me to help me quit smoking).

^^^ So much this!

Here in the UK it's the equivalent of $12.45 for a pack of 20 Marlboros - the most expensive e-liquid I've seen here is Halo (which obviously, is imported) - I can get a 30ml bottle of Tribeca for the equivalent of $29 - which, given I vape 2ml a day = $1.93 per day.

When even the expensive stuff is so cheap next to smoking, why go cheap?

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I have vaped DeKang menthol now for almost 3yrs and the problem I have is that I can't find a liquid that compares to it in either quality or taste. I have tried all the menthol's that Halo has and they have all found their way to the trash can. I have tried countless others that also found the trash can also. I am very particular as to the taste of my menthol's and none of the higher end companies have any idea as to what menthol is supposed to taste like. Their idea is either a Hall's cough drop or Vick's Vapor Rub and it's neither. Don't get me started on menthol tobacco's... The last thing I want to taste in my menthol is some kind of nutty taste. I don't ever remember an analog tasting like Planter's peanuts!!! I can't believe what most places charge for "said" premium liquids either. As Aegis pointed out above it only costs $1.93 per day, and that sounds reasonable, but IMO is still outrageously priced... I vape on average of 3-4ml per day for a total cost of $0.62-$0.83 per day, compared to Halo being $1.86 per day for me... And it tastes horrible... I know what works for me, might not work for someone else, but at $0.21/ml and could be as low as $0.11/ml, i'll be sticking with what works for me... Just my opinion and YMMV...

AegisPrime

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
The Fortesque Mansion, UK
Well I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't vape the cheaper liquids - I'm vaping Joyetech's RY4 at the moment since it's cheap and got an A- on the big list of RY4's here :D

But equally, irrespective of how expensive a juice is, it's a bargain compared to smoking so people should just try whatever they like the look of :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread