Why is a mod with an 18650 better/different than an MVP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa
I just got my SiD in the mail yesterday, and after waiting forever for the batteries to charge, am vaping away quite happily on it. I like this! Seems to be a smoother vape overall, more flavor, even though I'm running a tank I'd run on my MVP at the same settings?

So, what's going on here? Why is this different? Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I'm just curios as to why.

ingerri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
NW Indiana
I don't have either, but have been looking to get a mod. with a mod that uses an 18650 you can change the battery out when it is drained. with the mvp it has an internal battery that is not replaceable. when it is drained you have to wait for it to charge(so you better have a backup) and when its life is up you toss the whole thing, not just a battery.

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa
I don't have either, but have been looking to get a mod. with a mod that uses an 18650 you can change the battery out when it is drained. with the mvp it has an internal battery that is not replaceable. when it is drained you have to wait for it to charge(so you better have a backup) and when its life is up you toss the whole thing, not just a battery.

Yes, I get that, ingerri, the question I have is why is the vapor stronger and more flavorful on an 18650 than on an MVP? Is it a better/stronger/different current? I'm asking for technical details. I know some of you guys are EEs and can (hopefully) explain the technology to a non-EE.

The reasons I bought it are A. need a home backup for my MVP, B. wanted to see the difference, C. Like adding to my collection, D. Wanted an easier way to check ohms (I have a multimeter but it's a pain, and my MVP is a v.1, no ohm checking), and D. WANT. :)

Both are great. I considered another MVP, but I wanted a tube style mod.

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa
Hard to say! It really shouldn't be different - unless maybe you are setting WATTS, and they devices are handling it differently...
If both are set to, say 4 volts, they should vape about the same with the same tank.
But at least it's GOOD and not a let-down!
enjoy!

I thought the same thing, but this just hits differently. Very curious. And yes, I like it, and my MVP a lot, so it's all good. :)

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Well assuming you are using the same voltage, the only thing I can think of is maybe you are getting better airflow with the SID. Better airflow might give you better flavor.

Possibly if your settings are very high, the MVP cannot deliver the power as it only goes up to 5V...

I'm just shooting in the dark here. There is no reason, it's all in your head :blink: lol (I kid, I kid)

ingerri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
NW Indiana
Yes, I get that, ingerri, the question I have is why is the vapor stronger and more flavorful on an 18650 than on an MVP? Is it a better/stronger/different current? I'm asking for technical details. I know some of you guys are EEs and can (hopefully) explain the technology to a non-EE.

The reasons I bought it are A. need a home backup for my MVP, B. wanted to see the difference, C. Like adding to my collection, D. Wanted an easier way to check ohms (I have a multimeter but it's a pain, and my MVP is a v.1, no ohm checking), and D. WANT. :)

Both are great. I considered another MVP, but I wanted a tube style mod.

sorry misunderstood the question LOL

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa
Well assuming you are using the same voltage, the only thing I can think of is maybe you are getting better airflow with the SID. Better airflow might give you better flavor.

Possibly if your settings are very high, the MVP cannot deliver the power as it only goes up to 5V...

I'm just shooting in the dark here. There is no reason, it's all in your head :blink: lol (I kid, I kid)

Mebbe. It is the new shiny, after all, lol.

potholerepairman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2009
Could just be the blind test effect, (coke vs pepsi), I watched 6 people who have been friends for over 10 years take that test at a festival blindly and pick their cola of choice wrong half the time,they all loved one or the other,It opened my eyes to WT(H.ell) big time.Someone with more tech will step in soon.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
The reason is the processor. Different vaporizers function with different efficiencies. Depending on the quality of the unit's processor, your vape will differ.

All vv/vw mods accomplish the vv/vw using a system called Pulse Width Modulation, or PWM. The mod pulses a series of voltages multiple times per second to reach the voltage you set. The speed at which the processor pulses will determine the quality of the vape.

A slower processor, like the Vamo for example will cycle at 33hz per second. The pulsing is quite noticeable at this speed- most users can even hear the pulsing manifested as a "rattlesnake" sound. The provari for example cycles at 800hz/second which is indistinguishable to the user. All other mods fall somewhere in between. The evic cycles at a little over 100hz.

I've read that the innokin products are quite speedy on the cycles as well but I can't recall the results. I do have reason to believe that the newer variations a la the v2 and newer models have quicker processors than the v1s and such.

It's likely that you SID cycles at a higher rate than your MVP v1.

Mechanical mods will give you a straight DC current and does no cycling whatsoever.

Evolv mods and kicks have an extremely efficient processor, on par with the speed of the provari processor. Same thing with the semovar. But the list pretty much stops there. Everything else is noticeably different.

The knockoff kicks like the sigelei kick cycles at 33hz/second- same as the vamo.

I hope that helps explain things for you.

Have fun and vape on :)

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Unless you are using a Dripping Atty with a side air hole or a Genesis style tank with a side air hole, you may not be making equal comparisons.
Not all Mods are going to be regulated the same, though I believe both the SID and MVP use standard 33mhz chipsets.

Simple differences in the way a passthrough tank sit on a particular Mod will effect the overall Vape experience.
Protank is a good example as it will not work well at all on a Provari. The tank screws down to far and stops air flow.

Sucker_dad

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
topeka, ks, USA
I understand exactly what you are asking. I purchased an Itaste vv 3.0 a while back after considerable research. I like it allright, it did take me a while to figure it out. It is nice for an Ohm meter that also happens to work as a PV. The flavor is different on it as compared to my vision spinners. I have 4 1300 mah spinners and when the abtteries are fresh the itaste will not give you as good of a flavor. I have adjusted the volts all the way up and down. I have used the wattage setting and went through the entire spectrum. I use a dripper and I use the same one going from one to the other. Flavor seems to be cleaner and a little stronger on the spinners. It could be my imagination, I have not done a blind taste test to see. The reason I don't think it is my imagination is that I really wanted to like the itaste. I love the look of it and I like the vape fine, it is just not quite as good as my spinners produce. Now I have two mechs coming from FT. One is somewhere in the U.S. and the other is on it's way to the U.S. I can't wait to see how the mechs perform in comparison. I love the clean look of the Nemesis and the one mech I have hit was running a 1 ohm coil and the hit was wonderful.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
The reason is the processor. Different vaporizers function with different efficiencies. Depending on the quality of the unit's processor, your vape will differ.

All vv/vw mods accomplish the vv/vw using a system called Pulse Width Modulation, or PWM. The mod pulses a series of voltages multiple times per second to reach the voltage you set. The speed at which the processor pulses will determine the quality of the vape.

A slower processor, like the Vamo for example will cycle at 33hz per second. The pulsing is quite noticeable at this speed- most users can even hear the pulsing manifested as a "rattlesnake" sound. The provari for example cycles at 800hz/second which is indistinguishable to the user. All other mods fall somewhere in between. The evic cycles at a little over 100hz.

I've read that the innokin products are quite speedy on the cycles as well but I can't recall the results. I do have reason to believe that the newer variations a la the v2 and newer models have quicker processors than the v1s and such.

Mechanical mods will give you a straight DC current and does no cycling whatsoever.

Evolv mods and kicks have an extremely efficient processor, on par with the speed of the provari processor. Same thing with the semovar. But the list pretty much stops there. Everything else is noticeably different.

The knockoff kicks like the sigelei kick cycles at 33hz/second- same as the vamo.

This!!!
The MVP is 37hz and the SID is using the same chip as the Evic at 103hz. It smooths out the highs and lows of the voltage regulation process giving you a smoother and warmer vape.

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa

Thanks for this!

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
FOr me it is all about a replaceable battery vs a throw away device. I can get a decent vape on either (caveate being I wrap my own coils so I can tweak to the device).

With the FDA of doom still hanging over us moving over to mechs with replaceable batterys and rebuildable atomizers was the only way in my book. If something breaks I can fix it. If the FDA were to shut down internet sales I couldn't replace a MVP or EGO twist. With a mech I am self sufficient.

bcalvanese

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2012
Pennsylvania
I think the difference is that the SID uses pulse width modulation (6 volt pulse signal that stays on for longer or shorter to imulate the voltage you have it set to) and the output signal on the MVP is the actual voltage that you have set.

The mods that use the PWM tend to hit harder, and the ones with the straight output signal hit smoother.

I prefer a smoother hit as it is more satifying (IMO).

I could be wrong though...:)

Peter_C

Who?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2013
Akron, Ohio
www.facebook.com

I think the above explains when I got my ProVari, using the same topper, same juice, same voltage - yet the ProVari simply tasted better? Wasn't expecting that to happen either. I like and use my itaste stuff for travel, and my ProVari at home (I tend to drop stuff).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread