Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I've searched, but I haven't seen much discussion of this device, so I thought I'd start a thread...

I ordered this for myself as on Christmas day. Our mailman brought it today. Wow, this thing is TINY!

noY9sQE.jpg

L8MhvMk.jpg

Build quality on the one I just got seems to be very good. I know there are reviews out there that showed some flaws in the castings. Mine doesn't seem to have any. I haven't taken it apart yet, but I like the fact that it can be taken apart.

And yes folks, there really is a difference in the quality of the vape between a device like the MVP that uses PWM and a device that like this that produces true DC at whatever voltage is needed. I've swapped the same tank (the iClear 30S you see in the picture) back and forth several times now, with both units set to the same power (7.5 watts) and the difference is quite noticeable; the vape from the DNA is definitely smoother. I guess that's one of the things that sells Provaris, and to be honest I was skeptical, but it's true.

Anyway, this is my new favorite device (by far!).

I'll be back with updates as I use it more.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
So far, I'm 100% enamored with it. I have a bunch of other devices here with different flavors in 'em that I was constantly switching between in a search for a satisfying vape. I started switching around a bit less when I got the iClear 30S onto the MVP. But since I put that tank on the DNA, I think I've finally found something I could be content with vaping all day. It also feels great in my hand. I've got relatively small hands and it's just more comfortable than the MVP. The finish is also somehow friendlier. My guess is it's powder coating, and the MVPs brushed finish feels obnoxiously metallic in comparison.

Given its diminutive size, I wonder about battery capacity. That's not a huge concern for me most days when I'm either at one of my desks or in a car. Of course there are those days when I'm out and about all day, but in that case, I've got the MVP as a backup (and I could even charge the DNA from it I was so inclined). Unfortunately, I can't really address this yet because I've been too busy vaping it to give it a full charge. I've plugged it in a couple of times just to verify that it does charge. I'll let it charge fully overnight and then see how long it lasts me from there.

Here's a few more pics:

First, to show those who aren't that familiar with the MVP another frame of reference for the size of this device:

tWZCY4U.jpg

And a couple of close-ups:

WsNchiR.jpg

XgauPAM.jpg

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
Looks nice and glad you are happy but...you're actually vaping straight from the battery at that setting. The DNA20 doesn't step down power so if your battery is at 4.0 volts or over and your atty is 2.1 ohms, it's not regulating. It'll start once you get to 3.9 volts on the battery. Hot off the charger you are getting 8.4 watts and then it'll go down with the battery until you hit 3.9 volts left on the battery.

You may actually enjoy the higher wattage.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Well... I've never seen the resistance reading flash, which I understand it should do if it can't regulate down to the requested wattage. Also, if you look at PBusardo's "The DNA 20" review, he believes it does have some buck capability and it looks like it will regulate down to somewhere between 3.3 and 3.5 volts. Lastly, there's a noticeable difference in the vape between 7.5 and the 8.5 watt settings, but I'll have to double-check whether that's still the case when the battery is really fully charged tomorrow morning.

At this point I'm actually wishing I had a 510 "break out" box that would allow me to put a DVM between the device and the load. If I did, I'd make a nice chart showing what exactly what it's capable of into a ~2 ohm load. ;)

In any case, I really like the vape it produces from an iClear 30S on top. I've tried that tank as high as 10 watts on the MVP and simply didn't like it as well on there. At one point I had been thinking I should get a Kayfun Mini 2.1 to go with the DNA, but now I'm not sure that's going to be necessary since I'm entirely satisfied with the vape I'm getting. For just how long that will continue to be the case is anyone's guess. But since I always want to try new stuff, next thing I'm going to try is a carto tank from IBTanked. :cool:

Last edited:

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
I was just giving my understanding of how the dna 20 works. I checked the spec sheet

http://www.evolvapor.com/datasheet/dna20.pdf

and it says

"The DNA 20D puts out a minimum of 4 volts. With low power settings (7 to 8
watts) and low resistance atomizers (below 2 ohms) the DNA will sometimes be unable to provide a low
enough power output to be power regulating. If this is the case, the Ohms display will be flashing. The
device will still operate. "

So Phil is wrong about the step down. 4 volts is right on the cusp of 7.4 watts at that resistance and factoring in the loss which the device is compensating for, it's probably firing right at that.

However, the important thing is that you enjoy it. Also, I'd grab a spheroid over a kayfun mini if you want an rba with some capacity. It's shorter, easier to set up and not leaky at all.

Last edited:

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
I'd never heard of the Spheroid. After watching some reviews, I'm mildly skeptical. :D

I've had both and a few other 17mm or under high end rbas. The Spheroid is the only one that I have kept.

I'm guessing you probably put stock in different reviewers than I would but I can share my experience having had a Penelope, Taifun GS, Kayfun Mini, Spheroid, Arrow, Qzi Mini and Line SS...spheroid is the only one I have now.

vewdew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
new bedford, MA, USA
That looks nice. Yes, please let us know how it is. I've almost pulled the trigger three times this week.

I have my own dna20 that I built, and all I can say so far its the best I have ever used. Planning on building my second one soon, so I would say get it you will like it.

JP1021

Verified Member
Feb 26, 2013
Nashville, TN
I own the vapor shark DNA 20 as well. I absolutely love it. I'm running an ERA with a microcoil at 1.5 ohms (29g wire) with a cotton wick. At 18 watts it's my favorite device I own. I do wish the 1200 mah battery was larger but so far it lasts me all day. I've given up my dual coil sub ohm setup, especially when I discovered my optimal wattages were still in the 18-20 watt range even with dual coils. It's compact and I can actually carry my vape in my pocket which is a first for me. At $165 it's a good deal.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
OK, time for an update. I charged the Vaporshark DNA fully overnight. I don't know how long it took to charge fully, but when I woke up this morning around 8:00am, the charge LED was green indicating it was fully charged. I immediately tested it to see if it would still be able to regulate down to its lowest 7W power setting with the load I have on it (a 2.1 ohm iClear 30S). It was able to do so; the resistance reading never flashed, and increasing the power setting to 7-1/2 watts made a noticeable difference in the vape.

I then proceeded to use it as my primary device all day to get some idea of battery life. It was certainly not the only device I vaped today -- I've got 5 other devices with 5 other flavors of juice on my desk and I like to switch among flavors. However I used the other devices/flavors more sparingly than ever today. I filled iClear 30S not that long after I got up, but after I'd already vaped something close to 1/2 ml on that charge. This afternoon when it got to the 1.5 ml line, I filled it again. Now just a few minutes before 9:00pm, it refused to fire anymore because the battery is too low, and it's just a hair above the 1.5 ml line. So I was able to vape a full 3 ml of juice from this tiny thing on one charge; that's with the power set to 8.0 watts.

IMO, that's darn good for such a diminutive device. Could I use this as my only device, completely untethered, from the time I get up in the morning until I go to bed at night? No, obviously not. Then again, I don't need to either. It is after all, a pass-through. You can vape it while charging it. It doesn't need a separate charger; all it needs is a standard micro USB cable and any source of USB power. That means plugging it occasionally during the day is not difficult at all.

That actually gives me a crazy idea for a modification. There are these wireless charging setups for phones.... ;)

CABBA

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
Canada
I have to agree; I also wish the battery was easily changeable so I could carry a spare for those occasions when I'm gonna be away from power all day. Instead, I think I'm going to have to get a spare Vaporshark. :D

That's one way to do it I guess. I like that "out of the box" type solution. For a DNA 20 the VS is reasonably prices, so this is an option. Either that or wait for the v2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jay9055

Verified Member
I own the vapor shark DNA 20 as well. I absolutely love it. I'm running an ERA with a microcoil at 1.5 ohms (29g wire) with a cotton wick. At 18 watts it's my favorite device I own. I do wish the 1200 mah battery was larger but so far it lasts me all day. I've given up my dual coil sub ohm setup, especially when I discovered my optimal wattages were still in the 18-20 watt range even with dual coils. It's compact and I can actually carry my vape in my pocket which is a first for me. At $165 it's a good deal.

JP have you looked inside the box yet? 1200mah is less than some little ego batteries, I am curious if you could mod the mod and get a bigger battery in there.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I've opened mine up to do some minor mods / tweaking. Stuff is pretty tight in there. I don't see how you could ever fit a bigger battery in there, and right now, I think the battery that's in there is very dense when you consider it packs 1200 mAh and is capable of supplying 18 amps of current. Maybe I'll open it up again and post a pic after I've had dinner...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread