Status
Not open for further replies.

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I found a secret feature by accident on the Vamo V5. Press and hold the check resistance button with no load. It should say 9.9 ohm. Keep holding and it will say MOBILE OUT ON. This was with a full battery and it will show full battery on screen. Now attach an atomizer and it will fire as soon as it makes contact. It tried it several times...attaching and reattaching the atomizer and it kept firing. But as soon as you press the fire button it will say, MOBILE OUT OFF and go back to normal. If you do it enough times I think the device safety kicks in and it actually gave me a message that said DANGER. And turn that mode off for me. Thought you guys should now about this on the V5.

I think this is supposed to act as a charger for your phone...if they made some kind of adapter, 510 to usb phone charger.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

MarkyD

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2013
Blue Ridge
Did anyone measure the mobile-out voltage yet and/or see if its pure dc in this mode? Kinda interested in the Saber flashlight heads but I bet it flickers on 33.3hz pwm. If its pure 3.7vdc or otherwise regulated dc I'll order the 3.7v one. Still using V2/V3 vamos here but my V5 should be here monday, I can test with the fluke scopemeter if no one else has by then.

Last edited:

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Did anyone measure the mobile-out voltage yet and/or see if its pure dc in this mode? Kinda interested in the Saber flashlight heads but I bet it flickers on 33.3hz pwm. If its pure 3.7vdc or otherwise regulated dc I'll order the 3.7v one. Still using V2/V3 vamos here but my V5 should be here monday, I can test with the fluke scopemeter if no one else has by then.
That'd be great

MarkyD

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2013
Blue Ridge
Checked out the V5 output on the scopemeter, mobile-out is 6.05v pwm. So much for my dc idea, but it's still useful. I used a 510->test-probe adapter, but the vamo was picky about not wanting to see low load impedances, maybe output current is more limited in this mode. Even the scope probe impedance was low enough to make it shut off the mobile-out and revert back to vaping mode.

crazyhorse

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
Baja Alabama
Checked out the V5 output on the scopemeter, mobile-out is 6.05v pwm. So much for my dc idea, but it's still useful. I used a 510->test-probe adapter, but the vamo was picky about not wanting to see low load impedances, maybe output current is more limited in this mode. Even the scope probe impedance was low enough to make it shut off the mobile-out and revert back to vaping mode.

The V5 does supply >6V to the pin in the mobile out mode but the charging adapter cuts it back to 5V.

If you check the V5 output with a probe and make any contact with ground, the display says "Short" and immediately kicks the Vamo back into vaping mode

MarkyD

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2013
Blue Ridge
The V5 does supply >6V to the pin in the mobile out mode but the charging adapter cuts it back to 5V.

True, but the question was whether it would work with the Saber flashlight heads without flicker. The heads were designed to work with Saber's mech mods which are pure dc, not pwm. Think Ill save the $18 and buy some nic instead.

If you check the V5 output with a probe and make any contact with ground, the display says "Short" and immediately kicks the Vamo back into vaping mode

Not much chance of that since I used a 510 probe adapter. The vamo didnt like the low input impedance of the test instrument, and I had no problem watching the pwm waveform in normal vaping mode.

GeorgeIIII

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2013
Kingsport, TN
I think it's neat that you could theoretically use a VAMO as a flashlight, or perhaps even an emergency charger. That said, I'll just buy a flashlight rather than take the risk of shorting out my vape stick. If nothing else, I wish they would have incorporated the battery icon on the main display. Easier to read than a number...

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
I remember reading bad things about RainbowHeaven when I first researched vaping.
Didn't they make junk ego batteries or something a couple of years ago?

EDIT - I just did a quick search and found posts from late 2012 saying that Rainbow Heaven is the original Vamo manufacturer. Never mind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread