Status
Not open for further replies.

Bella Chic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2009
Southeast Texas
Alrighty, so I need to get me som XL cartos y'all and I wanted y'all's opinions. I don't like the flanged cartos so those are out. I've been eyeballing the IKenvape 510 Mega Platinum LR S series cartos and think they sound great. I will be punching holes in them myself as well. Has anyone used them? And if so, how are you liking them? I'm so excited about using my new tank :). Oh, and I will be using my ZMax Mini and my Mini Provari. I tend to stay at 4.5 volts or there abouts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bella Chic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2009
Southeast Texas
I use both SR Mega 510-Fusions and SR Mega Platinums on my Provari's and IBTanked. Best cartos that I found. I buy the punched versions. I think you'll like the Platinum S series.

I prefer a cooler vape; thus I use the SR and rarely vape over 4.5 volts.

I'm kinda like you Bad. I rarely go over 4.5 volts either. I enjoy a lil bit of a warm vapor but not to warm, it hurts my tongue when the vapor is to warm. So perhaps I could vape at a lower voltage with these if I find it to be on the warmish side. You have helped me a lot Bad, I really appreciate you.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I use Smok single coil 1.7 or 2.0 ohm XLs, unflanged in 19mm and 22mm XL IBTanked (tanks). I punch them myself for use with a high percent VG juice.

For the past two years I have usually purchased them at Hooier E-Cig. I vape at 6.5 to 8.0 watts.

The LR cartos above are going to run hot at 4.5V. There are also 3.2 ohm Boges on the same page.

Cartomizers

Last edited:

OCD

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2012
California, Kern
www.ibtanked.com
Finding the cartomizer that works for you is crucial. Everyones wants and expectations are so wildly different then when you toss into the mix the variety of flavors along with how they vape, vaping styles and power levels it can be a bit of a journey to find your own sweet spot.

I have some dark buttery rum flavor that is hard on cartomizers even though i rarely go above 3.8V on a 3.2ohm cartomizer. It makes a tasty cloud you can almost chew on the exhale though so I put up with the shorter life on the cartomizers.

Hoosier Ecig has always had decent pricing on cartomizers

Have to ask though... why no flange Chic? I like them because they prevent any chance of shoving the cartomizer trough and into the tank after filling. The tank is going to sit in the same position pretty much flange or not, I can see if you are punching your own if the flange gets in the way of the punching tool but thats about the only downside I can think of.

Bella Chic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2009
Southeast Texas
Finding the cartomizer that works for you is crucial. Everyones wants and expectations are so wildly different then when you toss into the mix the variety of flavors along with how they vape, vaping styles and power levels it can be a bit of a journey to find your own sweet spot.

I have some dark buttery rum flavor that is hard on cartomizers even though i rarely go above 3.8V on a 3.2ohm cartomizer. It makes a tasty cloud you can almost chew on the exhale though so I put up with the shorter life on the cartomizers.

Hoosier Ecig has always had decent pricing on cartomizers

Have to ask though... why no flange Chic? I like them because they prevent any chance of shoving the cartomizer trough and into the tank after filling. The tank is going to sit in the same position pretty much flange or not, I can see if you are punching your own if the flange gets in the way of the punching tool but thats about the only downside I can think of.

Hey OCD, I guess I've always assumed that the flanged part would just get in the way. I do punch my own and thought the flange may get in the way as well. Now, I'm really likening you pointing out the fact that the flange will prevent any chance of the cart shoving through into the tank, didn't even think of that at all, so thank you :). I could always get a pack of flanged for sure.

I do not punch my own cartos, and I prefer flanged. Hear me out, please. I prefer Ikenvape Mega Fusion. If you use the ring that was just released, a flanged carto will sit flush, and you will get airflow from the ring.

I've been wanting to get that ring, so I'm may just get a few things ordered :)

There are good deals here MULTI-PACK DEALS. I plan to use flanged cartos for the reason that OCD stated above but they also sale cartos that aren't flanged as well. Ikenvape sells cartos as well.

Thank you for sharing, I really appreciate that.

OCD

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2012
California, Kern
www.ibtanked.com
Its not a huge deal if you hold the cartomizer right, pinch the threaded part between your thumb and forefinger so that your fingers hit and stop it from going through but honestly like I said if the flange doesnt get in the way of what you are doing it certainly isnt going to hurt being there.

As I always say, cartomizers are cheap... try lots of them from different vendors to find what works for you. Dont let a single one turn you off though because to me the golden rule in cartomizers is getting them set up properly, failing that will alter you opinion greatly. Give a five pack shot at least from any vendor, if things dont work out then ask questions and see if there is something different you can do.

Try different eLiquids and tops on my list from what I see folks posting is lower the power. Just because 5V is in the safe range on a chart doesnt mean you need that to get a good vape. On a Provari I almost never put a 3.2 ohm past 4.2 volts. Sure some will say this is pretty wimpy vaping but remember this device puts this power out throughout the draw unlike a smaller battery device where the power may sag. It may be the style of vaping that suits me in terms of a long slow draw as opposed to a short quick puff but this is also what often suit using a cartomizer in a tank.

For someone wanting a quick short puff with huge clouds of vapor maybe something different entirely is more appropriate. We all are in this search but the quandary is that we are all looking for something different from the next. Carto tanks with Smok, Boge, Iken (which I believe is made by Boge, box is the same anyhow) fulfill that need for many. Others find it in RBAs, Clearos ect... its a tuff road to hoe but the end goal for all should be to help in finding solutions for anyone wanting to give up using their lungs to make ashes.

Bella Chic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2009
Southeast Texas
I couldn't agree more. Everyone's differences are what makes us all unique :). I'm enjoying all the carto mixers I have right now, not 100% sure if they are Boge or Smok and it really doesn't matter because I'm able to fine tune what kinda vape is best for me, which happens to be nice long smooth draws that are just warm enough for me, not to hot and not to cool and also give me amazing taste. I love coming to ECF and being able to get opinions, get help, give help and just see and enjoy everyone's uniqueness. I will give flanged a try for sure now and I'm sure I will be able fine tune them just as I have with these other cartos. Thank you OCD! I really appreciate you.

MrOcelot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2013
New Glarus,WI,USA
I have tried both flanged and non flanged. As long as you are careful with the non flanged ones all will be fine, but flanges allow you to be less careful filling the tank. My first go I pushed the carto way to far in and juice went all over the place. This was my first try so I know how to avoid that in the future, but I may just go flanged to avoid this down the road.

Bella Chic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2009
Southeast Texas
Flanged is starting to sound more and more better. I have a bunch of non flanged and do pretty good with them. I will most deffinitly be ordering flanged though so I can try them out. Sounds like I will most likely like them better, since you don't have to be so careful. Yall have helped me a lot :) and I appreciate it very much.

DJLEC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Union City, California
I use both SR Mega 510-Fusions and SR Mega Platinums on my Provari's and IBTanked. Best cartos that I found. I buy the punched versions. I think you'll like the Platinum S series.

I prefer a cooler vape; thus I use the SR and rarely vape over 4.5 volts.

Baditude, I should just follow you around since you taught me something new again. I was running at 4.8 Volts and just reduced it to 4.5 Volts. Thanks for this.

Cavediver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Buford, Ga
I don't have a ton of carto experience, but I can say that I like the regular length Platinum S LR much better than the Boge pre-punched cartos I was using. I think they give me better flavor, and I like the draw a little better. I have not tried Smok cartos yet, but I can't imagine they'll perform any better than the Ikenvapes.

Just for reference, I'm vaping a DIY 80%PG, 20%VG juice on an unregulated mech. I like a slightly warmer vape with this juice, and the LRs do a fair job delivering it.

IKenvape had the XL length Platinum S LR in stock yesterday (I think they call them Mega). This is great for me since I just picked up a couple of second hand IBTanked XL tanks this week :)

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
I have a rule... never push a carto past an o-ring drip tip end first. Yes, you can get away with that with a tank tool--but what if you don't have a tank tool handy?

What if like me, you've gotten too lazy to use a tank tool? You can leave even a fat drip tip on and just push the flangeless 510 connector down in the tank, leverage the connector over to the side by pushing sideways on the drip tip and fill past the connector with a dropper bottle. When you push the connector end back up through the o-ring, there's no sharp edge to cut or shave the o-ring. Just wipe off the connector as you would after condom filling.

What if you're even lazier? I've been using straight drip tips that fit through the end caps for some time now and fill without removing the carto tank from the mod (possible even with flanged). Just slide the tank up just past the top of the drip tip, leverage the tank over to the side, and fill from that end. The straight drip tip's end protects the o-ring as you slide the tank back down.

With flangeless, it's easier to swap out a dead carto, even with a full tank, without a tool. Put the 510 connector of the new carto in the drip tip end of the old one and push the new carto in past the first end cap's o-ring. Flip the tank over and push the tank down on the new carto until the old one pops out the top and the new one slides past the second end cap's o-ring. No sharp end pushing toward an o-ring.

Besides not allowing filling from the connector end or swapping cartos as above, a flanged carto leaves a gap between the tank and mod unless the end cap is relieved for the flange. The main advantage I see to flanged is you can pull a drip tip off without pulling the carto out of the tank--and that's not an issue if you do that with the carto screwed on a mod.

Of course, this is IMO and YMMV. I'm not a fan of flanged or depending on a tank tool. I'm loving my IBTanked tanks even more with ByLeo Sophias. They're a match made in heaven.

DJLEC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Union City, California
I don't have a ton of carto experience, but I can say that I like the regular length Platinum S LR much better than the Boge pre-punched cartos I was using. I think they give me better flavor, and I like the draw a little better. I have not tried Smok cartos yet, but I can't imagine they'll perform any better than the Ikenvapes.

IKenvape had the XL length Platinum S LR in stock yesterday (I think they call them Mega). This is great for me since I just picked up a couple of second hand IBTanked XL tanks this week :)

Your post reminded me to pull out my LR Mega Platinum S Cartos since I have been using the SmokTek's for the duration of my banner below. My first reaction being used to Flanged was to be careful that I did not pull the Carto through the Tank. Using my Provari as the Anchor I did quite well until I tried it - It was a DOA.

I wish I read the post above earlier since I lost some juice replacing it with the second Carto.

Fired up the second one and I have to agree the LR Mega Platinum S is a fine Carto. I have two new Tanks that just arrived so I will also load them with the IkenVape's to get used to no flange.

Can I live with the SmokTek's - Yes.

*** Update: Would I buy more of the LR Mega Platinum S - No. I discovered today when you pull the Carto down to fill the IBTank the Slot goes past the O-Ring and it leaked from the bottom. I found out today this is a messy Carto for me so I will burn off my remaining and continue in the future with Punched with Flange ***

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread