Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR

homeprogreen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
Sonora CA
Lol. Ok I have to admit that was an enjoyable little trip back out into the wilds of ECF. I will also admit I didn't understand a damn bit of what Dvap was saying other then the part about the longer and more agressive the extraction the more crud your going to get along with the stuff your actually after

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
I'd give him a break. For as much as I'm not a fan of soak type extractions (at some point, you'd just as well smoke), this one is probably a bit cleaner than some others. He's ordered the nicotine determination kit from Wizard Labs (who credit the method back to me on their product page, lol), and he'll find out soon enough that the actual alkaloid content is quite low.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
Lol. Ok I have to admit that was an enjoyable little trip back out into the wilds of ECF. I will also admit I didn't understand a damn bit of what Dvap was saying other then the part about the longer and more aggressive the extraction the more crud you're going to get along with the stuff you're actually after
Basically, the guy got his knickers in a twist because he wanted it to be "WTA extracted via ethanol". What it actually is, is a nice, clean(ish) NET, with a high alkaloid content (for a NET). Wonderboy got 10% alkaloids and 90% other stuff. He should be proud of himself.

I don't know how pure it would have to be for Dvap to call it WTA, but a 10% alkaloid extraction doesn't make it.

I might try making it myself, just to try a NET tobacco. I'd be tempted to buy some Zeolite from an aquarium supply store to mix with the Everclear and absorb some of the 5% water content. That water is catching a lot of resins and tars that I'd rather not vape. I'd suggest doing so in that thread, but the OP doesn't seem the type to want help.:nah:

Edit: in case you guys are wondering, people have been doing "Ethanol tobacco Extraction" since 2008, if not earlier. This guy's big breakthrough is that he did a cold extraction. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he wasn't the first to do so.

Edit 2: Ethanol might get the tobacco specific nitrosamines (carcinogens) too, and if you are using American tobacco which is likely fermented, those are in elevated amounts. That's something that we don't have to worry about in Aroma's WTA because he sources tobacco that is low in nitrosamines.:2c:

...He's ordered the nicotine determination kit from Wizard Labs (who credit the method back to me on their product page, lol)...
You going to hit them up for royalties? ;)

Last edited:

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
In a way I'm kinda over giving a crap about such things. I know what my WTA is, how it's made, who made it, shook his hand. Other people might make WTA in a different way or whatever but what gets me is the way people in the vaping world almost crucified Jerry (and some still try) but the minute some other bozo shows up folks just blindly go "Ooooooo! I want some!"

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
I think I'm pretty much done with that thread. To assume that the product is a "golden alkaloid syrup" is premature at best. Actually, when I quoted a 25% recovery, I was being rather kind. I expect far less recovery than that since I doubt that cold ethanol will touch alkaloid salts present in the tobacco. Then there's the lack of cellular disruption that comes from simply dumping a solvent over tobacco. Powdering the tobacco might help, but powdered tobacco would also give up more of the gunk. I've said it before, soaks are self-limiting.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Soaks are a form of WTA, just not that pure.

Having said that (about not very pure), far more pure than smoking (on that I do disagree with DVap). The extract is less than 1% of the original toacco. The bulk of that is not just harmless fibre - that would be combusted in smoking it.

For a very good DIY method to make a pretty pure WTA that takes only a day (mostly waiting time), with a high yield, see:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...on-method.html

Heat the oil only to 100C if you like, or don't heat it at all - simpler but a bit less efficient (less yield).

See :

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...liability.html

for the enhancement.

No concentration beyond typical e-liquid at any stage (there are only two main steps); suitable for people who can cook or do diy, etc.

It's a base-acid method in which tceight worked out how to maximise the solubility partition transfers using simple equipment and a well-designed approach. Much superior to any NET.

Only a handful of people will try this, even thouh it is simple enough, so Aroma needn't panic. Indeed, someday a newbie will get into this and contribute something new to our understanding.

Alkaloids are unique in being both organic and polar - hence the 2 step base-acid method finally extracts only these. This is why it is superior to NETs.

Commercially they might use an organic solvent such as ether (highly volatile, so difficult to work with, but one can let it evaporate quickly and no partition concern for second stage; so can get a bit more yield) rather than mineral oil but it is essentially the same approach, with similar purity to be expected. That ultimately depends most on careful and patient handling. Where tceight has excelled is in maximising the solubility partitions for greatest yield (particularly in the first step).

Last edited:

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
...Only a handful of people will try this, even thouh it is simple enough, so Aroma needn't panic...
How's this for an analogy? It's the equivalent of adding sugar and yeast to grape juice (and waiting a few weeks) to make alcohol and hoping it turns into a single malt Scotch whiskey.

It might get you drunk, but it ain't whiskey.

Last edited:

Lastlokean

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2010
Red Wing, MN
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...extract-full-strong-buzz-moderate-flavor.html

This thread started off well enough. A guy used a cold ethanol extraction to make a cleaner NET. Now he's claiming to have made a new form of WTA and is badmouthing Dvap. :(

His extract almost certainly has both tar and resin byproducts in it, among other things. I just don't know how to respond to this guy anymore.

I simply started an experiment and publicly noted my discovery/process. You came in fired up on attacking that it was not WTA before any conclusive evidence was in either way. The resulting 'alkaloidal syrups' are never claimed nor expected to be 100% pure. They are expected to have tobacco alkaloids to a certain unknown concentration. FOR SAFETY It was assumed that the resulting oil was 100% pure, this is to avoid overdose in assuming 50% purity when its actually 80%.. (for example.)

I am simply calling out the audacity to the claim that WTA (whole tobacco alkaloid) is something that only DVap can produce. Further more I am making the statement that if you are extracting the terpenes (flavors) from tobacco you are most likely getting some of the alkaloids. These alkaloids are in salt form and can not be verified by DVaps method of acidic titration. If you are referring to WTA as some loosely defined trademarked product, then no I am not producing it.

If WTA is, as the acronym implies, Whole Tobacco Alkaloids then all NETs are an impure form of WTA. The reason your precious titration kit says there is no nicotine, is because it is testing for freebased alkaloids. In nature nicotine exists in the form of polar soluble neutral/acidic salts... Whether or not my 'crude tobacco concentrate' is what you would define as a "WTA", it does indeed contain the full and natural alkaloid spectrum of tobacco. It does indeed taste delicious, provide me a morning nicotine rush like I remember from cigarette days, and most importantly allow me to exist combustion free without cravings.

I have not been intentionally badmouthing anyone. I have simply been defending a well intended scientific experiment among the community. You will notice quite a few people in that thread see my side of things as legitimate.

How's this for an analogy? It's the equivalent of adding sugar and yeast to grape juice (and waiting a few weeks) to make alcohol and hoping it turns into a single malt Scotch whiskey.

It might get you drunk, but it ain't whiskey.

No it would be wine. It becomes whiskey with a specified process of distillation and aging in a wooden cask. That does not stop one from brewing fine single barrel malt whiskey at home. Similar to home extractions/tinctures it is easy to produce garbage. But with good technique/practice it is possible to achieve a very quality result. I've been known to brew a pretty delicious hard cider on occasion.

But were not talking about something as specific as 'Scotch Whiskey'... We are talking about a substance that has a more vague description like YPA (Yeast Produced Alcohol). If someone told me there scotch whiskey was YPA, but my homebrew beer wasn't... I would assuredly call the BS Flag. If they wanted to say there whiskey was 50% pure YPA and my homebrew beer was merely 13% pure at best, my lips would be puckered shut.'

Edit: It is pretty safe to assume the majority of the everclear is gone based on smell and consistency. Not to mention with a ethanol/water all the ethanol would be gone before the water. Even if the resulting tobacco concentrate was 100% ethanol at 24mg/ml one would have to consume a lot more than the few drops consumed from 3-5 pulls on an ecig to get any effect.

Edit2: Sorry to bring this discussion directly into this vendor thread, it feels inappropriate. Yet it feels more inappropriate to not defend myself. If anyone would like to discuss the details further I encourage a friendly open discussion on the matter in my thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread